IFi Nano (and Micro)-GAME CHANGERS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow. Juicey! Will check it out.

2. ServingTheMusic

P.S. Can you link the thread?

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

4. ServingTheMusic

LeeS likes this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

LeeS likes this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I thought so too.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

8. ServingTheMusic

Thanks!! With 23 pages you gave me a decent reference point...agree...it got REAL interesting...

9. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Hey guys :wave:

Looking through the specs of the new iFi DAC, it seems that "DoP over S/PDIF" is supported. Does anyone know of any SACD players that will output DoP over S/PDIF?

10. ServingTheMusic

None that I am aware of but there a bunch of streamers that do...basically any streamer that supports 176.4 Khz.

11. gloomrider

Thanks. Still looking for that mythical SACD transport.

12. ServingTheMusic

Yeh i hear you..got 10 grand? A "pro" SACD transport will output DSD via special optical cable.

13. gloomrider

I would settle for something better than an AV receiver that can take DSD over HDMI. I thought the Bryston BDA-3 was it, but alas, it's not to be. :shake:

14. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

I would think it would be wiser to give up on the SACD transport and go the PS3 route for ripping stereo DSD. Once set up, it would be far cheaper in the long run and you have a much more reliable source ripped to HDD's. Being no longer held hostage for the need of a stand alone transport or HDMI AV receiver.

15. ServingTheMusic

The BDA-3 has HDMI inputs, no?

16. ServingTheMusic

In theory I agree. But the ripping process can be tedious and error prone.

17. ElvisCaprice

Another option is to seek someone out that has it down pat and is willing to rip for you. This might be the better option if SACD or at least hard copy dies a slow death and online DSD downloads become the sole option. Guess it all depends on the size of your SACD collection and future needs. I think Ted has shown that this option of ripping SACD is very reliable.

18. ServingTheMusic

Agree. But then again, in the end, spinning SACDs on a good SACD player is not the end of the world.

19. ElvisCaprice

Agree, but it is nice to streamline your entire digital audio collection (even analog drops) into one accessible collection via HDD's, no longer being reliant on any stand alone transports for future playback. I find this simplicity very compelling.

20. gloomrider

I'm thinking there are less than 20 people on the planet who are successfully ripping SACDs. And that includes Ted. I don't have a large SACD collection, around 25 discs or so. The best DSD DAC I currently own is an iDSD Micro. And I sure would like to hear some of the most recent Audio Fidelity SACDs through it. That's apparently too much to hope for still.

21. ElvisCaprice

There you go, get ahold of Ted. I'm sure he would rip em for you if not refer you to someone willing to do so. I think your far underestimating the number of folks ripping SACD out there. If your willing, it's a far cheaper/reliable route to go.
    Another option, If you already own the material, is to use an unsavory DSD source out there, readily available, since you already own the material.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That would run foul of the SACD licensing rules. The DSD stream can only be passed via encrypted links, and the only general link authorized is HDMI.

The problem for the small companies producing DSD DACs is the high licensing costs involved with HDMI, which is why they are going USB.

So, the situation arises where there are cheap options for SACD transports, but no good options for high-quality DACs due to the HDMI limitation.

23. gloomrider

Running afoul or not, at least one company makes a device that will output DoP over SPDIF. And what looks even more interesting is that they started with an Oppo BDP-93.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The Micro looks less attractively priced for home users when you factor in the price of a power supply, which almost doubles the total.

25. ServingTheMusic

Actually the iUSB supply is $199. So it adds about 25% to the cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.