IFi Nano (and Micro)-GAME CHANGERS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

A Schiit Wyrd goes for $99 and is just as effective as iFi's $199 unit. I have listened to both.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

thanks for that report. Interesting.

However I think they are really different designs, no?

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Oh, I had seen it on Amazon for over $400. $199 is not so bad then.

4. gloomrider

You are correct. Most of my testing was using the iDSD Micro. Not saying that the iUSB won't be better than the Wyrd with certain USB DACs. But with the iDSD Micro, it was a wash between the two (Wyrd & iUSB) for me.

5. ServingTheMusic

thanks for those results..ultimately what matters, regardless of design, is the sonics. If one can save a hundred clams, why not?

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The issue is not whether a device can output the raw DSD data, every transport could do that (the SACD decryption needed to be done inside the DAC chips to shield the raw data from the outside world, but that would have meant new DAC chips would have had to be created by all the DAC chip manufacturers), the SACD licensing terms expressly forbid making the raw data available. The DSD data can only be transmitted via an encrypted link, either HDMI (general case) or proprietary (provided it meets Philips'/Sony's requirements). So, what MSB is doing is not permitted. If they have a SACD license, they risk losing it. If they do not, they risk copyright infringement. This is why Oppo, etc. do not make DSD available on anything other than HDMI. They are playing by the rules.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Guess what is needed then is a little box that will convert HDMI to SPDIF or USB then...

8. gloomrider

I'm looking for a viable SACD transport solution for under $5k. I don't mean to be flippant, but I really don't care what "the rules" are. I simply want to be able to play my SACD collection through any of my DSD-capable DACs.

I was asking what was available, not the details of Sony's SACD licensing terms.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And I am merely trying to explain to you why you cannot get what you want. Even if you bought the MSB transport, which DACs support the DSD marker in SPDIF streams?

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

A box which converted to USB and reformatted the DSD to DoP would work (provided it can do the HDCP handshaking). I don't see the point of converting to SPDIF. No current DAC with SPDIF inputs is expecting to see the DSD marker byte.

11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thank you STM for the writeup.

I'm considering a Schitt Bifrost to upgrade from my Modi, which I am using with a Windows laptop and WASAPI. The Ifi Nano looks like a great option for much less $$, and I really like that they offer a Windows driver.

The portability allowed by the battery power is nice, but not something I'd much, if ever, and I'm still not clear on one thing- I think I'm reading that when connected to a USB port on a laptop, the Nano will keep it's battery charged off of USB power. In other words, I can just use it as I do my Modi, without having to worry about running the battery down, as long as it stays connected to the laptop.

Is that correct?

12. gloomrider

That I know of: Geek Pulse and iFi iDSD Pro.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Well, the Pro is not available yet, but I see from a quick Google search that there are about half-a-dozen DACs with this feature. I can only assume it is for those who prefer to use SPDIF over USB on their computers, because no established SACD player manufacturer is going to offer this feature and risk losing all their optical disc licenses, which is the punishment that Philips/Sony will exact.

14. gloomrider

While I appreciate the insight, it doesn't really help with what I'm seeking. Perhaps I should just punt and get one of those "special" PS3s. :rolleyes:

15. keithpgdrb

keithpgdrb New Member

Has a comparison been done of the nano vs micro? Is it worth the extra $200+?

16. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Looking into getting my first DAC.. mainly use for headphones with my laptop at home, as well as going from laptop to AV receiver to speakers.

The nano DSD is 275 here in Canada, and the micro iDAC is 375.

Just wondering what the main differences are and what you guys would recommend.

Thanks!

17. ServingTheMusic

The new iDAC2 has no battery, only hub powered. The Micro iDSD has an internal battery for portability. Other than that, really
    not much difference. The iDSD does have iFI's "iPurifier" technology built in to the USB input. I would probably go with the iDAC2.

18. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

So...dumb question...is the consensus among this group that the iFi Nano is better or about equal to the Schiit Modi 2? That seems like the conclusion to draw from the discussion but I haven't seen anywhere in the thread where someone has done a direct comparison...these do seem to be two of the main contenders in the <$200 DAC category. Tubemagic and Dragonfly also seem to come up a lot.

19. gloomrider

My opinion is that the iFi iDSD Nano is superior to the Schiit Modi 2 (Uber or no). The Schiit unit will not decode DSD. It's important to note that the Modi 2 Uber provides inputs for S/PDIF coax & optical inputs in addition to USB. The iDSD Nano only has USB input, but does provide S/PDIF coax output. Also, the iDSD Nano will drive low impedance headphones directly, whereas the Modi 2 requires an additional headphone amp.

Combine an iDSD Nano with HQPlayer software, and you will take Redbook playback to a whole 'nother level. The Modi 2 will not come even close.

In my experience with a Dragonfly version 1.2, the iDSD provides substantially higher sound quality.

Full disclosure: I own both iFi and Schiit gear and HQPlayer software. I have no relationship with any company and paid full retail prices for this gear and software.

Actuarybrad and Shawn like this.
  20. ServingTheMusic

I agree with all your assessments here.

gloomrider and dmckean like this.
  21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Personally I'd taj the iFi DACs till you are around 800 dollars then look for a Gungnir or Rega DAC. Thats what I did. The Nano bested the old Meridian Explorer that I was using and I also preferred it to the Dragonfly 1.2. Micro idsd is a bit better and I preferred it to the Peachtree DACitx.

22. gloomrider

How did your Nano fare against the Peachtree? Just curious as I have a Peachtree DAC-it-x as well.

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

I only had them together for a short time before I broke the Peachtree. To me the iFi house sound is just preferable. At the time I thought the Nano was more musical and cleaner. The Peachtree was more analytical and hard sounding. It had a touch more detail and bass then the Nano. I had the Nano for use with a laptop on long train commutes not as a replacement. The Micro I did think was a step above the Peachtree plus more flexibility.

24. MoveAlongHome

MoveAlongHome Well-Known Member

Question about S/PDIF coax input/output. Is that just the red/yellow in/out that is basically universal to all amps and receivers?

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would also include the Chord Mojo at $600.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.