Impressions on Jolida JD9?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lymbo, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey Bill, it was the Pro-Ject Phono Box RS, not the Tube Box. And Needle Doctor just now informed me that they've had 4 units come back recently with the same channel loss issue. So I definitely don't have confidence in that certain model. Too bad because I really liked it. So did Michael Fremer according to his review. Back to the drawing board. I may go the step-up path.

2. Lymbo

I'm actually on the verge of giving up on vinyl after the day I've had today. Having to refund a turntable I sold that I'm 100% sure was in perfect working order. Very little recourse as a seller on eBay. Screw you very much eBay. I've learned my lesson. Done with them. I've sold dozens of turntables, cartridges and miscellaneous audio gear with perfect feedback, yet no protection for the seller.

Then the bad news with the preamp. Uber frustrated today. :realmad: :cussing:

Seriously going to contemplate selling my Parasound, SL-1200MK2, SL-1600 and my cartridges....just not on eBay!

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sadly, you just have to sell turntables local I've found. I had to refund a table I sold on ebay too, because the dust cover wasn't pristine enough. Made me mad as #@$!.

Lymbo likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I like my Parasound Halo Int but the phonother stage is nothing special as you've noticed. I bought a Lounge LCR and it's a good improvement.

You mentioned selling your Parasound, is that because you're unsatisfied with the phono section or the amp or both?

What about selling on Audiogon?
    I have yet to have a bad experience as a seller on eBay, but I try to include high res photos and very thorough descriptions.

5. Lymbo

I always post hi res photos. On this turntable I'm having to take back and issue a refund, I actually had his res photos and links to two youtube videos, one showing the turntable playing through my home system speakers and the other with the camera connected directly to provide better audio. The guy says he gets a constant hum. He won't say if he used the ground cable or tried a different head shell. I never had this problem and eBay insists I have to issue the refund and PayPal has locked the funds. I've sold dozens of turntables with no problems. Only very positive feedback on the way my items were shipped and packaged and how accurate my descriptions and photos were.

I will check into Audiogon when I decide what I'm going to try to price everything at.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's real unfortunate about your eBay experience. That marketplace seems to have gone down hill over the past few years. Hopefully the buyer will return your turntable in the same condition.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not at all.

There's this forum, Canuck or US Audio Mart, Audiogon... Resources are there. eBay is far from being the only game in town. And let's face it ; you have more chances of having people who whine for no good reason over there than you would encounter that type elsewhere.

8. Strat-Mangler

That's basically the big issue with eBay. You're selling to the masses. Most people won't be aware of things such as ground. The buyer will automatically deem the item to be defective and back to you it goes, sometimes in worse condition it departed in.

Selling to a people in the know such as on this forum will yield fewer chances of something like this occurring due to the inherently more thorough knowledge on such matters that most members would tend to have.

Lymbo and Dave like this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I sell lots of things on all of the for sale sites, including here. Turntables are different. I shipped the table perfectly packaged in its factory packaging, and the buyer complained to ebay I didn't package it well. Didn't even listen to it, concluded it must be broken. There's so many things that can go wrong, so many variables, that it's not worth my time. YMMV, etc.

10. Strat-Mangler

Read my post. ;)

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Run a Passive Preamp easily!

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What type of tubes should I get to replace the stock Chinese tubes?:cheers:

13. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

When I had mine I used GE JAN 12ax7WA (new old stock) to good effect. Lots of options to chose from :)

Dennis Metz likes this.
  14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It isn't going to matter too much. The Chinese tubes can actually outperform many vintage tubes. The JD9 is a hybrid with most all of its gain in the solid state op amps before the tube output stage.
    -Bill

whaiyun likes this.
  15. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Sovtek 12ax7lps were a lot better than I expected

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.