Ikea Atlanta Store Claims Big Changes Afoot for Expedit Shelving

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I have not been able to confirm for myself but a friend is saying the store manager says they are phasing out current stock and possibly bringing back a new design that is thinner and weighs less.

Given the strong sales and longevity of the product, I am a bit surprised by this.

Has anyone else heard about this?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, it has been discussed elsewhere.

3. LeeS

Another friend has confirmed.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Solid wood along with a backboard would be welcome improvements. I have two that I use (a 5x5 and a 4x4) and they are the cheapest thing that can hold the most vinyl. In my next house I plan on doing builtin shelves as I hope to have my own listening room and not just the spare bedroom. If the quality is high enough on the new expedit I'd consider those as getting a carpenter to put in these type of custom builtins is outrageous.

ellingtonic likes this.
  5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Hmm...part of what I like about the Expedit line is the beefy outer frame.

jeffreybh and LeeS like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Me too.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ironically, I just went to IKEA yesterday to buy an additional Expedit.

I posted in another thread about my search for a black/brown 2x1 "wall" unit. Turns out, this model is officially discontinued. They still have displays in the store, but no pricing/SKUs.

I ended up with a 2x2 and it is working out fine.

Interestingly, the Expedits are Made in the USA :cool:

dcgl22 likes this.
  8. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

The outer frame on mine seem like balsa wood in comparison to the inner shelves. Mine are several years old tho...it is possible that they have been changed before.

9. LeeS

If they come out with a better design with a black/brown option then I am all for it. This is a bit of an Ikea staple so I hope they are thoughtful with whatever they do.

10. danner

danner Forum Resident

Damn. I've been meaning to make a trip out to Atlanta for the sole purpose of buying another Expedit shelf. Guess I should get on that soon.

11. LeeS

It would also be nice if Ikea would bring back CD inserts for the Billy shelves but I suspect that they suspect the market is not big enough.

scott palmiter likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

They are not even stocking the Benno CD towers at local Ikea.

13. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

Just checked my local Ikea and they are still there, but are called dvd towers.

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Just checked....no stock in Bay Area (not even West Sacramento). Shipping charge is $$$

15. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I'll reserve judgement and wait to see what the new ones look like. I really like my 4x4, just got it in November.
    Agreed! Also, I hope they keep all the shelf/door/basket options.
    Hm, lots in stock here in Winnipeg, maybe it's a US shortage? They are listed as DVD towers here too.

16. LeeS

I use a 4x4 as a room divider and it works very well.

17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

That is bad news. I would have rather had them up the price than lower the quality. Does this trend always seem to happen? An increase of 10-15% would not have been a deal-breaker for me. I will not buy cheaper. I have to do that all too often in my middle class existence.

erniebert likes this.
  18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I ended up making my own version for storing CDs in the Expedit.

19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I was there yesterday and they had them. They also sell 7" deep Besta units that work for CDs as they sell extra shelves to add to them. Their 2'x4' unit would hold a few hundred CDs with a couple of extra shelves.

Bill

20. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I just helped a friend do a music room. Using the 7'' deep Besta we made storage for 3,000 ish CDs. Went floor to ceiling and they look great!

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Oh, really? That 7" unit would save me a ton of space. Better visit soon.

22. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The IKEA website is showing the Expedit listed among their ''new'' products, so it looks like whatever they were gonna do, they've done it.

23. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

when was this alleged discontinuation of the expedit to have taken place? I just bought a new one from the Ikea in Brooklyn about three weeks ago and there was nothing out of the ordinary going on with the display for expedit units

24. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Had them in stock at the Ikea in Elizabeth NJ last Friday. Were still labeled as Benno CD towers.

25. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

I hear you, Jim. But thinner and lighter doesn't necessarily mean poorer quality. A lightweight solid wood could be used. Not all of Ikea's product updates are for the worst. Let's wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.