Ikea Expedit LP book shelf $69 bargain

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thanks for the update. Thinking of picking up a 4x2 Kallax. Does anybody know fi the new Led Zeppelin Super Deluxe boxes fit in a Kallax shelf?

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think they do. Someone mentioned in one of the Zeppelin remaster threads their box set didn't fit in their Expedit shelf and the Kallax have the same internal dimensions as the Expedits.

3. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I just tried with my Expedit 4x4, they fit-but just barely.

Nice to read some feedback re: the sturdiness of the Kallax. I'm out of space with my 2 walnut finish Expedit 2x2's so the plan is to buy a 4x4 Kallax in black/brown with framed by a couple of 1x4.

eddiel likes this.
  4. I like the look of the 2x4 sitting lengthwise, but that puts all the weight on the dividers instead of the proper shelves. A pair of 2x2's will have better structural integrity for that use, and the thick separation in the middle adds a striking look, and an inch or two more shelf space on top. :)

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've recycled them now, but I'm sure the 2 x 4 instructions specifically mention using it lengthways, even putting wheels on it, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about, although if you prefer the look of two 2 x 2s go for them.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I've had mine sideways and packed to the gills for a couple of years now....no problems (knock on fake Ikea wood). But now I'm way out of space, and need a big boy. I guess it will be the new 4x4. I wonder why they discontinued the 5x5?

7. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Just a quick update on the Benno CD towers. An employee at my local Ikea said that the Bennos are being discontinued in August, but will be replaced with a new, similar product. There is already a product code for the new towers, but no more info available at this time.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I checked out the Kallax shelves at Ikea. I use Expedit shelves at home. I like look of the Kallax's thinner outer edge, compared to the thicker outer edge of the Expedit. It looks less clunky, and I always thought the Expedit's thick outer edge called attention to the furniture not being solid wood. I don't think either looks or feels like better material than the other.

On the white Kallax, I noticed that the outfacing edges has a gloss finish, but the top of the unit has a matte finish. (The colored Kallax units have gloss finish all over.) The Expedit had two white models, one with gloss finish model all over, and another with matte finish all over.

Ikea furniture is constructed with a honeycomb structure inside. Given their honeycomb construction, I wonder if the thinner edge of the Kallax is sturdier than the thicker edge of the Expedit, as well as being less prone to waviness.

If you don't know what Ikea's honeycomb construction is, these links shows the insides of an Expedit and Lack table.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Expedit-Bookcase-Size-Reduction/

http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...actories/videos/ikeas-honeycomb-construction/

hi_watt and superstar19 like this.
  9. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Kallax still looks like the quality is still there. I may need another shelf this year so I may take a trip into ATL by Georgia Tech and check out the new ones. My old one sure does a great job with my LPs.

10. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I was in my local Ikea for the first time in years and had a little time to check these out. My wife and I both liked them, and they are getting a lot of in store promotion. My wife was shocked these would be mentioned in a music forum. Looks like my long lost record collection will be getting a more prominent home in the near future!

soundboy, DarkAudit and jon9091 like this.
  11. jon9091

Has anyone put a 4x4 up on the Ikea metal legs...4 inch variety?

12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have multiple shelves with only 28 albums each (no boxes), fully packed :D

13. jon9091

28??? Are they making 600 gm super deluxe editions now?

14. tubbyslion

tubbyslion Forum Resident

Four complete mono and stereo runs of Impulse!?

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Close, 500 gram ;) These things eat up a lot of Expedit space, 4 shelves worth

[​IMG]

Brudy, jon9091 and Jerry James like this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I simple loved the old Expedits, haven't tried the Kallax yet, but the way vinyl releases are coming out...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    SandAndGlass, Jtycho, Rupe33 and 4 others like this.
  17. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

im looking for some baskets/something for hanging file folders for the expedit. i've seen them *somewhere* ....but where?

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm really hoping they bring back the 5x5.

jon9091 and Dubmart like this.
  19. jon9091

20. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

21. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

22. I tried a Lekman box. With the lip in the way, records go in the same way as without the box, which defeats the whole purpose of having the box.

23. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am about to build a 4 x 2 and make it a changing table. I will double check that records fit but it sounds like there are no issues there.

24. Will there be a diaper bin built in too?

25. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

So, yes, at least fresh/unused storage courtesy of some ikea box that fits nicely into the shelves.

The Kallax was easy to build and comes in cool colors - we selected this Turquoise color for the changing table -'and I confirmed that records fit into it. I don't plan to use this one for record storage but it would work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.