Ike & Tina

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I just watched the Tina Turner "Celebration" DVD and it has me itching for some classic Ike & Tina. Thing is I've never heard any good sounding Lp's or Cd's from the classic 1960-1972 period. I love "River Deep, Mountain High" and the early Sue stuff. I also dig the late 60's funky stuff. Any good sources for this stuff?

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Good stuff! I have an EMI Legends of Rock N' Roll series CD entitled "Proud Mary, The Best of Ike and Tina Turner"...catalog number CDP-7-95846-2 (released in 1991). I'm not sure if it's still in print, but I still see it in stores from time to time. Nice sound on this one. Many CDs from this series were remixed by Ron Furmanek...this was not. All 23 tracks are the original mixes. They were remastered from the original 2-track and full-track masters. The tracklisting is as follows:

1 A Fool in Love
    2 I Idolize You
    3 I'm Jealous
    4 It's Gonna Work Out Fine
    5 Poor Fool
    6 Tra La La La La
    7 You Should'a Treated Me Right
    8 Come Together
    9 Honky Tonk Women
    10 I Want To Take You Higher
    11 Workin' Together
    12 Proud Mary
    13 Funkier Than a Mosquita's Tweeter
    14 Ooh Poo Pah Doo
    15 I'm Your's (Use Me Anyway You Wanna)
    16 Up In Heah
    17 River Deep, Mountain High
    18 Nutbush City Limits
    19 Sweet Rhode Island Red
    20 Sexy Ida (Part 1)
    21 Sexy Ida (Part 2)
    22 Baby-Get It On
    23 Acid Queen

That's all but three of Ike and Tina Turner's Billboard chart hits. The three missing reached #95, #98, and #59. Nice CD if you come across it. Check the online retailers...somebody probably has it. :)

3. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

4. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Ihave "working together" which has proud mary on it, from what I can recall it sounds good and I was justhappy just to see it on cd.

5. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Great! I'll give it a try!

6. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I have the '91 EMI I&TT CD and can also recommend it.

FYI, Steve mastered "It's Gonna Work Out Fine" on the '87 Garland/DCC "Foot Stompin' Oldies" CD ... but that one is hard to find.

I was fortunate enough to attend a private party in the early '70s where Ike & Tina and the Ikettes performed. I watched two sets standing less than 10' feet away from Tina ... she was awesome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.