I'm thinking of buying a Funk FxR II arm.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Ellis, Aug 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking of replacing my old modified RB300 on my Gyrodec SE with a Funk FxR arm. Is this a wise move or do you have other suggestions before I start auditions?

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've never heard one but I'm fascinated by the design and if it's true that they've lowered the levels of arm tube resonance to the degree that they claim without damping and mass, it would be a major improvement over any Rega. To me arm tube resonances and ringing are the big problems with Rega arms (and pretty much with all tonearms). I recently went through a big round of damping my modded Rega -- adding a bunch of weight to the counterweight to lower keep the effective mass at a reasonable level as damping the arm tube has inevitably added mass. The sound is much improved but it's a kludgy, imperfect solution. The small, cross-braced, rigid armtube of the Funk seems like a great idea and the plots they publish sure look great. Have you heard the arm? What are your impressions?

The one thing I'd say is that the thing seems kind of pricey for something that's, regardless of what the company says, is still a Rega rebuild, not a ground up manufacture and the design.

David Ellis likes this.
  3. missan

missan Forum Resident

Personally I would rather look at the Origin Live modificated RB250, if You like a Rega arm. Seems it´s very much liked. The problem is though with all these types of modifications they have not looked at low frequency stability enough IMO, so for me they are not interesting enough.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The SME arms have a synergy with the Gyrodec. Heard good things about the Funk but would g0 with the slightly cheaper 309 myself.

utahusker likes this.
  5. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I never heard of this until today. It looks aimed primarily at Rega owners. It has VTA adjustment, but no azimuth?

6. David Ellis

No I've not heard one yet but my hifi dealer, all the guys, swear by it (to put it in perspective these same guys recommend a £1500 amp over its £2000 big brother, rightly in my opinion). They've offered to fit one to my gyrodec and let me listen to it at home but I thought I'd get some other opinion before I went through the hastle.
    It is expensive but I would think it's not easy to manufacture.
    I suppose it comes down to whether it's worth £1300 in sound quality improvement.

7. David Ellis

My RB300 is Origin Live modified.

8. David Ellis

Not sure about SME. I'm not that impressed from what I've heard and wouldn't change for the SME arm.

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well if you do try it out please report back. I'm very curious about this arm myself because it seems designed to attack what I thinks of as the biggest problem with tonearms generally and the Rega in particular.

10. David Ellis

I'm thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and audition one. One thing the guys at Brady's told me "it's not a tonearm, just an arm":)

chervokas likes this.
  11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Arthur K may or may not have finalised the design. What concerns me he hasn't tackled the counterweight arrangement which makes a big difference. Not many have actually been sold although prototypes have been around for years. Last version I saw still looked Rega with different armtube which makes the difference. Make sure you audition the current aluminum armtube and not the original carbon fibre (samples went to some dealers). I know a fair bit about this arm through a close contact of AK who posts on Uk forums. Not heard it so it's up to you to decide. The SME has better QC backup etc and the manufacturer will likely be around forever to service the thing if needed - known synergy with Mitchell decks and far better than the Rega. You might also try the Audiomods arm which completely rebuilds the Rega rather than the usual tube or counterweight modding. Impressive at the price.

12. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

This is a really interesting company and their products are made with a distinct flair imo so you are making an interesting choice ... I am sure you have seen the Tone Audio review where they compare it against an SME 309 and RB1000...

13. David Ellis

No I haven't. I'll check it out. Thanks Joel

14. David Ellis

Wow that's some review and it endorses everything that Brady's have told me. I can feel the bank account taking a hammering:)

15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Hi David!

Why not try to audition what a SME IV can do before going for the Funk FxR? I tried several Rega based arms (including the Michell TechnoArm) on my Gyro SE and they all sounded good but when I tried the SME IV everything fell into its places. Michell turntables and SME tonearms are really matches made in heaven. The Funk FxR get a high score in the Tone Audio review but I think it is worth to audition the SME IV as well before making the decision.

16. David Ellis

You're right I should look a bit further if I'm spending that kind of money. I'll have a chat with the guys at Bradys. I know they sell SME.

17. David Ellis

Right guys. I auditioned the Funk FxR at Brady's on Saturday. I think it's awesome. It took me many steps along the road to "being there" from my modified RB300. It is extremely analytical and with one set of (£3800) speakers was even virtually unlistenable it was that harsh. I compared it to another couple of arms, one a little more expensive and one a lot more (it would be unfair to name names) but neither IMO was anywhere near it. Anyway Brady's have been kind enough to lend it to me for the week so I can decide whether to purchase or not. I already know the answer and I've asked Brady's how long the lead time is. It works superbly in my system on the Gyro with a Dynavector 20X2, through the Alabaster & JMLabs 905s.
    The guys there know the maker, Arthur Koubesserian, who they tell me is bordering on genius but mad as a hatter. Anyway they are made under the personal supervision of AK and that's why not many have been sold and why they are expesive for a modified RB300. I would encourage anybody in the market to at least audition it.
    Hopefully they are on the phone to AK as I write.:righton:

Mikemaxcel and JoelWat like this.
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm still very tempted by this arm, especially as I have a good RB-300 already that makes it a lot less expensive, if I had the cash I'd be very tempted to take the plunge, although if I stumbled across a cheap SME IV/V I wouldn't say no either.

19. David Ellis

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

David, in case you didn't know you can send in your own Rega arm for conversion and save about a third on the cost of the FXR, something I learned in another thread and also something that made me more interested in taking the plunge on the Funk Firm.

21. David Ellis

Hi Dub'. I did know. I think it saves around £300. My RB300 is nearly 30 years old though so I thought I'd go for new. Apprently the FxR is only made to order. Though the guys at Brady's did say that Rega are getting a bit funny about people in the trade buying their arms and upgrading them so I might have to go that route.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Every Gyrodec I have heard which I liked best, all had SME tonearms fitted. The ones I heard and didn't like had other tonearms. Never heard one with the Funk Firm arm so can't pass judgement on that arm.

23. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The Funk Firm arm is fantastic, far better than any other Rega-based arm I've heard, and that includes the Origin Lives and the Michell Tecnoarm.

24. David Ellis

Nice to know because I haven't heard any of the Original Live arms.

25. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The first Origin Live Silver was actually very special for a very reasonable amount of money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.