I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I actually did not know about the IBM connection. I have associated laptops with Dell for so many years and not with IBM or Lenova. I still associate IBM with huge mainframes from decades and decades ago...but maybe I'm incorrect about the history. And what their main area of expertise was and what segment of the market they dominated for so long. But then with the advent of personal computers, it seemed as though their business model faltered some.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Shame you have missed out! Thinkpads have set the bar for PC laptops for many, many years. It is truly frustrating that unless you live in a huge market there is likely no place to put your hands on one locally. The Thinkpad T series was my favorite business laptop when I bought my first T20 in 2000 and my T40 from 2003 lasted over a decade and was still worked fine when I gave it away. Of course, the flip side is that most Thinkpads are on the pricier side of the market, but offer great features and crazy durability.

I actually got my first HP laptop in 1986, the Portable Plus 100, Dell got in the game a few years later. Of course the Portable Plus basically dialed in to our Mainframe to upload/download service reports.[​IMG]

nick99nack, DRM and PhilBiker like this.
  3. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Yes obviously, but that is a function of the VM software not the hardware platform.

You misunderstood. There are a gazillion operating systems you can install on an x86 PC natively.
    Category:x86 operating systems - Wikipedia

4. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

A little bit.

IBM in 1981 came up with the family of x86 PCs that is still around today. It was originally the "IBM PC", later it was cloned by other companies and those machines used to called "IBM compatible PCs". That name has since fallen out of use, but all Intel/AMD based PCs are basically still that, and they're all backwards compatible to the original IBM PC. That includes all x86 laptops.

As opposed to the Macintosh family, there isn't one company behind that platform, but there are a myriad of different manufacturers all over the world all adhering to a basic set of standards to remain compatible. IBM are not among them any more though. They have retreated from the platform created some time in the 1990s, and in the mid-2000s also from the laptop series.

PhilBiker and DRM like this.
  5. BayouTiger

I understand that, I just prefer to use Virtualization as I can have them all at once! :)

Jack Flannery likes this.
  6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I think we've come full circle. Laptops have had onboard audio for many years, and that used to be fully featured with a set of 3,5mm sockets for line in/line out/mic, often S/PDIF as well. Not any more. While the on board sound devices are still there, manufacturers tend to not feature the fullset of sockets any more, just the line out if you're lucky. The one I'm using right now (one of the cheapest Lenovos I could find admittedly) even shorts it to mono, although it must be wired for stereo on the board. Luckily there's also bluetooth on board to circumvent.

PhilBiker and SinnerSaint like this.
  7. Threadnapping:

Looking for used PC burner laptop for CD & DVD!
    [seen on other SHMF threads Dell does well!!]
    Watching vids & listening to music on the road secondary use.

Thanks for the help!
    Any suggestions on burning also appreciated; including best CD-R/DVD-R disc choices too!!

Edit:
    after reading the previous page; will have to add... NO FAN!
    [no fan of fans]
    :p

:angel:

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. BayouTiger

A lot of them have a single jack that can be set up as in or out in software. A feature of the Connexant Audio that most laptops use these days.

PhilBiker and SinnerSaint like this.
  9. BayouTiger

The best laptops no longer have optical drives. Just get a USB DVD drive for $25. Why drag around a drive all the time for the few occasions you need one. Better still, just rip it to the HD!

SinnerSaint likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think your only options for fanless designs are 2015 (or newer) MacBook, or Microsoft Surface Pro i5-7300U. There might be other Surface Pros without fans, but I don't know all the options. Prices are similar between the MacBook/Surface Pro, but with the Surface Pro, I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy a keyboard ($160).

Yeah, just buy an external DVD-ROM drive for burning. There's no such thing as a fanless laptop with built-in DVD drive.

PhilBiker, DRM and SinnerSaint like this.
  11. BayouTiger

Most i5 and below will have a fan but doing music and movies aren’t likely to run them up.

DRM and SinnerSaint like this.
  12. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

This thread is starting to compete with a "digital vs vinyl" one!

PhilBiker and Grant like this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Let's not forget desktops. desktops can still do a lot of things much easier than on a laptop. You can switch out parts, and you can build your own if so inclined. You can very cheaply install a burner for your CD-R and DVD-R needs, and a little more will get you BD capability.

You can make a desktop as quiet as you want it. You can install a fanless power supply, a water cooler for your CPU, and most case fans are pretty silent these days, anyway. You can add cards, have multiple USBs of any type, install any kind of graphics you so desire, and have a much wider choice of CPU and motherboard. You can switch out/upgrade parts for years and years, and even upgrade the case itself. You can have a small form factor, or you can make it huge. On a laptop, something goes wrong, the whole thing has to be fixed, and it can be expensive, or not ever worth the trouble. Screen breaks on a desktop? Buy a new one and keep on boppin'! Keyboard wears out? Get another one.

DRM likes this.
  14. timind

timind phorum rezident

Right. And the OP bought her new laptop, so it's time to shut this mother down.

Grant likes this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Goodbye.

16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Very popular posting for not being directly audio related.

DRM likes this.
  17. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I bought my Toshiba 17" beast 7 years ago. It has 3 hard drives (I took out the cd-rom drive and popped in another 2TB drive). 4.5 TB crammed with music, movies and TV series. Never had an issue with it-just replaced the original battery. So I heartily recommend Toshiba.

DRM likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Laptops are connected these days to digital music. Some use them to mix and produce entire albums. I think Todd Rundgren.

PhilBiker and BayouTiger like this.
  19. BayouTiger

As long as it is civil and folks are posting. Why would any thread be shut down? It is a discussion forum after all. Not a Q&A database.

Doug_B, PhilBiker, DRM and 1 other person like this.
  20. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Mine have no fan no dvd and like i said before no screen

21. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I’m a Mac guy but I do run windows on them. For every windows box I have ever purchased, I also bought a full windows license because my time is worth money and it takes so long to get rid of the crapware. Just reinstalling windows is a lot faster.

22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I trashed my optical drive on my laptop and replaced it with another ssd. Bye.

BayouTiger likes this.
  23. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Windows 7 was free, for download, for a year ago

24. BayouTiger

You can get them crap free from certain outlets like the MS store and B&H.

I also keep a clean copy of most Windows versions as a VM to make a do over easy.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I use the free version of Windows 10 Home for VMs. Why buy a license?

HDOM and BayouTiger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.