Iggy Pop-The Idiot,Lust For Life,TV Eye Live UME Vinyl Reissues 6/2/17 !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I just played Lust 4 Life (US release) and I'm mildly disappointed :sigh:

It's a quiet remaster... meaning, I gotta raise volume by a lot.
    IMO, just an average sounding pressing. Vinyl was slightly dished and had some surface scuffs.

Not 100% certain that it's a product of United Record Pressing but given the physical defects, I'm 95% certain that it is :mad:

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

if it's been cut from the hi-res digital file then it's a loud remaster that's been cut to vinyl at too low a volume. this might explain the surface noise comments of others.
    just speculation from me, i cancelled the vinyl orders assuming they'd be using the hi-res files.

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Do we know if there are any differences between the EU and US re-presses? From what I can gather U.S. versions are 120 g and EU 180 g pressings?

Regards

oldturkey likes this.
  4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That''s a good question. I'd also like to know if anyone has spotted differences (apart from colour natch!) between the HMV exclusive silver & red pressings and the Back To Black European pressings.

I note that for the HMV version Discogs.com states for The Idiot:
    Iggy Pop - The Idiot

but unhelpfully is not so informative concerning the standard EU BackToBlack and no Matrix/Runout details:

Iggy Pop - The Idiot

are both pressings Optimal/Greg@Final Tweek? And are they better than the 1990s EMI America release?
    Iggy Pop - The Idiot
    I expect they aren't going to improve on the 1977 RCA because things like that don't happen do they? :D

Coloured vinyl copies are still being sold at HMV for £21 with free postage - much cheaper than EBay UK where you can expect to pay over a fiver more
    The Idiot (Hmv Father's Day Exclusive - Silver Vinyl)
    Lust for Life (Hmv Father's Day Exclusive - Red Vinyl)
    and black is £17 on AmazonUK.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

This is what I've got in the dead wax for US version of Lust for Life:

B0026275-01-A
    B0026275-01-B

And then Capitol Studios's Ian Sefchick's initials, like so:

[​IMG]

And here's the dead wax for US version of The Idiot:

B0026277-01-A RE1 MASTER BY CAPITOL
    B0026277-01-B RE1

Ian Sefchick's initials are also on this one.

John Bliss and oldturkey like this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Sorry - I realise I should have said 1990 Virgin America.
    It's interesting that so many variants have been released at the same time. Surely they must all be the same remaster, perhaps just differing in the pressing quality?

These are in the top 10 all time records IMO. The Idiot has got to be in my top 3. I've got an original UK RCA which has little a bit of crackle (particularly annoying over the start of Dum Dum Boys and Mass Production), the 1990 Virgin America vinyl in mint which I bought at the time of release and the new US orange remaster which has a few quiet pops on it every time the record goes round and a bit of a warp which can only be seen if you watch the light shining on it. For me the new orange one sounds very good, but not pressed with enough care.

We'll get to the bottom of this even if I have to buy one of each to find out. They're all fairly cheap at the moment except for the Orange US one.
    I'm surprised there's not much input here about these classics. We need to hear from UK buyers!

John Bliss likes this.
  7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

OK. I have bought and received the European HMV exclusive limited to 1500 copies silver (more like grey) vinyl edition.
    I haven't played it yet, but first impressions - the sleeve is dark black and white, but the US Orange edition has a marked greenish tinge to the grey. I quite like the greenish tinge sleeve, but if you look at it next to the UK 1977 RCA it is not as good, and the original has no green tinge. The HMV sleeve looks very dark in comparison, and you can't see the detail on Iggy's hair. On all three the words IGGY POP and The Idiot are not aligned correctly and look as if they have been applied separately by a drunk person looking the other way.
    The reverse sleeve of the HMV has the lyrics on a plain white background, whereas the other two use the grey background from the front sleeve photograph. The labels on the HMV silver do not feature the sleeve photo which is on side B of the US Orange.

Weight:
    First Press UK RCA Victor (Iggy Pop & lyre symbol runout) - 120g
    Orange US - 142g
    HMV silver - 177g

We know that the US Orange vinyl is the "new analogue remaster", but what is the HMV? There is no mention of 2017 or remastering on the sleeve, label or record, just (p)1977. The b side runout has BH71697-01 B1 5377246 GREG @ FT, so it was pressed at Optimal and laquer cut by Greg at Finyl Tweek in London.
    About Us
    This means it may well sound quite different to (and is probably less problematic than) the US (Side A (Stamped)): MASTERED BY CAPITOL (Side B (Etched)): B0026277-01-B RE1.

Anyone got the black vinyl UK version? Please contribute info - I don't want to have to buy it.
    Iggy Pop - The Idiot

8. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I have the UK black vinyl. If no-one else does it first I'll post the matrix info tonight.

oldturkey likes this.
  9. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Looks like we have another variant:

Side A: 19381 1A 00602557366242

Side B: 19381 1B 00602557366242

DrZhivago and oldturkey like this.
  10. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

It looks a lot like the Record Industry scheme.

hamicle likes this.
  11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Does it mention 2017 or remaster anywhere on the sleeve or record, cos it doesn't on the HMV one?

12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Yes, in the copyright credit at the bottom of the back sleeve.

13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

So. How does it sound? Anything to compare to?

Regards

14. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Mine sound great. Got both the idiot and lust for life. Nothing to compare it to though.

DrZhivago and Chop like this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Any of you guys miss the days when you just used to chuck an LP on and enjoy it?

16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Ahhh those were different times...
    simpler days...

John Bliss, Crazyhorse11 and Jim B. like this.
  17. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I think that mentality still actually exists for most of the population that doesn't over scrutinize and bitch about/ return pressings because the labels are of centre

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

You do know what an off center pressing is, right? It's got nothing to do with the labels.

But I do remember the days when off center pressings weren't such a rampant problem with newly pressed vinyl.

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I bought the three-pack of these colour vinyl reissues that came with a tote bag from uDiscover. Sound is pretty good on the studio albums, though I haven't got around to checking out TV Eye 1977 Live yet. Not expecting Sonic Wonderment, exactly, given the source...

20. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Thanks but I do. I'm talking about labels.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My silver HMV Idiot sounds really great until you get to the end of Mass Production where the last minute is plagued by quite loud surface noise like wooshing. Nice depth to the mix though IMO. Clear vinyl Lust For Life sounds better than I've heard it before (Virgin cd only). No complaints about that.

22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I enjoy it so much I bought it twice. :D

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Where were people "bitching about/returning" records for having off center labels?

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You mean the days before we decided to join this forum? :whistle:

25. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Jesus man. Seriously? I've seen it in numerous threads. General comment. Want me to give you links?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.