I'm Curious About McIntosh Prices...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dat56, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

That's the way to do business. I guess I would expect no less on Mc gear.

McLover likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaa, they have pretty tight dealer contracts. Dealers are technically free to set any price they want, but McIntosh is also free to cut dealers who don't toe the line on their rules. I know of many, many pro audio manufacturers who are adamant at no discounts on their gear, even from the big box internet mail order companies.

Or you can do what Apple does: sell the gear at very high wholesale prices, so you're basically only making 10% profit. And Apple will totally cut you off if you cut the price too much. That's business.

I think McIntosh is kind of in the Ferrari / Maserati / Rolls kind of price range, where you basically don't haggle and don't argue with the dealer about the prices. I know some who will basically say, "hey, I can't cut the price on this $10,000 amp, but what I can do is throw in $500' worth of cables and accessories for free, and we'll cover the sales tax." Put that way, they've obeyed the letter of their contract and still made a decent profit.

Blair G. and McLover like this.
  3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Would you expect to negotiate a discount on an Audio Research Ref 5 SE listed for $12,995, for example?

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Like you said dealers can charge anything they like for a product. If you have the means to pay full price given you just rolled up in a Ferrari more power to the dealer. It may not be toated anywhere but for a fact it does happen.

My last two purchases were a vpi table and cart which was 26% reduced and a marantz piece reduced by 20%.

We all know there is a huge markup on higher end audio equipment. Bottom line is unless your buying equipment for studio use its all just toys.

For all the years ive been purchasing equipment ive always received pretty sizable discounts. When your local dealer refuses pick up the phone and call someone else. The world wide web is your friend and through some digit pounding on your phone can save a boatload.

Probably shopping on Rodeo drive throws off the discount a considerable bit :)

For an amp who cares where it came from so long as you get your warranty on the piece. They all get mailed to the best and worst of dealers. How much gear really requires a specialized custom setup by a dealer. 99.9% of sales are here's a box and thank you for your money as you walk out the door to set it up on your own. Turntables require more expertise but that was something I did and learned on my own.

motorcitydave likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet the dealer would throw in free cables and a spare set of tubes if I held out $13,000 in cash.

motorcitydave and Upinsmoke like this.
  6. ejr1953

ejr1953 New Member

In the late 70's-early 80's I worked at some high end audio dealers in the DC area and we did not discount McIntosh equipment then. I'm not sure about any contractual agreements, but the profit margin for the dealer for McIntosh equipment was quite low, compared with all the other brands.

About a year ago I took the plunge and upgraded from the NAD Masters Series components, to a "nearly new" MAC6700 receiver and a "used" MCD500 (in a factory sealed carton), lucked out with the latter, a well-off audiophile purchased the unit new, had it shipped to his summer place, but never opened the carton, saying he decided to upgrade some other components in his system instead.

Before making those purchases I made the mistake of telling my wife that I felt the McIntosh stuff would sound "different" but not "better", but that was not the case. The McIntosh equipment just sounds fuller and doesn't seem to have "it's own sound". The DAC in the MCD500 extracted so much more from my CDs than the NAD equipment (which was excellent for the price paid) and in the words of one of my audiophile buddies, sounded smooth like it had tubes.

I am thoroughly pleased with my McIntosh purchases and would recommend the equipment to anyone interested in the brand.

If you go fully digital, I feel you can't beat the new MB100 media bridge, the D100 digital pre-amp and power amps of your choice.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And I will recommend McIntosh to anyone who values superb sound, impeccable handmade craftsmanship capable of outlasting generations, and for those who want the finest practical gear available. Buy McIntosh once, and never worry about your gear and enjoy thy music. I use a MA 5100 Integrated Amplifier every day in my main system. I am it's third owner, it was built in 1967. And has had only one major servicing since new. It was in daily service all these years. And still is and with pride. And mind you, this is one of the least McIntosh amplifiers ever made. I rest my case! I am totally satisfied with my modest McIntosh unit. As you will be with yours. Terry DeWick's refurbishing needs nothing but the highest of praise, he gives you the finest service possible.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I just darted out of Target the other day (buying towel racks -- a very mundane Monday afternoon), and happened to see a Best Buy next door. Walked through the store gawking at bad 4K TV sets and stuff like that, and was surprised to see Magnolia Hi-Fi inside the Best Buy demoing a fairly big set of Martin-Login loudspeakers, a McIntosh tube amplifier, and a McIntosh preamp. Very nice-sounding system, but you wouldn't know it from the loud din of the warehouse-sized building. Nice to see Mac gear in a mass-market setting, at least exposing the unwashed masses to good equipment.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Was it the new LED ridden 275?

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not sure, but it was brand-new.

11. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

You don't like the LEDs? Would you mind explaining why? I'm getting itchy to get a 275 and am collecting info.

12. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I think it's contrary to the idea of a vintage tube piece of equipment and I don't like the look. I must add that I prefer the originals over the reissues as they are a simpler, better, more elegant design and have stood the test of time for durability. I think Mc took shortcuts on the reissues, they say the new one performs better. Maybe it's just coincidence that the new one avoids the considerable expense of real Hypersil C cores and having the right quad formvar magnet wire made.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Yeah but when these companies, who clearly have no REAL business in a place like "Best Buy", start selling lower end items there, then it makes uneducated people "think" and "talk" goofy. Case in point, my cousin just bought a big new house, which he is wiring top to bottom in sound from the folks at "Magnolia" and he is at my house the other day and says to his wife when he sees my B&W 805D's, that "these are just a little better than the ones that I'm getting from Magnolia", which made me want to cringe! But, I let the poor soul, who also just bought a brand new "4K" TV and an Audi, that goes from 0 to 60, in a whopping "head-throwing back" three seconds and who is stupidly paying more than $600 dollars a month paying for it, to enjoy their recent "moment of financial bliss".

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they gots de money, let 'em enjoy it.

utahusker likes this.
  15. Chris C

Hey, who am I to kill their fun and I'm happy that they are currently able to do it, but I warned him that it won't always be like this and that he better watch his finances and keep a little for a rainy day!

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

McIntosh gear is amazing. Iconic even. In the UK there are a handful of dealers carrying their kit, and some such as Jordan Acoustics hold used gear.

I almost went for the MA6300 integrated over the summer. Used however it still comes in at around £2500. As it was, when I popped in to the showroom, another customer had it on loan and as the shop is some distance from home I've not been back.

The gear is lovely however and probably one of the very few high end marques I'd be interested in owning.

beowulf likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Would it feel weird if your cousin told you were nuts for spending $3K on some "bookshelf speakers" instead of saving for a rainy day?

Also, even the cheapest, bare bones entry-level 2014 model Audi you can buy is $600/month. To get one that goes 0-60 in 3-4 seconds, you're talking $2000+/month for the R8 model :)

18. Chris C

I STILL think that I was nuts to pay more than $3K for bookshelf speakers and not because I don't like them, but rather, because it is just a LOT of money in this household!

My cousin's new Audi is a A6 Sport (Manual shift) and he took my wife and I on a "around the block" spin, which included 3 stop/starts which each seemed like 3 to 4 seconds to 60 and a couple of near whiplashes!

19. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Hardly...the A3 starts (just) under $30k.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Base model A3 priced out with zero options comes to $510.82/month. That doesn't include taxes, dealer fees, etc. And you will have a very hard time finding a strict base A3 on any dealer lot. So, it's $600/month for an entry level Audi.

21. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

If you finance for 36 months, maybe. No one does that these days. I own a VW product that cost not a whole lot less than that A3 I'm paying well under $400/month.

22. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

I have always wondered what kind of stereo someone like Paul McCartney has in his home. I would expect it to be a complete top of the line McIntosh system. Unless there is something out there that is better?
    And do you pretty much have to go to a dealer to buy or can you buy out of a place like Crutchfield and have it delivered? Ill admit that I have spent zero time researching this...

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I won't turn this thread into a math exercise, but my original point is still valid. The very cheapest model 2015 Audi you can buy + taxes, even with some discounting is still $31,000 out the door. 60 month loan at a reasonable 3.9% and no money down still works out to be $570/month.
    [​IMG]

Try it yourself: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

24. Chris C

Sam, of all people to go off topic, it's rarely you! Sorry that I brought the Audi up!

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

LOL. Apologies. I do a lot of math at my day job, so it's a bit of a sore spot with me if I get called out on it :)

Chris C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.