I'm coming to America and.......

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mc7t, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident Thread Starter

As the title states, in just under 3 weeks, I'm off on a holiday of a lifetime.

We'll be visiting New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville, doing Gracelands, Sun Studios etc, but I'm hoping to find a couple of hours in each area to find some record stores, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :righton:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Memphis is in Tennessee. Do you mean New Orleans, Memphis, & Nashville?

mc7t likes this.
  3. mc7t

Oooops, my mistake..You are indeed correct.. That's me posting whilst still half asleep... Corrected now.

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've no store recommendations but you'll have a great time, we went to Muscle Shoals, Memphis and Nashville a couple of years back and took in all the sites, best holiday ever!

I'm ready to go back.

Fullbug and mc7t like this.
  5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

It's been years since I visited Memphis and Nashville. Memphis had several stores years ago ;however, I don't know if they still do. I live in TN and where I live we used to have a lot of them. Not anymore I'm afraid. Even FYE left. I would love to know if there are any good ones in Nashville. It would be worth the 2 hour drive just to see a good record store again.

mc7t likes this.
  6. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

In Nashville, attend a concert if possible at the Ryman Auditorium. There is tremendous history in that venue, and the acoustics remain superlative. A block south of the Ryman Auditorium is Broadway. There, the Ernest Tubb Record Shop. Even if you don't care for country music, there is history in that small room. That is where Loretta Lynn performed her first public concert (the stage is about ten feet wide). Nearby is the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Recommended. And don't forget Music Row. You can tour RCA Studio B where Elvis Presley recorded after Sun Studio in Memphis. That tour is possible only through the Country Music Hall of Fame. Near RCA Studio B is the Columbia Studios that incorporated Owen Bradley's Quonset Hut. That's where Gene Vincent recorded "Be Bop A-Lula," and Buddy Holly did his first recordings there, plus Johnny Cash and numerous others recorded there. Unfortunately, the Columbia Studios building isn't open to the public. There are fine threads here at the forums about RCA Studio B and the Quonset Hut. Down the street, too, is the location where Monument Records had a studio. Roy Orbison, and later Neil Young recorded there.

You most assuredly will enjoy your holiday. I have been all over your country, having attended three concerts in London. History at every step.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Galactus2, Bill Hart and mc7t like this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

wow....tourist traps.....it won't be anything like you might have in your head...those days are gone..having said that..you'll have a great time..people are really great.....ask around....there's bound to be some record stores......just breathing the same area air where it came from 100 years or so ago..is very cool.........maybe drive up highway 51.....or highway 61...........

mc7t likes this.
  8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I was in New Orleans recently on vacation and had the chance to hit Frenchman's street. There's tons of live music of good quality there. I caught a good jazz band, a great funk band and heard a little of a good rock band. Food is also wonderful in New Orleans.

Laibach and mc7t like this.
  9. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I recommend McKay's in Nashville; great selection of music and bargains galore.

mc7t likes this.
  10. mc7t

Thank you to everyone for the above replies, I'll certainly do my best to do the most possible whilst I'm there.

I can't wait

11. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

I second this, BIG place, I always walk out with a pile of stuff when I visit.

highway chile and mc7t like this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I can't add much re the record stores given some of the posts above, but please take advantage of some of the wonderful food in New Orleans. It is an enchanting place. A little edgy (sorry natives), but I also found Memphis to be a bit edgy once you got off the main tourist trail. Graceland is a total hoot. The Sun Studio tour is great and doesn't take a huge amount of time.

13. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

Dunno what kind of stuff you like but if it's Rock N' Roll, I can recommend Goner and Shagri La. I found some good stuff at both when I was there. Memphis was fun. Can't remember the name of the place, but we found a place near Goner that had a nice patio and good, cheap food. Sat on the patio, drank beers and talked to locals for quite awhile. Definitely off the tourist path, but it was nice to eat and drink at normal prices (we stayed near Beale St., so you pay more around there). You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

14. Stan Strickland

Stan Strickland New Member

Despite now being in my seventies I will be making my first ever visit to the States next April staying in Nashville for 7 nights. Number one on my list to visit is RCA Studio B.

Born in Liverpool I grew up with The Beatles and must have seen them 200 plus times before they became famous but my record collection of the early sixties consisted mainly of American records. I have been researching just how many of them were recorded in Studio B and it is a hell of a lot. All my Everly Brothers' records, Hank Locklin, Jim Reeves, Elvis of course, Don Gibson, Floyd Cramer's Last Date, which was our wedding record, to name just a few.

When I visit Studio B I will be in awe of standing in the spot where my favourite record of all time was recorded. In 1960 I bought a record that blew my mind. The sound was fantastic, far superior to anything that was being recorded in the UK at that time. I played that record time after time on the day I bought it. It went straight to number 1 over here. Sound engineer Bill Porter has spoken in detail of how it was recorded. He is a legend as is the singer. The record was Roy Orbison's Only The Lonely.

Maccaroni likes this.
  15. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I am in Memphis...I would also recommend Goner Records and Shangri-La Records. I think you'll find them worth a visit.

16. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I second some of these recommendations. The Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville is a great place, really interesting, even if you thought you were not a big country fan. It is a model of how to do a music museum. Broadway is nearby. In addition to Ernest Tubb's record shop, Broadway has a lot of small clubs with excellent live music. You can just walk down the street at night and pop in to one music club after another, on Broadway.

In New Orleans, the French Quarter is the tourist experience, and there is some great food there. Frenchman Street is a little ways away and is cleaner and nicer, and feels safer. It is also a street with one music club after another. You walk down Frenchman Street and just pop in and out of a lot of clubs with excellent live music. The Louisiana Music Factory record/CD store is right there too, which is very much worth checking out.

17. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

In Memphis, Shangri-La records on Madison; it's across from Huey's. Jim Russell records on Magazine in New Orleans.

If you want to get out of the tourist stuff, I suggest Wild Bill's on Vollintine in Memphis and Saturn Bar in the 9th Ward, New Orleans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.