Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Got the pair of 5x5 Kallax built, minor less-than-flat basement floor / seam issue required a shim, but otherwise, great.
    I did reinforce by screwing on 3/16" plywood panel backs, seems very solid.

[​IMG]

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

We're moving into our new house end of June and I have an older 5x5 Expedit. I'm wondering it it would look odd buying the 5x5 Kallax and putting it next to the Expedit. Part of me is thinking to track down a used 5x5 rather than the possible mismatch. Has anyone seen an Expedit and Kallax side by side?

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Does the Denver Ikea have the 5x5's in stock?

4. vinylsolution

They had loads of them 2 weeks ago when I was there, all finish / colors.
    Can't say for sure today, you might have to call ahead, as they don't list them on the website for some reason.
    The item number is 703.057.95 from my receipt.
    Typing to their online ask Anna bot offers no help....

jon9091 likes this.
  5. Or buy two new Kallax so in case you expand in the future And you can Craigslist your Ex

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Cool...thanks much.

7. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

8. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

9. vinylsolution

Yep, I saw those, mentioned earlier in the thread. They look much nicer online than in person, initially planned to buy them, but pretty shabby fit and finish for the price.

$35 bought me thin plywood backs for the Kallax units... Way better value.

jon9091 likes this.
  10. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Good idea.

11. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Checked Ikea online and did not see any 5x5 Kallex shelves (only 4x4). Do they make them now? What I'm really searching for is a 1x5 that I can lay across the top of my 5x5 Expedit

12. vinylsolution

Yep, mentioned a few messages up, they do not list the 5x5 online, not sure why, but I put the product number there, you can call the local store to verify...

Engineer X likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I had a look at these today, the display unit didn't look anywhere near as nice as the picture above, badly fitting seams and doesn't look either sturdy or classy, I'll stick with the Kallax although I forgot to check on whether my local Ikea stocked the 5x5 Kallax.

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I built a Nornas this weekend and the fit is incredible and the thing is so strong I can stand on it. Seriously. I ditched the ugly, flimsy fiberboard back, it isn't needed for structural integrity.

Disclaimer: I wood glued the whole thing, that's why it's a tank. Wood glue and weight or clamp it as you go, spend a couple days because you need to let the wood glue dry after each step before moving on to the next.

[​IMG]

(I'll be sanding the glue residue from the solid pine before I stain/finish, haven't decided what finish I'm going to use yet)

This line from Ikea, if wood glued, is a whole level of quality than any of their prior shelving units.

Donniej, Aftermath, kbuzz and 3 others like this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think Ikea need to get you, that puts their display unit to shame.

16. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Think it would be possible to add some doors to this? I need to be able to keep cats and kids out of my records :)

17. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

This is the 2x4 upright unit http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40280937/ , correct? Why is it less $$$ than the http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70282572/ ??? are the shelves/sides/top/bottom thicker or something? Larger 'bins'? They seem to be the 'same size' bins to me but maybe I'm missing something. Well, maybe the 1x3 unit's bins are larger, I hate that they don't just list the opening sizes. Also, the 1x3 unit is described as a 'bench' so maybe the wood is thicker ...

18. Michael St. Clair

Well, they aren't going to use wood glue, telling buyers to use it puts it beyond the difficulty level they strive for. And their in-house guys aren't exactly competent.

I think they sell Kallax doors that would fit, but I wouldn't put cheap particleboard doors in a hardwood unit.

Their pricing makes no sense. Yes, the 2x4 unit and 4x2 unit are the same structure with different bases, and the 1x3 is the same construction but tiny, and the prices are all out of whack.

You can definitely orient the 2x4 unit vertically and not use the feet/base if you want to get the most cubes for the lowest price, but in a vertically oriented unit.

Rick58 likes this.
  19. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Heck, I think I'm gonna buy this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00280939/ plenty of room for my records (small collection) plus room for whatever, and my old iMac (and work laptop when I bring it home) will fit on top nicely and be at a good height.

PS/edit: WHAT ???? $99 for shipping/delivery? Guess I'll be making a trip to West Sac ...

20. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, it's a long heavy package.

If you wood glue it I suspect it will last the rest of your lifetime and endure many moves.

And it is the perfect height for practicing your DJ sets. ;)

Rick58 likes this.
  21. Michael St. Clair

Rick58 likes this.
  22. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I'm trying to figure out if I have to pay to get them to ship this to my 'local' store (still 50 miles away) ... it says
    "Only available by order with delivery where delivery fees apply at IKEA CA, West Sacramento" ... I've asked them "what the heck does this mean ???" ... we'll see. I'm afraid it means I pay $99 for delivery no matter what ... :mad: o_O :sigh: :cussing: :shrug:

23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

YEP, it means the only way to buy it (if it's not stocked at your 'local' store, which this is not) is to have it shipped from the warehouse ... minimum cost $99, but delivered to my (new) door, I guess if I want this will have to bite the bullet. $278 (plus tax?) seems steep for this but if I don't find something I like better I'm gonna do it. I figure if I glue it together as MSC suggests, I'll pretty much last my lifetime.

24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I checked out the Nornas line in person and wish I didn't already have three Expedit units, they're that much nicer. Assembled like Mike has, with wood glue, and then finished with a stain or even some sort of clear coat and they're a very solid, long lasting piece that will age well.

Anyone in SE PA looking for some Black-brown Expedits?

Bill

Rick58 likes this.
  25. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Thanks Bill! Good to have a review. I could go drive 1.5 hrs RT (and spend another hour just finding the darn things, the place is HUGE) just to look at a different piece in the line (they stock a couple of them, just not the one I want of course!), but I like the look and etc. enough from my office here that I'll likely just buy the piece I want online. I'm not a big IKEA fan so wouldn't be going for any other reason ... but these seem like the best solution I've seen so far for my needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.