I'm Curious About McIntosh Prices...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dat56, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

...but a dealer is 100 miles away and like I said, I'm just curious. I'm not in the market to get anything. I've looked online and Mac doesn't post prices on their website and apparently doesn't allow their dealers to, from what I can tell.

The thing is, I think I could develop a serious desire for a MAC6700 receiver and a MCD301 SACD/CD player. These are entry level in the Mac world, I suppose, but they'd be exit level for me. So, uh...does anybody have a ballpark idea of what those two items might cost? I'm gonna guess about $4000 for the receiver and maybe $2500 for the disc player. Is that even close to right? I guess I'm just wanting to know if I should even allow myself to daydream about this stuff or if I need to forget about it. It's not like I need it at all. I like what I have real well, but this Mac gear has just kind of tripped my trigger. I should never have gone to their website! I'm...so...weak! :cry:

Agitater likes this.
  2. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

dat56,

Mac Prices can be found on some of the audio forums or call your dealer.

I believe the 6700 retail price is $7K and the 301 is $5K.

The "entry level" Mac integrated amp is the 5200 and retail is $5.2K

Some Mac dealers will discount, however do not expect much.
    I purchased my MA6600 last year and could not be happier with it.

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4. dat56

Wow, that's even higher than I expected. It may be worth it, but OUCH! My lowly NAD/Adcom/Denon/Technics rig is looking a bit better, now. Oh well, I'll keep dreamin'. Thanks, guys!!

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Give these guys a try: http://www.audioclassics.com/

I've not dealt with them but I've heard nothing but good things from the McIntosh crowd. They sell used McIntosh items but they also service McIntosh gear, they're service department has two former McIntosh employees. They do list some prices but not for every item.

Eddie

Bingo Bongo, fortherecord and Vidiot like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

New McIntosh is like buying Rolls-Royce. If you must ask.....

But, who is to say you can't enjoy McIntosh for less. Buy a refurbished used McIntosh receiver or integrated (you can buy one for no more money than buying NAD, and still supported by McIntosh). The MAC 4100 can be had for $1100 near mint or as little as $800-$900 nice condition. Audio Classics or www.mcintoshaudio.com will give you options for nice McIntosh you might be able to afford.

7. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

McIntosh gear is pricey, but the good news is that it lasts a very long time. So used gear can bring the same joy as new stuff, and sometimes it shows up for less money that you might think.

It may help just to get just one piece for your rig where it can lend its sound to the rest. An amp or preamp alone might bring the sound you seek with less financial trauma than replacing everything.

You may also find that you get enough pleasure from it that it becomes worth the extra money to you.

That's what I found anyway...

Vidiot likes this.
  8. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I have dealt with them several times. They are top notch and provide excellent customer service. :righton:

beowulf likes this.
  9. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Earlier this year I picked up a MA 6100 integrated amp for $650. Absolutely love the classic McIntosh sound....and it's the very first receiver/integrated amp that I've kept the tone controls completely flat. Even put my EQ into storage. Wonder if there's been any discussions about that topic on these boards? ;)

Bill Why Man likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Same thing happened to me when I got my first used McIntosh, ego1jr, the MA 6100 was my first McIntosh.

ego1jr likes this.
  11. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

It used to be that dealers were prohibited from discounting on new Mc gear, but they would sell "demo" at a little less or used at a lot less.

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I just purchased a "demo" McIntosh 3D Blu-Ray player at a savings of about $1700 from the list price. It was "demo" but was in a factory sealed box with a full factory warranty. I watched them unpack it to "demo" it for me. The dealers CAN play tricks if they're convinced to do so.

13. dat56

I'll definitely check Audioclassics. That might be my best bet if I ever decide to go for it. But holy moly, that MAC6700/MCD301 combo would be nice! I wonder if we could get by with only one vehicle at our house? Hmmm.... NO, NO, NO!! must walk away...think of the wife...the kids...retirement! :sweating:

motorcitydave likes this.
  14. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

I've bought two Mc amps from Audioclassics, both had a B1 rating, and both looked brand new when they arrived. Couldn't be any happier with those purchases. Well... happy until I had to lift those amps into place onto my racks. But after that, it was all good again.

15. dat56

I hear ya. I thought my Adcom 5500 amp was a bruiser, but the MAC6700 would dwarf it. At least you can see what you're paying for!

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In your situation, don't buy the CD/SACD player. The biggest Mac impact for the buck will be felt with an integrated amp. As others have mentioned, used is an option, especially for solid state amps - the tube amps seem to hold their value a bit better which is good for owners but bad for someone buying their first Mac.

The Pinhead and Slick Willie like this.
  17. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I recently got my first Mac piece, a 6200 integrated for $700 and I'm shocked how much I love it.

The only problem is that it has me wanting to upgrade my other pieces.

McLover and JorgeGvb like this.
  18. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

McIntosh gear does make a fellow wonder how much more delightful the music system would be with even more McIntosh toys.

Audio Aficionado has members with DOZENS of McIntosh pieces. There doesn't seem to be an end to the urge until the money runs out.

beowulf, SamS and dat56 like this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Don't forget to buy your McIntosh clock for your matching amplifiers and Sarouk Fereghan rug :)

mcintosh-clock-amp.jpg

20. dat56

Now that's just sick. :)

21. dat56

And that is exactly how I'd be. If I get the receiver, I'll have to have the CD player. And so it goes.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I've heard of dealers who don't discount, but they'll pay the tax which can be a decent savings depending on where you live.

23. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good luck to you. :)

24. ejr1953

ejr1953 New Member

I purchased a MCD500 SACD player in October and the sound is just plain outstanding! The new MCD550 has the same DAC circuitry, but this new model has the new "high drive" headphone amp, has a USB input to its internal DAC circuitry and when you use it as a DAC, it supports higher resolution. Playing CDs or SACDs, it should be the same. I snagged mine off the Audiogon website.

25. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Does anyone own or has heard the MAC6700? Expensive piece but has me interested as I like receivers and SS in general. It's a buy for life thing at this point. Pricey but worth the money?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.