Iggy Pop-The Idiot,Lust For Life,TV Eye Live UME Vinyl Reissues 6/2/17 !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

It's definitely a improvement. It still is what it is.

oldturkey, Crazyhorse11 and e.s. like this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Nah, it just seemed like a strange and random thing to bring up. I don't think I've ever seen that problem discussed around here, and certainly not in this thread. And in my 35+ years of record buying, I could probably count on one hand the number of albums I've seen with off center labels. That's why I thought you were talking about off-center pressings, which is a way more common problem (and an actual problem at that).

3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Received limited Lust For Life red (raspberry 180g) from HMV. Again, no mention of 2017 or remaster on record, label or sleeve. Greg@Finyl Tweek on runout again. Download code.

4. Grant Halliday

Grant Halliday Forum Resident

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but the digital versions available on iTunes (and I presume all digital retailers) are now copyrighted 2017, and the on iTunes they're Mastered for iTunes.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Just saw TE at Barnes and Noble. Found the early 90s cd for a couple of dollars not too long ago or I probably would've bought it.

6. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Picked up the standard virgin back to black and it is really good. Compares favourably to the original 70s pressing that my Dad has.

DrZhivago, oldturkey and e.s. like this.
  7. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

Exactly what I'm doing now (with The Idiot reissue).

Jim B. and e.s. like this.
  8. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

I wonder if there a difference between the US and EU mastering, I have the EU back to black 'lust for life' and there's no mastered by capitol in the deadwax.

I never had this on vinyl so I don't have any other copy to compare with but on its own it sounds good but I wouldn't Call it great , maybe not a particularly great recording to begin with?, not sure.

The pressing is very good.

9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I've got both new 2017 E.U pressings of 'Idiot' and 'LFL'. Have really nothing to compare them to, except 4MWB copy of 'LFL', and this probably isn't even worth a comparison. ;). On their own, both very flat, quiet and very listenable. LFL recording is on the Lo-Fi side, but that's a known fact.

Regards

Doctorwu likes this.
  10. Coffeepotman

Coffeepotman New Member

I haven't read this whole thread as it got a little silly in the middle but I can comment on the HD tracks Idiot download and it sounds great to my ears. So much better than the old CD that I have. Going to DL Lust for Life also. Well worth it if the music really matters to you

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Tony Sales interview I just happened to find. He talks about the LFL album about 20min in, and also working with Todd Rundgren, Tin Machine and hanging out with other great names.

12. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

I have to admit that I own the 4ManWithBeards Versions of The Idiot and Lust For Life and I actually never thought they are not good.
    But after I read here that this releases have some serious issues, I gave them a spin again and thought: Something just sounds not right...
    Especially the song China Girl (which is a favorite of mine) sound very quiet and kind of flat...
    So how are the new Sound Of Vinyl releases compared to the 4MWB? Is there enough improvement to buy the albums again?

13. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Has anyone experienced any issues with the hi-res versions of The Idiot or Lust for Life? They play fine on my iMac running Audirvana...I transferred them to a microSD card for use with my FiiO, and they were unlistenable/unplayable, and eventually caused the FiiO to freeze, and I had to reset it. I also put them on to a thumb drive for use with my Sony UHP-H1 Blu-ray player...the files play, but there's an issue with displaying the correct bit rate (these are 192, but I've seen either 96 or no bit rate displayed), and there is EXTREME digital clipping.

What could be the issue? Some kind of DRM? Both my FiiO and my Sony can do 24/192, even DSD files...I've never had this issue with any other hi-res material I've played on either device.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Having compared these to US originals, I can report they're pretty close. The originals are louder and have more "life" than these new reissues, but as I said in an earlier post, if I'd never heard an original copy of one of these albums, I'd be satisfied with these the reissues. I can't imagine they wouldn't be an improvement over the 4MWB copies you have.

15. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

Thought I’d add my two cents for posterity’s sake.

After several listens over a few nights of this Lust for Life reissue (US), I think these may in fact be aaa. This is buoyed by a previous post quoted above.

Since the album has a murky, crowded sound to begin with, its hard to tell definitively. And I’ve never heard an original. But some elements peek out once in awhile that scream “analog” to me — shakers and tambourines, for example.

In any case, I highly recommend these. I just don’t see myself ever finding a LFL in the wild, and even if I do, don’t wanna wait that long to hear this album with quality sound.

And even if it’s not aaa, it truly sounds fantastic, especially for $20.

polchik, katstep and Leviathan like this.
  16. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

My first new vinyl for quite a while, and it’s the same on mine, so must be the whole pressing run? Totally ruins that fadeout drone “finalé” of the album. At least I can take the thing back to a store. What shall I get instead.. hmmm!

oldturkey likes this.
  17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Hmm. I was thinking of trying wood glue until you said that. Never mind - I bought an RCA Deux Disques French Idiot/Lust For Life a couple of months ago and it's pretty much mint. A great release.
    I don't know why there's so much poor quality control on LPs these days. They did have the excuse that there were not many pressing plants these days since vinyl was out of fashion, but they can't use that any more.

18. footprintsinthesand

Nacho hasn't forgotten Iggy's LFL anniversary year and from 10 sources made this video with two tracks (LFL & The Passenger) of the '77 Manchester show with Stacy Heydon, plus interview.

Overfloater8, Ken and Sub 37 like this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

Iggy tells us how the track Lust For Life was born, where, what triggered it and how it was recorded

vonwegen, Ken, oldturkey and 4 others like this.
  20. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I wrote up this mini review of the UMe 'Lust for Life' pressing in another thread a few months back. Figured I'd post it here for anyone who's interested since I saw this thread was bumped.

I recently did a side-by-side 'Lust for Life' comparison between the 2009 4MenWithBeards reissue and the new 2017 Virgin/UMe reissue. I'll preface by saying that the exact same conditions were used for both spins (volume settings on receiver and gain on pre-amp), and I sat at the apex of the equilateral triangle between my tower speakers.

What most jumped out between the two pressings was the separation on the UMe. Each instrument has room to breathe and is audible in the mix. There are so many subtle background instruments that are easy to miss if not listening critically such as cowbells and piano/keyboard keys, and they really shine on this new reissue. By comparison, on the 4MWB these sounds tend to drown in the mix.

The Bowie backing vocals are much more audible as well on the UMe, particularly the "la la las" on "The Passenger." But honestly, they get a bit distracting due to their volume in comparison to Iggy's. They are supposed to be backing, but they are practically the same volume and are distractingly audible. This is not the case on the 4MWB.

Speaking of Iggy's vocals, while one of the signatures of the album is the different effects that his voice is given throughout the record, I noticed that there is an almost echoing kind of sound to it on certain tracks on the UMe which is not the case on the 4MWB. Not reverb necessarily, but very similar to the sound of vocals on the early Sun Records recordings, as if he was singing in a subway-tiled room. I actually really like it, and there is a clarity to it that makes it sound much more lively and intimate. That effect is not evident at all on the 4MWB, and in all honesty, his vocals are often smushed into the mix on that pressing.

Iggy is always out front on the UMe, and like I said earlier, there is so much separation in the instruments. It's just a lively and exciting sounding record. On the 4MWB, everything is kind of smushed together, and some sounds are practically lost in the mix. Tonally though, they are both similar. Similar amounts of bass, similar highs, it's just that on the UMe, it is all more alive. Any questions, just holler.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Great attitude by Iggy. Win/win!
    Maybe it's really obvious but I never thought about Sympathy For The Devil before. I can totally see it.

Wouldn't mind living where Iggy lives BTW.

22. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Are these the Ian Sefchick ones, colored vinyl UMe's? I got rid of my 4MWB Idiot/L4L vinyl recently and was going to search out originals, but came across this thread and your review, I just wanted a little clarification. I see a few different universal UMe reissues on Discogs. Thanks!

23. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Mine is just solid black, and I bought it at Barnes and Noble. I understand that there were colored versions as well because a buddy got a clear vinyl copy when ordering from amazon. As far as I know, these UMe pressings are all the same reissue and there should be no difference in sound quality between colors. Nothing I recall reading at the time of release specified that there was any difference between colors. It was just a luck of the draw deal that you could get a colored copy.

John Bliss likes this.
  24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The coloured vinyl reissues originally came out together as a 3-LP set, packaged in a tote bag last summer. Then some got sold individually, but most of the individual LPs are black wax.

profholt82 and John Bliss like this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I read the whole thread and it seems like both EU and US pressings of Lust For Life are excellent. I guess both would be a great deal and I should chose based in the price, or is one better than the other for some reason?

AcidPunk15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.