Im looking at cartridges.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rodney sherman, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been lookin for a nice cartridge that is between 65 to 350 bucks.Im not looking for the all out best cartridge around. I've eyeballed the shure m94e up to the V15VxMR. Also I've looked at the grado cartridges. the grado gold at $180 looks to be a real winner. Give me an insite on some good cartidges in me price range.

2. kda

kda Senior Member

If you don't mind ordering from England, you can get the Dynavector 10X4 for 199 GBP which translates to about $350. It is a great fairly high output moving coil cartridge. Some of the Ortophones are relatively inexpensive and sound good too. But what sort of arm and phono preamp do you have? The synergies matter. I had a Grado Gold on a Pro-Ject arm on my prior table and it did not work well at all. Switched to an Ortophone and it was a big improvement, even thought the Grado probably would sound as good or better on a different arm.

3. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

Look at the Sumiko Blue Point Special around $350 and sounds more like a $1000 cartridge

4. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

You don't have to order a Dynavector from England. Red Trumpet has DV 10X4 MK2 for $350 with free UPS ground shipping + $35 free music.

5. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

The Dynavector 10x4 is probably the most touted cart at the $350 price point. If your budget is lower and/or you want something on the warmer side, the Goldring 1042 is an excellent cartridge.

Haven't heard the V15??, but I'd avoid the lesser Shures. I've heard them & not been impressed.

6. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The Clearaudio Beta is a good . I paid $300 for mine. was a slight improvement from my Benz Silver. Has nice dynamics, a good soundstage, and the timbre of the instruments are distinguishable on lower levels.Ie;slightly dfferent instruments Ie: oboe vs. an English Horn.:cool:

7. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member

I just ordered a new Audio Technica ATOC9 ML from audioadvisor.com for $200,--. This cartridge costs in europe a lot more than the sumiko's and at other places in the us about $400,0. in my opinion this is as good as it gets for this amount of money.

If you go to the vinyl section of the audioasylum and you do a search on this cartridge you will find a lot of posts and reviews. Some people baught it just as a spare while their 10 times as expensive lyra or koetso was being retipped and claimed that on several points it was even better.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm content with my Stanton cartridge I bought at my work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.