iMac 5K (2015) audio out to Dynaudio Xeo 6... HOW?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wired4Fun, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok. I’m using an iMac 5K from 2015 in my office. Recently got a pair of Dynaudio Xeo 6 and the connect box.

The optical on the box is being utilized for a Node 2i, but all other inputs are free.

I want to watch Netflix on my computer and get the sound to the Xeo’s.

What cables, output, etc can be used to make this happen? Or do I need another “device”. Or is it not possible?

Thanks for the help, in advance!!!

2. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

Should have a few options:

1. USB. Type A from the iMac; type mini B to the Connect Wireless Transmitter box.
    I think this maxes out at 16bit/48kHz (think it's the Focus XD speakers that can take advantage of 24bit/96kHz).

You will need to select the appropriate USB output (not sure how the Dynaudio Connect will identify itself) as the sound output device.

2. Use the iMac's headphone output using a 3.5mm > 3.5mm cable and plug in to the Connect's AUX IN , or 3.5mm > 6.3mm stereo RCA cable to connect to the Connect's Line In. Either way, maximise the iMac's output volume, and control volume from the Dynaudio remote.

The online manual might help: Dynaudio Connect / Hub / Extender / Link. User manual. English. User manual

Wired4Fun likes this.
  3. swagoo

swagoo New Member

You can do this

Out of interest, what do you use the 2i for? Can't you just stream via the connect box?

Wired4Fun likes this.
  4. Wired4Fun

Thanks. It was easy to get the Node working and playing music. I couldn’t seem to get Tidal to stream from my phone to the speakers no matter what I did. I’ll try again as I JUST got the speakers, and I am of the understanding that the Node is not needed, too.

5. swagoo

swagoo New Member

I'm a noob. I'm just interested because I have my eye on the XEO 20s, and I'm trying to figure out what other magic boxes I need.

6. Wired4Fun

I’m assuming there is a way for me to stream Tidal via Bluetooth from my iPhone to the Xeo 6, but I’ll be damned if I could get it working, lol.

I had the Node laying around so I plugged it in and voila, music.

Gotta see about getting the music to work a different way. Maybe just connect the 3.5mm out as stated above, and stream today from my iMac, as long as it sounds as good as the Node does...

7. Wired4Fun

UPDATE to Bluetooth. Got it working. Was a little finicky but it paired, and I’m streaming Tidal from my iPhone right to the Xeo 6’s.

Guess I CAN sell my Node2i, now! Lol!

8. swagoo

swagoo New Member

Isn't the Node 2i a lot better than the Dynaudio box though? If you're gonna get rid of one...

9. Wired4Fun

Reality is, it’s limited quality either way, and for the purposes of my use (moderate volume music in my office) I don’t need the Node as a source. Rather have the $400 back in my pocket.

My main rig is where I listen, primarily. :)
    In that system, I worry about every little thing LOL.

10. swagoo

swagoo New Member

Actually I don't think you can just plug in the 2i to your laptop via USB like you can with the connect. How would you connect it for playing browser stuff/ netflix etc?

Wired4Fun likes this.
  11. Wired4Fun

If you run the audio out from the computer via the 3.5 mm on my iMac, to the connect box, you get sound.

The iMac does not (on my model) do USB sound out, to my knowledge, but I could be wrong.

12. Wired4Fun

Ok. Off to Best Buy to grab 3.5mm cable to see if this Netflix idea of mine works, LOL.

Wish me luck. #technicallychallenged

13. swagoo

swagoo New Member

I mean you can do that on the connect box, but i dont think you can do that on the 2i?

14. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

It should. Type A to mini-B cable should be all you need.
    It should appear in System Preferences > Sound > Output as a selectable device.
    Alternatively, open Audio MIDI Setup, and select the Dynaudio Connect device (right-click on it, and from the pop-up menu options, select 'Use this device for sound output'. You can also select the bit depth and sample rate.

bdfin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.