I'm so done with felt mats, because of the lint.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David A., Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Am I the only one that uses HRS iso platforms?

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Never use felt mats. I have used cork mats and also Herbies......really liked the Herbies. I have been running naked for a year now and really like it that way :cool:

My acrylic platter sounds more lively and seems to be a better slam to the sound, more open for sure.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  3. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I will second this. Have one on my Rega P6 and the sound is much more alive compared to the felt mat that came with and best of all no lint or anything else.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nope.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  5. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I've been using a DIY soft felt mat on top of the stock 5mm rubber mat (modified 1200MK2) with a record weight for years. I only have a problem with static and dust/lint if I haven't previously SpinClean'd the record. I'll probably invest in a Zerostat, for good measure. Without the felt mat in between the record and rubber mat, I have found there is less clarity/definition, obviously most noticeable in the HF range; but, also a tubby-like, damped (rubbery) sound overall. I've tried going back to the rubber alone and I just can't do it; the openness of the sound with the felt mat drawing me back every time. I also listen with headphones, frequently (planar) at night in a purposefully super quiet room. If I had to give up the felt, I would have to have an Achromat or a SorboGel.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

SorboGel, is that stuff still around ???

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

...depends on whose listening room you're in...

8. MaxxMaxx4

Hope not,it caused as many issues as it helped

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. David A.

David A. Forum Resident Thread Starter

leather mat arrives tomorrow. we'll so how that works out (sound wise). and I hope it doesn't protrude over the LP12 platter lip

10. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat - currently have an acrylic platter so I don't use a mat, but back when I had a table with a felt mat the static drove me crazy! I was really afraid that it would get caught in the stylus or something because it was impossible to lift a record without the mat attaching itself and coming halfway off every single freaking time you lifted a record.

I dumped that piece of crap for something from Herbies and was much happier.

11. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

I bought a new Clearaudio turntable last week.
    The dealer said Do not use a mat. So I have not. Sounds fine.
    Used a cork one on my Project. Also sounded good.

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, well more anomalies than it helped, IMO.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Leather??? Er, what ???
    Is this the sixties, have we learned nothing ???

JohnCarter17 and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  14. David A.

I'm not following you. what do you mean?

BrentB and H8SLKC like this.
  15. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Leather has become a very popular material for platter mats. I own one and like it but it has the same static/cling problem that other mats bring in the winter here. In the winter I prefer an acrylic platter mat, or a naked acrylic platter itself, which kills all issues with static and cling. In the summer it's felt all the way.

16. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I clean my Herbie Mat with a lint roller.

17. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

To combat the static and felt problem has anyone tried an anti static spray on their mat?
    Maybe just on the platter side since I don’t know it would react with vinyl. Just a thought. I may do some experimenting this winter when it becomes an issue.

18. MaxxMaxx4

Thats what I was thinking.

Tim 2 likes this.
  19. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I'd honestly never heard of a leather turntable mat so I looked it up. A description follows: "Precision crafted in NYC's garment district by Hudson Hi-Fi: this Swiss leather turntable mat is designed to enhance the sound of your turntable."

I'm thinking, if it's made from garment leather, it's gonna have all kinds of oils impregnated into it. Another thing is, I've no idea how one would "design" leather to enhance the sound of your turntable...

Kyhl, Tim 2, Madness and 1 other person like this.
  20. MaxxMaxx4

And i'd say it changed the sound not "enhance the sound".
    Haven't used leather for years and have no plans on trying it again no matter what they say about it.
    One mans gold is anothers rubbish,thats audio.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Yes, and I have heard of people putting a dryer sheet under the mat as well.

H8SLKC likes this.
  22. David A.

I installed the leather mat. It is working great! Sound characteristics are fine and no longer do I have a ton of felt and dust getting on my CLEAN records. Problem solved.

Shiver and H8SLKC like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

My thoughts exactly Tommy. We've learned something after nearly 50 years of playing around with this stuff.

MaxxMaxx4 and Kyhl like this.
  24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I use mild soap and water. It's amazing how fast it gets dirty. I think a lot of that is hidden in lighter colored mats. I never noticed it before getting the Herbie Mat. After the Herbie, I wondered how much crap was in my previous felt mat.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  25. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

you need to try the new Linn matt, changed a few years ago. I've tried others and it can't be beaten. A 33 year old felt matt is too old btw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.