If you never clean new records, look at this.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ibanez_ax, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've read on some threads where some people never clean new records. I honestly don't understand why. I received One Breath by Anna Calvi today, and this is what the record looks like right out of the sleeve. :sigh:

20140412_161756.jpg

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Paper inner sleeve?

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, as a rule I clean all new records, many seem as dirty as 'used' records. It helps to have a VPI vacuum machine to make the process easy.

Vidiot and PH416156 like this.
  4. ibanez_ax

Sort of. Glossy cover but the inside isn't. After I clean it, it's going into a poly sleeve.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's what I mean... it looks like fibers from the inner sleeve.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just brush it off! Won't that work?

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Even new vinyl that looks pristine has a lot of junk in the grooves. I used to have a Loricraft that collects the fluid in a glass jar, and you could see the murky water and other crap that would end up in that jar.

tmtomh, blackholesun and mikeyt like this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

There have been threads here that mention white powder deep in the grooves of brand new,unplayed records.I have actually used wood glue to clean out junk on the two GZ records I have bought,including such powder.GZ is especially sloppy about quality control.Do they press Domino releases?

9. ibanez_ax

I always wet clean the first time and then use a carbon fiber brush for additional plays.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I bought a used record with white stuff sprinkled inside, Pepsi's rival. :)

11. ibanez_ax

I'm not sure where they're pressed but I think I might have to upgrade from this for wet cleaning if I get many more new records like this and View attachment 349542 especially as I've started to buy used records.

atclean.jpg

12. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Nope, too much static.

blackholesun and MMM like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Okki Nokki ?

14. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

In the golden days of hi-end audiophine vinyl it was de rigeur to thoroughly clean new records to remove stamper lubricant and crap from the post-pressing processes. I can't think of too many times I've pulled a flawlessly new clean record out of a sleeve. :)

15. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

If the record plays quietly, I don't bother. More often than not that's the case for me.

16. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

In my experience most new vinyl is very staticy and crap leaps on it the second they leave the sleeve. I'm sure I spend more time cleaning and zerostating new stuff than I do records I bought decades ago.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

back in the "old" days, almost no one cleaned their records beyond an occasional swipe with a slightly damp, lint-free cloth, if at all. Many of those records still sound good today.

Licorice pizza, Murph and JimD like this.
  18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

There is no separate mold release used for pressing records. The mold release is an intrinsic part of the vinyl formula. There is no residue from mold release.

19. crassus515

crassus515 Forum Resident

They're the worst in my experience. Always come out incredibly static charged and covered in paper shreds/dust. Run through the Nitty Gritty and a new poly sleeve and it's ready to go.

caracallac likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Case by case basis. Of all the LPs that I obtained sealed, opened, visually inspected and determined that wet cleaning wasn't necessary only a scant few in fact needed cleaning. This would encompass approximately 80% of all previously sealed LPs. The other 20% needed wet cleaning based on visual inspection. Of all these LPs 98% are vintage. I rarely buy modern vinyl.

Grant likes this.
  21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have a VPI 16.5 and I never clean my new records. Bite me!

Chip Z, utahusker and The FRiNgE like this.
  22. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I clean every new record with my Spin Clean and it's shocking how much crap comes off these records. You should see what collects on the bottom.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Especially from the late 1970s and early 1980s. :sigh:

GuildX700 likes this.
  24. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I don't know why, but many of my brand new Speakers Corner LPs have been giving me a lot of grief with surface noise the past year. No rhyme or reason, they just take two or three cleans in the Okki and then a few plays and then they're fine, but what a PITA.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What is all the paranoia about this mold release, anyway? I never even heard about it until this forum.

Licorice pizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.