“I’m going to count to three.” DIE HARD “prick up those ears”!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Logan5, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 New Member Thread Starter

Okay lets try this one again Bruce, with the Bleeps this time, and action!

By the way “prick up your ears” isn’t a rude word, it simply means, listen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I seem to remember a version being true to the cinematic theatrical release of DIE HARD (1988) if, you really pay attention to sound you’ll know what I’m talking about. This occurs on the first edition DVD and the second edition region 2 had a somewhat different placement of most of the (sound effects).

When Hans points the Beretta 92 at McClane and when pulling on the trigger the sound was originally positioned to (screen right) on the English track first edition the sound is re-positioned to (centre).

Now pull out the earlier widescreen laserdisc editions or the later THX laserdisc Dolby six-track not sure if this is the same for the dts six-channel laserdisc as I’ve only owned several copies and regret selling the THX laserdisc.

You’ll notice the differences if listening between the different, language tracks on the first edition in Spanish you’ll hear the ordinal placement. Also on the special edition you’ll here the original placement on the audio commentary tracks forget about the dts it’s the same botched up version!

Most of the (sound effects) placement on the, earlier editions sound completely different to the DVD versions and quite possible HD discs, so prick up those ears!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Hmm, yeah, it was remixed... all movies are remixed for DVD, even new movies have their mix altered to be perfected, as they are usually rushed out to theaters with no time to fine tune.
    Nothing beat the building explosion on LD so far, thought-- :)

3. Logan5

Logan5 New Member Thread Starter

No, I don’t think that’s what I’m grumbling about it’s the sheer fact the mix has been toyed around with to intimidate those who listen! I’m really sick of these mixers who often never had any real involvement with the film in the first place and would like to show off there botched mixing techniques, (offence intended) because I feel offended by there sly fingers on the mixing console, trying to fool us all, into believing this is what was heard in the cinema.

“If it aint broken why fix it” I feel strongly what the original mixers did on the film was super-cool sounding!

Sometimes they can be prised and other times not prised for botching the sound mix where the original now lies on floor! DVD re-mixers leave it alone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.