I'm going to master Ten Years After "A Space In Time" today for AF Gold CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

I have all of TYA's albums and was a huge fan in the day. But I must admit that I got really tired of hearing Alvin Lee playing the same riff over and over and over ad nauseum on virtually every song. He certainly is a talented guitarist, but his lack of longevity was due to his limited scope.

How much would I have to pay you to do Dave Edmunds' "Get It"?

2. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Great news. I first bought this on vinyl, which I've still got. Then I had an 8 track for the car, and then 10 years ago got it on CD. It certainly was like a second phase of Ten Years After.
    I can't wait to here it with Steve's treatment.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I totally understand where you're coming from although I am just the opposite. Their early "psychedelic blues" albums don't do much for me, but I like the later more mature rocky songwriting stuff, like this album, Cricklewood Green, and R&R Music To The World.

Watt is where I think the songwriting starts to get better then really get strong with Cricklewood Green - actually which came first? Watt or Cricklewood? I think they're both from 1970???

Although I can't even remember what their last studio album with Alvin even sounded like (Positive Vibrations). I never bought it on CD and have long parted with the vinyl so I guess I didn't like it.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Cricklewood Green released 04/17/70

Watt released 12/70

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks!

I always thought Watt came b4 Cricklewood, it sounds like a progression to me, Watt better than the previous albums with a couple good songs but Cricklewood better than Watt with much better songs (just my opinion of course).

I didn't get into TYA until I heard Recorded Live while over at a friend's house, around 1975. I was blown away, despite writing them off as a boring blues boogie act from seeing them do Goin' Home in the Woodstock movie already. I ran out and bought Recorded Live and it became one of my favorites. I think the next record I got was Cricklewood Green and I was hooked. I slowly picked up their other studio albums over the next couple years but only really dug Cricklewood and Space In Time. The early bluesy stuff doesn't do much for me...

Ironically the LAST TYA record album I bought back in the 1970's was Watt. I never saw it anywhere until one day found it at a used record store. I already had all the others that had come out. For some reason it was a hard one to track down. Things were a lot different in those days, buying record albums, no internet to scope things out etc.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I remember (11-12 in 1970), in fact, I don't remember what my guide was for getting an artist's entire catalog. Hmmm...:shrug:

7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Your first remark is totally true. That music must be, however, an inspiration for a new generation (or generations) of bands. So, yes to the Byrds or Stevie Wonder. No to Ten Years After or Bad Company.

8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Great example of personal taste here - I say "no" to the Byrds or SW - don't appreciate either of them at all. I say a big YES though to TYA and Bad Co!!

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm a big Canned Heat fan. Would you say TYA and CH are fairly similar?

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why is there no Chrysalis logo on the disk? I don't think any AF disks have the original record company logo on them. The DCC disks had the logo on them.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Does it make it sound better? :)

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

A little. Sort of like how the booklets help the sound.

14. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I am very pleased that AF is getting back to some great Classics. "A Space in Time" is a great TYA Album , I look forward to this disk in my mailbox.

15. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

wow!
    What a great album that is!
    A superb upgrade will be nice.
    Any special new demos or outtakes to add ?

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

So, unless I missed it, Steve never really mentioned how he mastered this or what it sounds like compared to the versions we are used to hearing.

17. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was certainly around, as this album was release when I was eight years old. But, the band, nor the album, was on my radar. In 1971, I was more familiar with Marvin Gaye and the Partridge Family. :hide: The only song i'm familiar with is "I'd Love To Change The World", so I will have to check this album out first before I buy it.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Me neither. I was more familiar with Bobby Sherman and the Cowsills. I'll check it out though.

Oh, wait, didn't I used to have this on a Q8?

20. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Listened to my old vinyl copy of this one tonight. Sounds good, but is a bit noisy - it's one I (and apparently others) played the heck out of in high school and college. Never had it on CD. Really looking forward to this new gold CD.

What I'd really like to know is will Steve keep the fade-up in place on "Uncle Jam"? :winkgrin:

21. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Lee played Houston with Ten Years Later. It was a great show. Was that 75? Thought it was later than that...

22. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

$18.47 on Amazon. Must be time to order.

Hope it sounds like the Columbia reel I used to have. Even though it was 3 3/4 IPS it actually sounded quite good although a bit too hissy during the quiet parts.

I have the BGO CD but it seems a bit over EQ'd.

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I have the Chrysalis CD of this one. The way Younger Than Yesterday came out I can't wait to hear this! There's so much space between the instruments this is perfect for AF treatment. One Of These Days and Over The Hill here we come.

24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I just transferred my quad vinyl copy of this to the computer, always liked the couple of little mix differences.