IMDb eliminating its message boards

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I watched "The Barefoot Contessa" the other night on TCM. I went to IMDB afterwards to see about the cars in the movie and found out that the reason the Count's car was right hand drive was so the driver could see the edge of the road when driving in the mountains. A good piece of information I got from their message boards.

After seeing a movie a lot of times I go to IMDB to see what an actor has been in before to see why they looked familiar and then a lot of times I would go to the message boards to see what people had to say. Yes there are a lot of "this movie sucks" "you suck" threads on there but there were also some good threads as well. I am going to miss it.

Chad

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ironically I hardly ever posted there.
    But, found the information on the message boards film related invaluable.
    Closure ?
    Bad day at bad rock, indeed.

Gems-A-Bems and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Boy, the bastards couldn't even wait until it was the 20th everywhere. I've been browsing movies on IMDb for about half an hour, and up until a few minutes ago the message boards were there. Not anymore...

alexpop, OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I very rarely go on IMDB. But it's still ridiculous that they had to choose today to shut down instead of tomorrow.

Steve Carras likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Right now it's past 12:01AM in the UK.

(CEO is from the UK - so even though it's a subsidiary of Amazon, it's still listed as a private company. So I guess the CEO is running it on GMT time)

6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

They just shut down about an hour ago..or at least that was when I checked..

7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

In my experience IMDB did a terrible job of moderating its message boards. When the Baz Luhrmann version of The Great Gatsby came out, there was one poster who started about five separate threads on that movie's message board asking if there was any "making of" footage of the car accident in which Myrtle Wilson is killed. I searched for other content by this person and 95% of his posts were related to the death scenes of female characters. I reported the poster to IMDB with numerous links to the threads this obviously disturbed individual had started. Never heard anything back and they didn't take down any of the posts.

Vahan likes this.
  8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Same thing with the troll I was bringing up previously, who said things like "sh!t for brains" and "**** breath". IMDB did NOTHING to stop him. They just let him go about his merry way like he did nothing wrong.

Oh, well. After last Friday, I'm never seeing him again.

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was more offended by what Baz Luhrmann did to The Great Gatsby

jriems, Rufus McDufus and alexpop like this.
  10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

What a weirdo

11. alexpop

Biggest load of crap ever on screen.

12. alexpop

Couldn't they have just have wiped the the slate, reopened it with troll bashing moderators? A better option.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and moj like this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Based on some of the bona fide bull that appears on their trivia pages, they should zap those, too, but I digress.

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  14. JoeD

JoeD Forum Resident

15. Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. alexpop

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

RIP.

MikaelaArsenault and moj like this.
  18. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Indeed. I miss it already. It's going to be tough to kick the habit of looking up a movie/actor and scrolling to the bottom for some information from the message board section.

I'd like to say I'm not going to use the site any longer, but it's not true. I'll still use it to look up actors in films/shows and other info about them.

Sigh...

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I almost never used the message boards, and on the rare times that I did check them out, they were beyond useless.
    They certainly won't be missed by me.

showtaper likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What did the message boards offer? The website is there for information- that's the purpose of it. The message boards didn't seem to offer anything constructive.

21. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

To you.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But what if he ends up HERE instead? :laugh:

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

He'd fit in well.

24. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I've seen people posting around the Internet that the reason they closed the boards was because they couldn't figure out how to monetize them. If they wanted to monetize the boards, couldn't they just have put up ads?

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You could have "never seen him again" right away just by blocking him.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did too anytime I looked up a movie or actress or actor. You could try using Wikipedia instead for the basic movie stat stuff. I think I will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.