Ikea Expedit LP book shelf $69 bargain

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found a really nice 8 section lp black bookcase at Ikea for a bargain of $69. Very easy to put together and very solid with 2" wide vertical sides and top and bottom pieces. The 8 sections handle all my vinyl in a very neat way. They also have a 4 wide 4 x 4 section high model. Mine is 2 sections wide and 4 sections high at about 60" tall. It was time for me to start storing my vinyl properly. Other colors slightly more. Audiophile bargain.

I know some of you have so much vinyl that this may turn out to not be so much of a bargain afterall.

Ewon Mac likes this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

Taken on iPad from where I'm sitting right now. The wife likes it. The Rega does really well atop it.

Attached Files:

kBear, nbakid2000, Earwax and 5 others like this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've been using Expedit cases for all my vinyl for several years now. Great stuff, extremely sturdy.

4. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Be very careful stacking them the wrong way... James I see you have yours the wrong way, but I think you are fine with a 2x4. Any Expedit shelf larger than the 2x4 oriented the wrong way runs the risk of collapse. Ideally, you want to have the vertical middle slats supporting the horizontal ones.... Yes, these cases rule.

jkev2 likes this.
  5. Bought my first Ikea Expidit 8-section unit some 6 years ago and haven't looked back.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Do these things really need to be screwed into a wall?

7. james

james Summon The Queen

Are you saying this unit is supposed to be 4 high and 2 wide?

8. Dougie Gibson

Dougie Gibson New Member

No I've seen them comeing off the wall at a right angle and used as a room devider.

I've put a bit of wood slatting, 1*1.5 inches inside the shelves to stop the records sliding through.

9. doesn't your equipment slide off in that angle?

rxcory, beowulf, mickster and 4 others like this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Technically I guess yes. The way ikea sells them and displays them is in the 4 high config but for it's intended purpose (by ikea and hence not a vinyl storage unit) it doesn't matter since you're suppose to stay within the shelf weight range.

I think having it as 2 x 4 should be fine (I'll be doing just that very soon).

I'm going to consider some sort of additional support such as corner braces but not in which way just yet. I also though of adding some plywood to the back. You can screw it on as the edges of the trip is wood for about 1.5 inches or something like that. If you google Ikea hacks you can see the insides of some of these units. One guy turned his 4x2 into a 3x2.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Is needing new storage a result of visiting Mr Metz? :laugh:

12. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

Yeah. I opened the pic on my phone vertically and the vinyl was stacked vertically. Aaaagh!!! Properly storing lps indeed.

Here's mine if the attachment worked. In basement on a slab. AR/XA doing fine atop it

Attached Files:

kBear and Rubber65 like this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol. No it's just made the problem worse. :)

It also helps that I forgot to buy some records due to the rush!

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Ikea used to sell a box called the Trissa that was perfect for storing records and had the advantage of being stackable into whatever configuration you like. Alas, they discontinued it a couple of years ago and none of their current storage box options do the job. Wish I had bought a few more Trissas when I could. . .

15. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Forum Resident

Bought one about 5 months ago...works for me...

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The 2X4 case can be placed on it's side. I just looked in the manual that came with mine. No stacking of cases.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Pretty cool IKEA video...Harry's Records.

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

And! Excellent isolation platforms! Non-resonant, perfect for turntable placement. One could reposition these as audiophile furniture and sell for a grand a pop.

19. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

I added the metal legs to mine and a 4x4 block of wood under the middle to hole the weight. In use for years with no issues.

[​IMG]

Fruff76, Dr. Metal MD, kBear and 9 others like this.
  20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Can somebody remember who makes the individual storage cubes that stack vertically? They hold LP's very well.

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Great idea. They sell those feet?

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kBear and LeeS like this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Ikea Expidit rules. Without it I would have had to sink a lot of money into bookcases for my albums.

[​IMG]

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I use two 2x4 cube Expedit shelves side by side. My main rock and pop shelf is a 4x4 Expedit shelf.

I like the Expedit and Billy shelves from Ikea. They hold up surprisingly well and look great in black/brown.

24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

----------------
    No, they are plenty sturdy. I am amazed at what $69 bought.

Alan2, drivingfrog and jeffreybh like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

My Expidit wall of vinyl is not anchored at all. It is free standing and sturdy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.