SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Hi Steve:
    You have mentioned in 2004 that the Bob James SACD "Hi-Fi" on Audio Fidelity was mastered from the original dbx-encoded Rudy Van Gelder mixes and it was a nightmare to remaster because you have to look for the right equipment to decode the tapes.
    According to Audio Fidelity, it was one of the first choices of Marshall Blonstein for AF SACD release on his audiophile label and Bob James himself was involved in the song selection for the SACD.
    Do you have any plan of releasing albums in the same jazz genre as Bob James (pop jazz/jazz- fusion/ cool jazz) for audiophile release in the future on either SACD or audiophile vinyl? Examples of artists in that jazz genre include popular artists such as Deodato, Dave Grusin, Michael Franks, Ahmad Jamal, Earl Klugh, George Benson, David Benoit, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington, Chuck Mangione, Astrud Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Alphonse Mouzon, Crusaders, Noel Pointer, Weater Report, Gato Barbieri, Flora Purim, etc. I'm sure only a few of them were dbx-encoded.
    How about some classical jazz albums such as the popular Claude Bolling works with Jean-Pierre Rampal specially the popular 1975 album called "Suite For Flute and Jazz Piano Trio"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, it all depends. Who owns the music, the artist or the record company? If the record company it's (usually) easier, they just grant the license to us and that's it. If owned by the artist, it's way more complicated. Sometimes they want to be involved (Ray Charles), sometimes they don't care (most everyone else) and sometimes they just want the money (best, easiest).

George P likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

I'm just a gun for hire. I hope all good music in the world comes out in a good sounding format.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oooh, I love the Bolling Suite! First ran into him in the film version of Neil Simon's California Suite, then happened upon the LP among a cabinet of promo albums in the back of a radio station nobody ever gave a second thought to (because, well y'know, nobody actually wants to hear those, right? Might as well stick them somewhere until they could make room in the dumpster...:shrug: ) ...that was my first inkling that the radio business had nothing to do with either music, or the love of same.

john lennonist likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Steve- I asked about this in a Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus thread but you might have missed it, any reason why the DCC gold Prestige CDs sound quite different from the OJC CDs? Were the latter not flat transfers? If you can't reveal this, that's fine :)

Now my memory is a bit fuzzier since I didn't write this down, but I seem to recall the DCC sounding more aggressive and "alive" both meant in a good way. I think I felt this about other DCC Prestige CDs compared to OJC like some of the Miles Davis/Coltrane quintet albums.

6. Steve Hoffman

Nothing was a flat transfer in either case, that's for sure. The OJC was mastered by one dude, the DCC Gold CD by another dude at a different place. Both think they have the best sounding. Thankfully, most of you like the Gold CD dude's version(s).

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yes, most definitely prefer the DCC and it's the jazz that are among my favorites among the DCC releases mostly just due to my tastes in music.

8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

The Wes Montgomery discs from DCC are one of the "Crown Jewels" of my collection.

George P likes this.
  9. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

There are actually lots of audio engineer jobs in the video game and movie industry. But you won't work with old tapes and you won't be able to remaster old albums :) . I'm doing this for 20+ years now.

10. Steve Hoffman

Worked hard on those Wes albums. Some of my favorite jazz.

ropiyas, Jfkaess, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

What shocks me about this is the following: let´s say you call an artist to ask/offer to release their albums in higher quality, with better care/work from what they already have and the artist and the record company agree on this. Is it the same as saying “sure go ahead, what we did and release is no good enough, we didn't care”?

12. Steve Hoffman

All we say is "collector's edition" at double the price. That's usually enough for them. Details aren't that important..

13. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Cool! We all like collector´s editions!

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

What is the oldest material you have worked on to restore/master?

RSteven likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Edison brown wax cylinders from the late 1800s.

16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

did you have a hand in cleaning and bringing those up to par?
    how does one clean a wax cylinder?

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Veeeeery carefully.

uzn007 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Mold is the worst problem. You can still capture the audio on a moldy disk though.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:righton: Many thanks for the the thread, Steve Hoffman.
    It has been killer-yet-diller.

GZ

RSteven likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

diller.jpg

warren, dav-here, Lownote30 and 8 others like this.
  21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The 1975 album "Suite For Flute and Jazz Piano" by the French jazz pianist Claude Bolling was a million seller worldwide. In the U.S., the album was also nominated in 1975 for a Grammy Award for Best Chamber Music Performance. It's the best jazz classical crossover album ever released IMO.

john lennonist and Plan9 like this.
  22. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

23. ActorCam

ActorCam Forum Resident

Loving this thread! Thanks so much, Mr. Hoffman.

dav-here and George P like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Best crossover that really meshes the forms with the playing for my money, goes to the late Patrick "Threshold" Williams, composer of An American Concerto, sadly un-released to this date on CD. Phil Woods and a jazz quartet absolutely infused with the London Symphony Orchestra, conveniently auditionable on the UewTube, insanely affordable on Discogs (starting under 3 bucks!); a spiritual tour of the form since its' first awakingings in the new world, emeshed in the orchestra.

But I digress - carry on!

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

dav-here, DigMyGroove and chacha like this.