I'm bored! What to do? (How do you fulfill your upgrade desire once you're happy with your gear?)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a die hard gearhead, I love playing with new audio gear. it's been my favorite hobby for decades, Yes I love the music, but I get as much joy from playing with the gear as well. Problem is, I've really reached a point where I love both my setups.

How do you fill the desire for new gadgetry once you've got your systems exactly where you want them sonically. At this point it would be change for the sake of change. I'm trying to convince myself that I really want to replace my Ref75SE and LS27 with an integrated, but I know that it would likely be a step backwards.

How do you fulfill your upgrade desire once you're really happy with your gear? I know I'm not the only one.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just installed some Symposium platforms and roller blocks in my system. I not finished. It is a big project. The results are very satisfactory.

JMCIII, mreeter, HankM and 2 others like this.
  3. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

you could make sure your icons on all forums include the proper purple, gold, and green colors

you could bake a king cake

you could replay Williams huge rookie mistake over & over (or wait for ash wed. to do that)

you could research the top SQ integrateds and see how they might stack up

you could buy a Ref pre-amp and extensive listening tests vs the LS27

you could set up a group 3D printing or CNC machining of rollerblocks to bring the price way below the Ingress ones (maybe include a surface plating to get ultra-smooth rolling)

I got a lot mo' too!

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Never stop upgrading. It's not like it's impossible to upgrade whatever current sound you have.

saturdayboy and BayouTiger like this.
  5. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I'll go for the king cake.

bluesaddict, Gumboo and BayouTiger like this.
  6. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Well... The issue is clear. You need to get over the crazy idea that you really have your current systems exactly right. :laugh:

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Here's something.

Buy some DeOXit cleaner and q-tips.

Then clean EVERY connector in your system: interconnects, speakers, and power.

That'll make you appreciate just sitting and listening. :D

(It cured me! Well, for a couple of weeks:p)

8. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

9. BayouTiger

Well. I did go blow through several hundred rounds at the range this morning!

All good ideas though! I may resign myself to ripping everything out of the rack and rearranging. I really need to be out working on the car. Gotta race next month and the car is in pieces!

Also thinking I need to rearrange the turntables. My best table should be in the den. That involves swapping the carts around so that's a worthwhile project.

SandAndGlass and mike catucci like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Build a third system.

Seriously, I like to collect gear and keep a rack of stuff I can sub in an as the mood strikes. I keep an eye out for good deals and general don’t spend more than $500. Keeps things interesting.

Robert C, clhboa, SirMarc and 2 others like this.
  11. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Headphones....that will open up another can of worms altogether!!!

What did you shoot this morning? I took a few hours off from trying to decide what turntable I want to take the M1 Carbine out for 200 rounds.

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  12. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

There are only 2 ways that I know of, and I have been practicing these solutions for many years now.

1) Leave the system you like in-tact, and start a new system, using TOTALLY different speakers to start with. Work backwards (amp, pramp, source, cables, etc) and create a new system that sound VERY different from the one you have completed, but aim high to actually sound better.

I have completed 10 of my own systems, so far, and every one of them got to the point where I didn't feel any need to upgrade, so I just started again and again with new systems.

2) Become an audio dealer, part-time, and help people put together their systems. I am responsible for MANY people who are happy with their systems now. I hope they consult with me when they feel a need to further upgrade.

SandAndGlass, tyinkc, marka and 2 others like this.
  13. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

There are plenty of audiophile purchases you can make that will not change your currently fine sound in any way. :hide:

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I'm Bored, I'm the Chairman of the Bored

Listen to Iggy and Lust for Life. If your system can make that sound audiophile you have arrived - so your only path to continuing Nirvana is to find new music.

Galactus2 and BayouTiger like this.
  15. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

You could look at room treatment. Lots of fun and expenditure to be had there.

displayname, Madness, G E and 3 others like this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

17. BayouTiger

I actually have an entire system in a rack in the living room not connected including a pair of ADS speakers that don't seem to work in the den. I asked the wife if I could pull the fru-fru furniture from. the living room and make a listening room. She said yes but everything must be pretty and squared away. I then retreated back to my office which is truly mine to do as I please with.

18. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

That's what I do. I'm up to 3 systems with only one really "fixed" - the others are fluid. I've been building my home office system for 2 years with vintage gear. I hunt down good deals and then pull the trigger on them. I'll do clean-ups / minor repairs etc. and when I find a better piece at a good price I buy it and sell the piece I'm replacing.

Most times I can make a few bucks on the sale to help pay for most or all of the upgraded gear. In 8-9 months I'll be moving to a new home office and have already started picking up gear for it :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s a good way to do it and a good way to get into tube equipment.

Warren Jarrett and GroovyGuy like this.
  20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Thanks .... that's where I'm headed ;)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Just run tube equipment, and start rolling tubes.

G E and Scott222C like this.
  22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

How about experimenting with tweaks like grounding blocks, room treatments, etc.

23. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

Move stuff around the listening room. Try different furniture placement. Pick a different material for throw pillows and hone your sewing skills.

How's your storage? Need to add some more shelving/space?

Buy a(nother) musical instrument.

Start bothering friends to let you put together a better a system.

Invent something.

24. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Yes, Invent a cure for boredom

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just did this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.