Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

29lbs per shelf

44lbs 1 oz if you hang the 2x2 on the wall (not recommended)

If I had to guess, I would say a full cube/shelf of records would be right around that 29 pound mark. It's been done 1000s of times since the Kallax came out. You are most certainly safe.

We've all seen the pics of the old collapsed 5x5 Expedits, but can anyone confirm seeing a Kallax 4x4 that has collapsed? (I don't think they make a 5x5 Kallax) Just wondering if they may have looked at that issue when redesigning, other than the assembler making sure it is oriented correctly.

To answer your earlier question, no, there is no reinforcement needed for a 2x2.
    :righton:

CBackley likes this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

They do make a 5 x 5 Kallax -- I have two of them, as pictured upthread. I had a 5 x 5 Expedit I'd had for 10 years before switching over to Kallax, and never had a problem with it. The 5 x 5 Kallax seems sturdier, though.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. CBackley

Aaaaaagh! I was on step two (step two!) of building my 2x2 Kallax, and a stupid wooden dowel broke off inside on the holes on the top piece. Ugh. I tried drilling it out, but it's not working so far.

There are two dowel holes next to each other in every place where a dowel is supposed to be inserted. Can I just use the other hole for the dowel? Would that weaken the shelf?

5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I think you'll be fine as long as you're using the short piece as support

e.s., eddiel and CBackley like this.
  6. CBackley

I was thinking about getting some L brackets or corner braces to add a little support, by screwing them into the corners inside each cube (near the back, where they won't hit my records). Does anyone have any suggestions about what size brackets or screws I might use? I'd rather not shred the particle board.

Also, any suggestions for how to remove a broken-off wooden dowel? I tried drilling it out, but it didn't work. I'm so terrible at this stuff.

7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I would try a wood screw into the dowel and then pull.

eddiel likes this.
  8. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

jerol

Gabe Walters and Chris C like this.
  9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I purchased Target’s equivalent. It’s called the 6-Cube Organizer Shelf 13" - Threshold™. It’s currently $59.99 for the six section unit, however it was on sale for $45 during the holidays, and I received an additional 10% discount because I purchased online and picked up at the store, final price $40.50. Available in four different colors.

https://www.target.com/p/6-cube-organizer-shelf-13-threshold-153/-/A-50253251?lnk=rec|slp|search_bought|slp|50253251|1&clkid=48c0159dN5ee2f48aaea5189b38be3889&lnm=143415&afid=VigLink&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.