In A Silent Way - Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meloski, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Meloski

Meloski I don't roll on Shabbat Thread Starter

I took about a year on Spotify till I really started to get into this album. But now I must have it, as I have come to realize just how wonderful it is.

My question is, with all these delicate passages throughout this masterpiece could someone please recommend to me a which release to look for. I think my system will do a really nice copy justice.

2. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

3. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Seconded on Disionity recommendations. The MoFi releases are wonderful. Shh, peaceful.

art, Blank Frank and spencer1 like this.
  4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

5. Airhead

Airhead Forum Resident

Hard to imagine a better version, the MOFI's are special.

6. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

MoFi or an original. different yet the same.

mikeyt and Bakeryrec like this.
  7. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

AnalogJ, Nycademon, jaxpads and 14 others like this.
  8. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I wish We Want Miles got the MoFi treatment.

petercl and eflatminor like this.
  9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

This was my first non-ECM jazz album. Heard it at a party in 1983-84 and went straight out and bought it. Doubt mine is original, but always thought it had a great vibe.

Also didn't know MoFi did a version.

I love all that late '60's Miles Quintet stuff in general -- Nefertiti, Sorcerer, Filles de Kilimanjaro etc.

Is the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions worth seeking out?

10. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Yes, it is because it has the complete unedited takes of all the IASW material. Lovely to hear the full pieces and also nice to be reminded what a genius editing job Teo Macero did with what he was handed.

Nycademon, jaxpads, DJ LX and 12 others like this.
  11. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll try to find one or just borrow it from a friend who has everything, and rip it.

BTW, my record says chet after the usual matrix/runout on both sides.

I have The Complete Columbia Album Collection. Haven't plucked IASW out from the pack yet. I just play the record.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

I recommend the Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, not just for its completeness, but also because I prefer its more open sound to that on the mobile fidelity sacd.

13. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

I first heard the edited remix by Bill Laswell on Panthalassa, and went out and bought the blue-bordered Columbia CD, which didn’t sound as good. When the Complete Sessions box came out, I grabbed that, and more recently the Complete Columbia set (sounds the same as the box to me). I wanted a vinyl copy so got the MoFi. That is a wonderfully detailed slab of vinyl.

The ‘Complete’ set is misleadingly titles as one of the three discs contains tracks from Filles de Kilimanjaro - a different band, sound and session. However the other two discs are worth the price of admission: you get the wonderful Ghetto Walk, which could have been Side C of the album, plus the unedited takes.

14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

My favourite album by Miles.

JuanTCB, GLENN, Leeston and 4 others like this.
  15. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I seem to have acquired several versions of In A Silent Way over the years...

My two pennorth's worth is that the Mo-Fi sounds best, especially if you have a decent SACD player, and the Complete... is necessary for the context of the album. And I like Bill Laswell's Panthalassa version.

For something different again Bob Belden's Miles From India has the title piece, amongst many other Miles pieces, or Waddada Leo Smith and Henry Kaiser's Yo Miles! Sky Garden set opens with It's About That Time.

mikeyt, DJ LX, waaguirr and 2 others like this.
  16. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

For some unknown reason I just can’t get into IASW. Love most of his work that went before and after, but this album doesn’t do much for me.

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It is a Miles album that has grown in significance to me over the years. Of the 25 Miles albums I have it is definitely in the top 3 -5 favorites.

18. Meloski

What's number 1 & 2?

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Kind of Blue and Sketches Of Spain

mikeyt, Natural E and Ryan Lux like this.
  20. Meloski

Sketches of Spain is on deck for tonight then.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@jamesc we were just discussing this great album.

jamesc likes this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I had bad luck with this MOFI vinyl. I got two copies... both with significant noise for at least 6 minutes to start one of the sides.

I kept it... but kind of gave up. First time I've had difficulty with a MOFI vinyl.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

As I already said, In a Silent Way is my favourite Miles's album.
    I'd like to add that my favourite track on the album but also regarding whole Miles' fusion catalogue (I'm never listening to Miles' pre-fusion stuff, that's just not my cup of tea) is Shhh Peaceful 1/2, mostly due to beautiful cosmic vibe on it; Zawinul's keys are amazing.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

"Shh/Peaceful" IMO just happens to be one o' those pieces of music that just takes you on a trip whenever you hear it. To use the word "transcendent" may seem like a buncha pimply hyperbole, but if the shoe fits...

25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The blue border Columbia discs of this and ...Brew put me off electric Miles for at least a decade; I had so much trouble trying to find the appeal, but it was all buried in the muddy sonics of both that I gave up until I got the Complete Columbia Collection box. Then, it all made much more sense, like someone had wiped a layer of dirt from a window.