I'm hooked on Westerns....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, there's WAGON TRAIN, HAVE GUN....WILL TRAVEL and, of course, THE RIFLEMAN, worthwhile mainly because of great photography and Sam Peckinpah's involvement....

Got to say, though, the best Bonanzas, for this viewer, were the oldest ones, which seem to be currently out of circulation. THE BIG VALLEY I thought was pretty useless, too much soap opera, an affliction BONANZA shares with it. The above series have more nitty gritty, and, IMO, weightier actors, also.

Still, a good way to waste an afternoon, as my sister could tell you, I think she watches both of these as well, when she has the time.

:ed:

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the whole Western thing in general, but now have a problem with the cleaned-up, PG version of Western scenarios.

This is why the current HBO show Deadwood is awesome.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The profanity in DEADWOOD is hilarious in the same way it is in Schwarzenegger's TOTAL RECALL: so excessive and over the top you gotta laugh! But, at the same time, it's dishonest, since DEADWOODS may look like 1900(or whenever)but sounds 2004....still, entertaining!

:ed:

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

The language on the show is based on research which confirms that people did really talk like that. A lot of the clever swearing we think is so modern is really quite old. Either way, the language on Deadwood is leagues more historically accurate the aw-shucks Gary Cooper talk of Hollywood silver screen's "Golden Age."

5. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of Westerns as well. I saw Rio Bravo the other day and it's great! A great cast and it's funny too :agree:

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I have wonderful memories of sitting with my father and watching "Have Gun Will Travel," "Bonanza," and, his favorite "The Rifleman." I remember him saying on that cold February night in '64, as the Ed Sullivan credits rolled and that great David Rose Bonanza theme song came up "now, we get some good TV after that infernal racket."

The racket, of course, being the Beatles.

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ed,

Do not forget WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE with Steve MacQueen. Now that was a very tough and violent show...

Bob :)

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've been a "TV Western" fan since Childhood, Wyatt Earp was one of my favorites, I have an old 8X10 pic when I was 4 or 5 dressed in my Wyatt Earp outfit! I would switch with the lawman and outlaw/gunfighter as my favorites. Glenn Ford made some neat westerns...check out ,"The Fastest Gun Alive", 3:10 To Yuma, Finally, some Westerns have made it to DVD..(in decent quality) most are PD and suck! There are 8 Volumes of the Rifleman (great quality!)...of course the recent "Have Gun, Will Travel"...I'd love to see more Season Box Sets!

9. stever

stever Senior Member

I remember watching, "Gunsmoke," and, "High Chaparral," a lot as a kid. Does, "Dallas," count?

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Wild Wild West. Great TV series, awful movie.

As a kid, I'd always look forward to The Adventures of Spin and Marty on the Mickey Mouse Club. Friday was round-up day! :righton:

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

:righton:

12. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

My favorite TV western (followed closely by the early 1/2 hour B&W episodes of Gunsmoke) ... I have almost all of the Columbia House VHS ... at a fraction of the $25+ issue price ... thanks to eBay ... what is on DVD?

Never mind, I found HGWT on DVD ... I am glad they are putting the episodes out in order ...

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Anyone out there remember Cimmaron Strip on CBS? An hour-long show. My favorite western by far. Stuart Whitman as Marshall Jim Crown and Jill Townsend as Dulcey. :love:

Jim W

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Oh yeah, another cool western: "Alias Smith and Jones".

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Here's a blast from the past for ya!:)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.