I'll show you mine, if you show me yours

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Bradley,

I have the same space problem. Everyday when I get home from work, my wife explains to me that my stereo is taking up waaaaay too much space.

As Tony Soprano says, "Whatcha gonna do?"

Jeffrey

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Right, you can't do anything and neither can I, Jeff.

3. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

Ferric Man,

Cool setup. Clean. What kind of speakers are those?

Tom H

4. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Pyramid (Sequerra) Met 8 Woofers - 12" sealed woofer + passive crossover
    B&W DM601 Mid/ tweeter

Scott 340B tube receiver 7591A output tubes 30w/ch

Rotel RCD-965BX as a transport
    Theta Timebase Linque Conditioner (Anti -Jitter) w/ outboard power supply
    PS Audio - Digital Link 2 DAC w/ outboard Power Supply

Cardas Interconnects
    Kimber 8TC speaker cable throughout

ASC Tube traps in the corners
    Foam Panels on front walls, side and ceiling
    sand bags all over the place
    and bicycle innertubes under the electronics

Panamax 1000 power protector
    dedicated 20 amp circuit
    Realistic TV/FM Antenna in the attic. can't put outside of condo.

sound is best with the blinds closed in front of the sliding glass doors on the left side.

excellent soundstage and imaging :)

5. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

I bet it sounds great.

Have you ever taken two of those Foam Panels, and placed them on the wall directly behind the gear, stacked one on top of the other? Bottom edge of the bottom panel would be about level with the gear, and the top edge of the top panel would be level with the top of your tube traps.

My guess is that it would provide even greater focus, while also offering some needed diffusion at that point of reflection.

Just a thought. I also have window issues. 14' high in a loft space. Blinds helped, but I finally put up two chinese folding screens, one on each side (as the other side has a wall and no windows), which provided much needed uniformity and dispersion.

If I could ever get around to working out the digital video camera, I'll take some shots and post.

Tom

6. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

That's a good suggestion. I have spent many hours moving the foam, tube traps and speakers. Having foam in the front-center above the equipment stand seems to make a "hole" in the centerstage sound. I will try a piece right behind the rack again.

A few months ago, I removed all the foam from the front wall. Sometimes, the best way to evaluate a change ,e.g., tweak, electronics, is to remove it. Uggh. way to much reflectivity. high frequency overload. It went back up quickly.

Now...The sound is higher than Jimi's Marshall stack :D I'm listening to "South Southern Delta". MCAD-11684 3/4 of the cuts sound excellent.

FM

7. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

You may also want to try the RPG diffractal product, or something similar. If the foam caused you to lose center image, it's acting as an absorption product. There are other dispersion, diffusion products which when placed behind the rack will actually help the image and sound.

Happy listening...

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.