In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by white wolf, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Then there is Keith Moon, who played a drum solo on every Who song...underneath the music of course. :D

One Louder likes this.
  2. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

100,000 years by Kiss on alive 1

3. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I know the song, though I can never spell the title correctly. I once hung out with Ron Bushy and the bass player at that time a guy
    named Phil Kramer, who later died supposedly as some sort of secret agent. Anyway I remember Bushy playing me some tapes of him
    and the singer from Yes in Amsterdam, and showing me his drums and telling me invented the double kick drum set up. I don't know if
    he really did but he claimed it. Anyway, the solo is ok, I generally hate drum solos but if any band should do one, it might as well be them
    on a long track like that. Is the drum solo on the single version of the record ? i hate to admit, I can't remember it at all

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

John Marshall used to do one drum/percussion solo piece on every Soft Machine album he played on in the 70's (one of which was unashamedly "borrowed" by Steven Wilson and used on Porcupine Tree's Third Eye Surfer - he obviously couldn't anticipate how widespread exposure his bedroom dabblings were to receive later on).

5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Rarely have ever heard of IGDV being referred to when it comes to a drum solo. Perhaps it's my age - 38 - where once it was commonly referred to but got left behind in favor of many that came after it. Usuallly YYZ on Exit I can remember being referred to more than any other.

junk likes this.
  6. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Sorry, I stand corrected ..T.N.U.C. is the particular Brewer drum solo i was thinking of.
    Thanks!

Myke likes this.
  7. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I used to buy old issues of Trouser Press and they had a column called Ravin' Favs where they had subscribers write in with their various favorite things in music. One was about best drum solos and someone wrote in that Keith Moon's 10 second tom fills on Happy Jack was probably the best drum solo in rock. I liked that.

Myke likes this.
  8. 905

905 Senior Member

The only two drum solos I care to listen to is this one and Ringo's The End.

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Who cares about age varispeed if the music is good go with it no boundries i'm a child of the 60s and that is my thinking anyway!!!

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Sing Sing Sing- Benny Goodman live at Carnegie Hall. Gene Krupa drum solo(he drives the entire 12 minute jam!)

THIS IS FREAKIN"ROCK AND ROLL from 1939

11. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this clip, brings back a LOT of memories. The sound on the drum kit is amazing. Somthing you don't hear much of anymore. Met Pete back in the 90's when he was part of a "classic rock" band that included Jerry Corbetta from Sugarloaf. Still hard to believe I saw Rare Earth and Iron Butterfly a few weeks apart in a nightclub at West End in NOLA back in 1978. Fantastic days back then when they had handfuls of clubs that had live music.

12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Back then, that required two people. Was so glad to see Edgar do it live(twice). Always wondered how that solo was pulled off.

13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

"Motorboat to Mars" from Chicago III - Danny Seraphine delivers a great, creative and concise drum solo, which serves as an extended intro to "Free"

14. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bushy's drum solo is the first one ever done with a double kick drum. Anyone know? I would guess its likely

15. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I agree. Great Song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.