Ikea Expedit LP book shelf $69 bargain

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sakuraba

sakuraba Forum Resident

quicksrt, superstar19 and DaverJ like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Seasonal bump as folks are doing their spring cleaning / new organizing of LPs, always an active topic!

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  3. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

just did that tweak myself yesterday, and damn it works quite well. plus, everyone is dumping their summer stuff for back to school. scored 12ft. of pool noodle for $3 yesterday.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Does anyone use Ikea's Eket Series for LP storage? If so what are your thoughts? I was going to buy a 1 x 4 Kallax unit on sale this month, but the Eket boxes are just big enough to store LPs too, and they offer almost endless configurations. But there's next to no mention of them on this forum. They're not as deep as the Kallax/Expedit, so record spines stick out a little, but I don't mind that. They're also not as much of a bargain, but still very cost effective.

5. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

They are fine for standard size jackets, but will be tight with anything oversized. They’re decently sturdy - I’ve used the cubes as speaker stands as their footprint perfectly fits some vintage speakers I have.

waaguirr likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Stick with the classic that works.

There is nothing wrong with having a great hiding space (behind records) for loose cash, stash, and change.

Vinyl Addict and superstar19 like this.
  7. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

...or dust bunnies and cat hair ;)

8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I wouldn't want any records protruding off the front of the shelf. That's just asking for them to get damaged (i.e. bent jackets).

ronbow likes this.
  9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’ve also been using expedit shelves for years. Perfect fit for lp’s and not too expensive. I have some shelves from CB2 that work well also, but not as inexpensive as the Ikea.

10. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I posted some pics of how I use the Eket in the pics of your room/system thread. I like the Eket quite a bit because of how sleek they are. The Eket fits standard LPs just fine. It's a mixed bag with gatefolds and thicker vinyl. I have no problem fitting all of my Music Matters Jazz Blue Note reissues. Spines do not stick out at all. I do use a couple of Kallax units in other parts of the house. Here's a couple of pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Josquin des Prez

That room looks really nice. The larger Eket's look good. They would never work in my room, with my collection, but I think they work well in yours.

I'm using the Kallax in gloss white. It's a nice contrast for my piano black speakers and subs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    jon9091, Denti, superstar19 and 6 others like this.
  12. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I like these units too and wish I had more room for them. I had a couple of 5x5 Expedits when I lived in an old warehouse apartment loft and used them as dividers/walls to break up the space. I don't think you can beat them for value and function.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  13. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

WOnderful room. Wish I could hear the system!
    What's the nice wooden LP holder to the right of the turntable that's holding Basra? I like it.

14. Josquin des Prez

thanks...we enjoy it a lot

The record rack is from Prathermade.com. I'm now working with them on a custom one in ebonized ash to match my Naim Fraim racks it sits on. single rack - signature series

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Pioneer RP-BS22 pair are $59 shipped in USA from eBay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.