In '67, what song(s) off Sgt. Peppers got heavy radio rotation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Pre and young teens were into The Monkees. And The Beatles released the summer of love anthem single about the same time as Pepper. But there are a few Pepper songs that would have made great singles. WALHFMF and LSD the main contenders

2. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Great tune:

[​IMG]

colgems1966 likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Yes, it certainly does.

5. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

We can look back on that footage and it looks 'somewhat' idyllic due to the established architecture, the young people walking and laying. But long-time residents probably considered that era the beginning of a decline.

Dub in some Sgt. Pepper to complete the picture!

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Only posted these videos just to show what going on.

So true.

ronm and notesfrom like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Just posting this for fun. May 1967. Interesting stuff.

8. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

BBC radio famously played the whole album one Saturday upon its release, the whole album, that is, save for A Day In the Life, which it banned. I well remember first hearing Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds being played on one of the pirate radio ships operating off the coast of Britain, probably Radio Caroline.

Beatle Ed and edenofflowers like this.
  9. I was 9, and not really into music yet, not as a record buyer anyway. Yet I recall that I was sensitive to The Beatles' new things being played on AM radio, and have clear memorie of hearing Paperback Writer and Penny Lane (with the trumpet tail end) in their day. But I had never heard anything off Pepper before the group had split and I began tuning-in to special week-end Beatles shows off the radio (still AM) where they'd be playing singles and album tracks. Pretty soon a friend had lent me his album, and I think besides ADITL only, it was something totally new to me.

...Which brings me to my point that it's quite amazing to think that, relying on most accounts so far in this thread, the album's early fame would be based on word-of-mouth and critics praise only! In an era where there was about nothing else but radio and some TV to hear about new music...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Monasmee likes this.
  10. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I was also 9 years old at the time, and have distinct memories of playing in the pool of the teenage girl who lived next door. Her portable radio was always on KRLA and throughout June and July, I reckon I must've heard "A Day In The Life" almost as often as "Windy" and "Light My Fire." In August, it was finally superseded by "All You Need Is Love."

olsen, hi_watt, notesfrom and 3 others like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I was listening to WABC in New York the night they first got the album (I was ten). The first song they played was "Getting Better." That and Rita were the tracks they mostly wound up playing.

Wasn't an issue for long though, because they had "All You Need is Love" just a few weeks later.

notesfrom and Monasmee like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe Procol Harum's 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' was on heavy radio rotation back then.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I remember With a Little Help, Lucy, A Day in the Life, Getting Better, She's Leaving Home, Rita, and even When I'm 64 getting radio airplay. WOR FM and WNEW FM played songs from the album all the time in New York.

notesfrom and Monasmee like this.
  14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Also to note: The Monkees Headquarters album released one week before Pepper didn't have any singles from the album either (in the USA at least).

geo50000 likes this.
  15. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

To be sure I pulled out a copy of realization and the jukebox does indeed keep on playing Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Great album btw severely underrated. ( Realization that is IMO Pepper is overrated)

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I love the slightly too long ending stare.

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Satisfaction

18. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

In the DFW area I definitely remember ADITL on AM radio.

19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I thought it was Bonie Maronie

20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

With the popularity of AM radio, Sergeant Pepper’s seemed to be the perfect album to transition listeners to the FM radio underground.

From frolicking & fun to hip & heavy.

21. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Great station, famous for playing the leaked "Get Back" album. But in 1967 they were still all classical.

Crimson jon likes this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Perhaps the first rock or teen pop album that was considered to be experienced as a complete statement, but not at all the first pop album.

23. mongo

mongo Senior Member

That pretty much is the same as I remember it in a small Pacific Northwest town I grew up in.
    Sgt. Pepper was the soundtrack of Summer 1967.

24. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Same. Maybe on KFWB. Was quite the f*** you by the Beatles “This isArt”

blutiga likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That and "When I'm 64" are all I remember hearing from Pepper on the radio at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.