IMDb eliminating its message boards

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What was that ..IMDb 2 ?

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Jump The Shark" was originally a db of TV shows w/comments from readers. As you might guess, it was a mixture of interesting reviews, nostalgia, and off-the-wall trolling -- some of it witless, some of it absolutely hilarious. I have fond memories of surfing there. It was no IMDb, but it was fun.

3. alexpop

no IMDb "
    That's the dilemma.
    It's like they got rid of the plasma, but the good news is they replaced it with OLED /4K. But, org IMDb... there's no substitute yet,

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. JozefK

As I wrote earlier in the thread, what made IMDb unique/invaluable was its huge user base, which meant ordinary people would stumble onto the message boards of individual films and stars and TV shows. You'd end up getting all sorts of interesting stuff: people recalling what it was like to attend a Saturday morning kiddie matinee, or reminiscing about the time some star was in their little town on a promotional tour, or when they were an extra in some movie.

What's devastating is I don't know if all that can ever be replaced. Amazon doesn't have any real message board system (they certainly don't promote them) and various film forums don't have the traffic or the scope.

I really think we lost something irreplaceable.

lightbulb, OldSoul, shaboo and 4 others like this.
  5. alexpop

It's like having b&w tv, then being given color tv for a decade ..then it being stopped and replaced with b&w tv again. Not quite, but you get the picture.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I don't have any reason to go there anymore. Terrible.

7. alexpop

It's still useful for filmographies.

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

It's unfortunate that someone wasn't able to scrape all the content from the message boards and archive it somewhere else before they were closed down. I suspect legal issues related to copyright and ownership may have arisen if someone had undertaken that approach, however.

9. alexpop

Wonder what the IMDb viewing figure is now, a tad less i would imagine.
    Ironically even if it was brought back a lot of important message board info would have been wiped.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. JozefK

Some posts were archived here:
    MovieChat.org

But not everything. I randomly searched for two '50s TV westerns (The Rebel and Yancy Derringer), a Dennis Hopper biker flick from the '60s (The Glory Stompers), and a Lubitsch drama from 1932 (The Man I Killed aka Broken Lullaby) and all had boards. But some actors don't. Harrison Ford has one, but character actor Joe Turkel (the bartender in The Shining) and '70s starlet Christina Hart do not -- and I remember reading their boards on IMDb.

11. alexpop

COL Needham wiped they whole lot, kaboom, gone in a flash. Feel sorry for paid members ( and not cheap).

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Now they have added a ROBOTS.TXT file to thier message boards so you cant even look @ the old messages with the archive site now!! (Last week I was able to)

WHAT A BUNCH OF STUPID MORONS........

MikaelaArsenault and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

They don't like us.

Dude111 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

:shake:

It's a sin really.

Dude111 and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

themoviedb.org seems to be the best option so far ( had a look at most out there).

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I miss it already. I went to look at something today, scrolled down out of habit, and it was gone. :(

Dude111 likes this.
  17. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

The more I think about this the less I like it.

When I become interested in a particuar actor, I'll start watching all the films of, say, Alan Ladd. Then I'd go to IMDB's forum for interesting trivia. Nope, can't do that now.

A few years ago I was a member of a very limited, small, special-interest forum. The owner/admin dropped hints that she was stepping down. I'd have been happy to take it over, but I never got the chance. The site vanished one day.

Still. It's teh innerwebz; unless you own something, it can disappear in the blink of an eye.

18. alexpop

Any chance of the IMDb messsge board coming back ?

Dude111 likes this.
  19. alexpop

I mean, what were they thinking ???
    Tsk tsk.

MikaelaArsenault and Holy Diver like this.
  20. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Yep... after watching a film, I spend 1-5 minutes reading the trivia, and then leave the site.
    Previously, I'd spend half an hour or more reading the discussions. What a waste.

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You seriously didn't know this until now?

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

I went there daily.
    The best thing ( really ) was the message boards.

Kirk76 and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  23. alexpop

Guess less time spent there means more productive things to do, consolation prize, but still leaves a hungry void.

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

While I have never created an account to use the message boards there were always interestin messages on the site. I remember reading one thread created by Stephen Talbot. You might know him better as The Beav's buddy Gilbert "Gee Beave, I dunno....". He had some interesting things to say about the show as he doesn't have anything to do with it now and doesn't care for it very much. But he didn't bad-talk anyone on the show just gave some of his thoughts and it was an interesting discussion. I know I'll miss browsing around.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I knew it, but for so many years I was used to looking down for the message board that I did it out of habit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.