I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Yes the “Apple Tax” is actually more myth than reality for the laptops. Equal quality PCs are nearly as expensive and the software can be more so since most don’t need much that isn’t included with MacOS. Apple just does not have an entry level machine for the $600 crowd.

That said, I now use a Thinkpad after using MacbookPros for years. I am not a big fan of the latest MacBooks, but the biggest issue has been Intel being very late on their end. Apple has been reluctant to update their hardware for minor changes. The 8th gen processors bring a quad core option that would be great for a new MBP, but Apple does not seem to want to update until intel can support more than 16gb of ram. When they do, I will likely return to the fold, but for now I love my X1Carbon better than anything in the Mac laptop line.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have the opposite experience, my girlfriend and I both bought laptops in 2012, while my Asus is still up and running the latest win10, her MacBook does not upgrade to the latest osx and is slower than mine.

Grant and PhilBiker like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How about Lenovo?

Prices could be going up due to the new tariffs but HP and Dell may be exempted since they are American companies ...

avanti1960 likes this.
  4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Any MacBook made since late 2010 can run the newest version of macOS (currently 10.13.5).

RolandG likes this.
  5. coopmv

Is it just a rumor that Apple may eventually replace MacOS with iOS?

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

I chose my laptop and it’s a Lenovo Ideapad.

7. MikaelaArsenault

And I’m getting it tomorrow.

Grant, Chris Schoen and PhilBiker like this.
  8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Best to hear it from the horse's mouth:

"Of course not"

MikaelaArsenault and PhilBiker like this.
  9. coopmv

More curiosity than anything else. I have never used any Apple products ...

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

:edthumbs:

PhilBiker and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You are missing out :)

RolandG, Scope J and BayouTiger like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

:)

13. coopmv

My six year old HP laptop running Windows 10 continues to work well and I see no reasons for replacement anytime soon. For me, the desktop is always my workhorse and as such my laptop is never heavily used. I will, however, start looking for a second desktop soon to replace my ten year old Dell desktop running Windows 7 Pro ...

PhilBiker likes this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Disagree, and I am a Mac user. Equal PC's, as far as hardware, are less expensive and sometimes the comparable laptop in price is actually slightly better specs given Apple's generally slow movement to upgrade hardware. I just went through this exercise a few months back.

Where the "tax" really comes into play is better overall support during the warranty period and better resale value. Having an Apple Store near you is about a as easy as it gets.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. coopmv

I think the tariffs may not apply to Apple products since Apple is an American company and Lenovo is probably fair game ...

Perhaps you really do not have the tariffs in mind.

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The tax comment is figurative.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

never had one but they appear to be solid machines and good values.

18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Kinda depends on what you consider comparable. For me that would be a Thinkpad of at a minimum Dell XPS. The best bargain out there is probably the HP Spectre 360. They have very good specs for the cost, but are not put together like a Mac. You can also check the high end ones like the Razors.

To me the biggest thing is what PC owners put up with , and I use Windows 10 Enterprise and windows servers all day. Little things like the Thunderbolt 3 port on my XPS never working properly. I would say the scaling issues in Win10, but that seems to be getting much better in the last two updates.

Things that Windows users think are now on a par with MacOS just aren’t close. QuickLook, Spotlight come to mind. Of course MacOS is horrible at networking by comparison, and the Win10 system when coupled to their server platform is awesome!

But then I can get all my Win10 network goodness in a VM and still get my MacFix if Apple would just come back with an appealing MBP.

I should say that I split time between my Thinkpad for work and my iMac Pro at home. Also have a 15” Touchbar MBP, so yes, I’m all n on both platforms!

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. coopmv

Same here. I am generally pretty happy with HP or Dell ...

Dave likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Price compare the hardware specs on a MacBook Air with a comparable PC laptop.

As for MacOS / Win10, I've mentioned this before but I find them to be more apples/oranges at this point (for consumers, not businesses). I can't even point to the underlying *nix tech as a difference as each rev of Windows is adding more of that as well.

21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL it's baseless speculation.
    Cool! I am pretty happy with my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga. It's super slick, my only complaint is the slow CPU in my specific mode.
    That old Dell desktop would probably run a LOT faster with Win10. My desktop is similar vintage and it is substantially faster with Win10 than it ever was with Win7. After I added an SSD for boot disk it made it even better.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

LOL in order to compare the two I'd have to get a 3 year old PC, right? Isn't the big gripe with Apple hardware that they are way behind on their upgrade cycles?

Grant likes this.
  23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep.

24. coopmv

The Dell desktop is on its last leg as I have been hearing grinding sound from the HD, not a good sign. Moreover, with only 4 GB RAM that is not upgradable, the end is near. The problem with this desktop is really the limited RAM since 4 GB is nothing nowadays ...

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

After having spent a good amount of time this week trying to get my Dell to boot up without spiking out at 100% disk for a half hour every restart I would say that. My overall experience with a number of laptops always leads me back to my desktop for a consistent performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.