I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In desktops, still makes sense to build one also if you're wanting a DAW station PC. And also broadcast automation.

Grant and PhilBiker like this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

We need a mobile laptop that has the capability of a desktop. A heavier laptop on wheels.

3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The keyboard on my Thinkpad is one of the best laptop keyboards I've ever experienced. I think because it's an education focused laptop. I generally hate laptop keyboards.

McLover likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Even the 30 series and later ThinkPad keyboards (chiclet though they may be) are still among the best keyboard on the laptop market. Superb key feel, and solidly made.

nick99nack likes this.
  5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Don’t know that I would call them chiclets. Exempt though they are thin and have less travel, they are still nicely sculpted. Better than most desktop keyboards these days.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Assemble" could describe how I did my first computer in that sense. Back in 2002, I was overwhelmed about which parts to buy, so an owner of a local computer shop picked out the parts for me. All I had to do is pick out my own case, and she ordered the rest. I bought it all, took it home, and assembled it, following the guidelines in a computer magazine, and by reading the instruction manuals. But, after that first time, I didn't need the instructions, and I knew how to pick the parts I wanted. I also know not to ever buy an Intel board again!:) I have been an exclusive Gigabyte user ever since.

Gaslight likes this.
  7. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

What needs to be figured out? That you don’t try to plug your graphics card into a USB port?

Rolltide likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

What desktop capabilities do you need?

DRM likes this.
  9. BayouTiger

In the old days it was more of a challenge. No one has to manage IRQ's and other little details any more. These could make you crazy back in the day.

PhilBiker and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This is making me remember how proud of my autoexec.bat and config.sys files I was. Not the sort of pride I took in the init string of my USR Courier, but close.

11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I don't even know if I do have a need for a desktop. It was more of a theoretical post. Thinking about the idea of something more powerful than a laptop. But not immobile like a desktop that's stationed at a desk stuck at home.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What is the application/use-case where a mid to high-end laptop would not work for you?

DRM likes this.
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Probably a laptop would be sufficient for my needs. It was more just a thought I had. Reading people praise desktops and wondering why a desktop couldn't be mobile like a laptop. Just thinking about the future and wondering if laptops will actually someday be as good as today's desktops. And still be mobile and not weigh too much.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Most $1500+ laptops are powerful enough to edit 4K video. Heck, even sub-$1000. Meaning, there are very few "desktop-class" workloads that the average consumer uses that can't be handled by an mid to high-end laptop. Unless you have specific gaming, coding, VR or VM requirements, a $1.5K laptop can handle the same thing as a $1.5K desktop.

DRM likes this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thanks. I appreciate it.

16. BayouTiger

Of course the true power is in the TB3 port which allows you to connect a box that can House about anything you can plug into a desktop. Used to be the hard drive was a very big bottleneck, but with NVMe the laptop is likely faster than the desktop.

DRM likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep. The newest laptops have read/write SSD speeds of >2,000MB/s, something impossible just a few years ago.

I'm a big fan of TB3/USB-C docks. One reversible cable for charge/LAN/USB support sure is nice.

DRM and BayouTiger like this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

When my wife can do it, then I'll call it an assembly.

No...that you get the right parts to begin with.

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Huawei MateBook X Pro holding strong against MacBook Pro!

20. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Nice try again, lets not wander off the point too far shall we, although I can see why you would want to. You accused me thus;

"Haha, it's all good because you didn't call Apple owners both ignorant AND illogical...just one of the two, not both, so it's cool."

Note the statement "just one of the two". Then you later confirm that I listed four scenarios, not just the two you plucked out for convenience. Perhaps I just touched on a nerve.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think most everyone in this thread has wandered off the point. The OP has her new Lenovo laptop. The purpose of this thread is now completed.

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.