I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Back to July, 1971 today for me!

The Olympic Sound Studio analog masters are non-Dolby (thank goodness) and the level is +9 (typical for Olympic at the time). They used the natural tape saturation as their mixing compressor. A unique idea, only dared to be utilized by a few British studios. No American room would have done that because of the distortion overload. For some reason, Olympic conquered that problem and used the high level instead of Dolby A. Wacky stuff. Still, there is plenty of tape hiss due to the 16 channels of non-Dolby tracking. Not everything can hit +9 in a song, especially acoustic guitars. We'll see what happens!

(Sings: "I'd love to change the reel, but I'll have the assistant do it....")

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Later: Mastering completed.

I"m sure you'll like the new Gold CD mastering. I sure do. The master tapes are still in perfect condition, basically untouched for years and years. I "polished and cut the diamond" to give the best glow and shine (proprietary info, of course). A layer of Telefunken 12AX7 vacuum tubes reinforced the midband and the natural ambiance capture of the A/D system at Marsh helped in making this version a totally accurate representation of what they were going for in the studio back in 1971. It will be your go-to version from now on!

We hope you enjoy it.

breakingglass and TheMasterTape like this.
  2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Holy crap ........ awesome news!!! :)

It's not near the top of my *favorite* Ten Years After albums, but I do like it, & am so glad that it will be getting your special touch, Steve. This is an album that truly does need it badly, as there is no even halfway decent sounding CD of this title that I've ever heard.

3. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Nice, Steve. Great album.

The Columbia SQ mix is grand as well.

4. Outstanding news, we're getting some really great titles.

5. DTB

DTB Active Member

I'm in for this one! Cricklewood Green next?

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the best british Blues Rock albums..... thx to Audio Fidelity for this title.

7. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Awesome.I'll be buying this one.:righton:

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

so, that means they used higher signal to noise ratio levels instead of noise reduction? is that correct? i like it!

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow, I want this.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You're broadening my horizons Steve. Never really got into Ten Years After, but I'm listening to the Amazon samples of this album, and aside from the obvious I'd Love To Change The World, I like the other songs as well. I'm in. :righton: :agree:

11. street legal

If AF were to do another Ten Years After title, I'd rather they do the debut album, "Undead", or even "Stonedhenge" rather than "Cricklewood Green". Not because they are necesarrily better albums, but because the MFSL 2fer of "Shhhh/Criclewood Green" already sounds amazing. There are other Ten Years After albums that "need" an audiophile remastering more.

12. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

This is awesome news!

Love Ten Years After and can't wait for this one!

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree... MFSL did a an outstanding mastering of "Cricklewood Green", and the EMI remaster is very close.

14. street legal

Myke, this is one band that you really should explore. If I were to make a list of criminally under-rated (& relatively unknown) bands/artists from the 60's/70's, Ten Years After would be very near the top of the list. I would say to try "Shhhh" or "Cricklewood Green" for starters.

I'm more than glad that AF is doing "A Space in Time" & it is an automatic purchase for me, but this album is slightly more mainstream/accesible sounding than most of their prior albums.It's a very good album to be sure, but not one of my VERY favorite Ten Years After albums. But I like all of their albums (well, not the 1989 reunion album, so much!!!).

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks, earlier today it was Spirit. Better late than never. :thumbsup:

16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Cool. I like TYA. Their original vinyls slam pretty nicely. I would imagine the master tapes are decent to deal with.

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

A classic. Can't wait!

18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Nice! I've always been torn between liking the stereo or SQ Quad Mix though. I'm sure it will sound great which ever mix is used.

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Wonderful news, thank you for sharing Steve. Hope all goes well in the mastering. :)

20. Good pick, don't have this album on CD yet.

21. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Great News! I Love This CD!!!!!!!

22. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I agree. I have both the stereo Lp and the SQ Lp, and the SQ disc is easily better (even when played in stereo). I'll be watching for your remaster, Steve. I know it will be great!

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'm not going to master anything from an SQ Quad remix, dude-o's.

24. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Cool. It's good to be a club member. :thumbsup:

25. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

Now we're talking!

Rock and Roll Music To The World!