In Appreciation of the Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Step One of get off the merry-go-round!

bradleyc, theron d and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Absolutely love them. My favorite speaker yet. It would require a lottery win to get me off of them.

GyroT, bradleyc, joeriz and 1 other person like this.
  4. timind

timind phorum rezident

Interesting review.
    I was not really interested in the Harbeth prior to spending time on this forum. I find user comments to be more valid than professional reviewer's. And the information on this site is overwhelmingly positive.
    The Compact 7-ES3 is the model that seems to come up on the used market at a reasonable price also. Thanks for sharing.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

Yes, sir. Stop the spinning and staring winning!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. ServingTheMusic

The sweetheart of the Harbeth line. Agree..you can spend a LOT more and not be more musically satisfied.

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Ready to check these out after hearing the super HL5 recently. I am hoping theses have similar transparency.
    I know these are great for acoustic music, but what about rock / electric?
    Smaller rooms only?
    Recommended minimum power?

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I want.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Me too.

10. Art K

Last Saturday night I was up until 3:00 am rocking out with them and as loud as I care to listen. Admittedly I don't play as loud as some but it was very loud to me. I use a 33 watt per channel Sonneteer Campion amp.

RemyM, ogbbv, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  11. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Compact 7es3's. They created a sense of depth and resolution that I never experienced before at that price. I'd still have them but when I got the opportunity to claim a spare bedroom (9x12) as a man cave the room was too small for the 7's to be at their best. If I ever go back to a larger space like the 18x13 family room I'll pick them up again. In the meantime I'm keeping my eye out for a used pair of the current version of the P3's.

12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

That wasn't a review it was a bl*w-job for the Harbeth importer.

Any review of that speaker (and they're real nice) that totally ignores the crazy inflated prices is a poor review. Four grand for these? Seven for the 30.1's? Crazy.

bootbox, Bolero and thesisinbold like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Not disagreeing necessarily so please suggest something you prefer at the price point and why.

14. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

If it were not for the price I would own a pair. Same with many other well regarded things.

15. Art K

I don't believe that was meant to be a review. The review was some time ago. I could be wrong but I think that this thread and written piece was relative to having the C7's in his system for 7 years running, and why. That is a long time for many audiophiles and a longer time for a reviewer. FWIW, I agree with every word written in that piece. That said, I'm sure Walter is not disappointed by it either...:)

16. ServingTheMusic

Worth every cent and pence of the $4000....AND MORE. 7 years and counting in the bedroom listening room. Nothing I would pay double for to replace them with.

17. ServingTheMusic

Bingo. The title was "In appreciation of...". It was not a review.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  18. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I would LOVE the opportunity to listen to Harbeths. The little ones appeal to me the most but I wonder how much better (different) they are from something like the NHT Classic 3 (which I hate the looks of). I have a pair of Celestion DL-8 Series II from the old days as my main speakers but love the NHT SuperOnes in two other systems (but again, don't like the plastic laminate finish). I just love the old school looks of the Harbeths.

19. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

This may not be the best place to ask, but are you guys running a subwoofer(s) with your 7ES3's? I'm very tempted by these and am wondering how they fare on the low end.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. Art K

I am not running a sub.

IanL likes this.
  21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No. They're not 'low end' speakers but still have a wonderful taut, clean, decently extended low-end in the right room or room set up. I am not a subwoofer fan at all. Then again the music I listen to is not bottom end dependent.

Scott in DC likes this.
  22. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Neither am I.
    -Bob

23. ServingTheMusic

No sub here either. Not a sub guy.

24. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Right now I'm running a pair of the Wharfedale Denton 8oth Anniversary Editions without a sub and am happy with the low end. Anyone heard both that can shed some light on how they compare down low? I know overall it'll be no comparison, but for now I'm just trying to get a feel for if these will fit the bill.

25. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I have heard most of the Harbeth line and IMO there really isn't any way one can go wrong with any of them...unless you try and jamb the 40.1 or 40.2 into too small a room:doh:. These speakers are truly excellent; leaving many a competing design in the dust. What they do not have...unfortunately, is a certain snob appeal that would allow them to appeal to the market that wants to spend the BIG coin. This is only due to marketing, but in some ways leads me to respect them even more. However, I suppose Alan Shaw could always come out with a metal based flexible box design, make sure it would weigh in at 1000 lbs a side and cost $500K and solve this problem, LOL.:tiphat:

TSWisla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.