I'm so done with felt mats, because of the lint.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David A., Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

2. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

+1 to acrylic platter; they look great, don't require an additional mat, and substantially reduce static, in my experience

wgriel, H8SLKC and dkmonroe like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's my solution as well. I first ditched the felt mat for a rubber one from a different turntable but it was too thick. Then I spent considerable time shopping for mats and couldn't really make up my mind - cork mats seemed rather pricey and leather mats seemed like the kind of thing that looks cool but probably wouldn't necessarily perform all that well. Acrylic mats looked cool, but I finally decided that I'd have to get rid of the ringy ol' Pro-Ject cast iron platter if I was going to see any improvement, so I got an acrylic platter. I'm very satisfied.

H8SLKC and Sane Man like this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Acrylic is much better on the Pro-Ject than the stamped steel platter. Felt is excellent on much nicer platters though. The heavy spun aluminum platters from AR and Linn, also Thorens, that had good tolerances and fit well, used felt to good ends. It decouples without damaging the Lp.
    -Bill

H8SLKC and dkmonroe like this.
  5. dkmonroe

That makes sense. The steel platter just seems to be a uniquely poor option. It's kinda weird that they even use them.

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's just a cost thing. Steel is a great material choice when you want strength and weight, and you want to control costs. It has a couple of poor properties for a turntable platter though. It is magnetic, and that keeps the user from MC cartridges. It rings like a bell and doesn't fit some subplatters or spindles well as it is typically a thin, stamped section. Any platter, even acrylic benefits from a good mat IME though. Felt is my favorite as it doesn't allow dust to sit on top of it and be held firmly in place against an Lp side when you use the table. You'd have to keep any bare platter that wasn't porous like that absolutely spotless to get the same protection level for your vinyl records. Suede might be a close second. Even rubber and cork are typically hard enough and smooth enough to keep particles top side and rigidly against your fragile Lp. That's not a situation that I fancy.
    -Bill

H8SLKC and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Did exactly the same thing with my previous table (Rega) to the same effect.

8. David A.

David A. Forum Resident Thread Starter

That may be your impression but I didn't buy a leather mat because it "looks cool" (I don't think it looks particularly odious or grand). I bought it because I don't want any more dust issues, didn't want anything heavy (LP12), and wanted something regarded as not destroying the sound quality of the TT. It has worked out just fine--no more cork bits from the new cork mat I bought and returned, and no more constant battle with dust from a felt mat (tried a new felt also--same issue as the old one). different strokes, folks. Be happy!

9. dkmonroe

I wasn't being critical, I was just explaining my decision making process that led me toward the acrylic platter. The decision making process was probably flawed in some ways but it's almost certain that in my case a leather mat on a steel platter probably would not have been as much of an upgrade as an acrylic platter. But I did not mean to cast aspersion on your choice of a leather mat.

David A. likes this.
  10. David A.

David A. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didn't take your comment as being critical. It's all good!

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I use the cork Vinyl Nirvana uses. What’ s good enough for them is good enough for me.

12. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Huh, now that I have read this I have determined nothing. (RP-6)

I have cork under leather currently, replacing the felt the TT came with.
    I ordered Hudson Hi-Fi silicon, but haven't put in on yet.

Meh.

I think I need a listening session with a friend to try all the options.

wgriel and bluesaddict like this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Tried about every kind of mat made. Right now I'm happy with a Hudson silicone/rubber mat. Most recently was using a cork mat, the difference is not subtle. Vocals are far more holographic, and instruments show greater soundstage and detail. One of the least expensive mats I've tried and one of the best, at least on an AT LP140.

wgriel likes this.
  14. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I've used felt mats in the past, and while they sound good on a Rega or Linn they definitely are a pain.

I currently have a leather/suede mat, pictured below. Either side can be used. No static, which is nice.

[​IMG]

I also have a VPI mat, made of I don't know what. It does feel kind of like felt, but not that soft or loose - it doesn't have fibers that come off the mat. It's relatively thick. Comparing the two mats, I think the VPI mat sounds better.

[​IMG]

I have a Herbie's mat that I will try soon, plus a cork mat. I'm also planning on buying an acrylic mat to see how that sounds.

wgriel likes this.
  15. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

What is a Herbies?

16. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Turntable Mats

I used to use a Herbie’s mat and quite liked it. Currently I have an acrylic platter and don’t use a mat at all

Catcher10 likes this.
  17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I dislike felt mats but they solve my static problem

18. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

Me too. Tried cork and felt and heard no difference so just put the original rubber back on.
    I figured the Thorens engineers know more than I do.

Manimal likes this.
  19. Vinowino

Vinowino Forum Resident

I have a very expensive Clearaudio turntable. It has no mat. They did not recommend one. Best sounding table I have had.
    Previously with other turntables I had felt, rubber, cork because I thought one was supposed to. I will not go back to a mat.

20. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

what wgriel said......

wgriel likes this.
  21. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Yeah, some years ago I used a Herbie's Way Excellent mat on a ProJect turntable I owned. I had serious static problems with the supplied felt mat and tried the Herbies as a possible replacement and loved it. When I sold the turntable I included the mat: my replacement table has an acrylic platter and I don't use a mat with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.