In Appreciation of the Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max

Max Forum Resident

I’ve had Audio Monitors Platinum PL100 for years. I like them for their resolution and the ability to extract every single pop and crackle from the groove, along with everything else called music. They’re merciless to any badly recorded matter but if a record is first class they just shine like no other, filling the air with sweetest sounds. They may seem bright sometimes but on nice tube equipment that dulls them somewhat they’re just very very sweet. For some reason the manufacturer rates them at 42-100,000 Hz.

Anyway, last year I think I should try something different like Harberths everybody so excited about. So I pay a dealer 10% of the price of a showroom pair of a 30.1 and a pair of super hl5s so they let me have them in my system in my home for 2 weeks. If I like them they’ll send me a boxed pair and take away their samples.

First impression was “Wow!!”,and then regret and frustration like “What the heck I’ve been listening to all these years..” Then after a couple of days of trying and re-listen all over again to my whole catalogue of LPs, I gradually start to realize I’m missing something.

Something is just gone from the presentation, it’s just totally different, I’m missing the air the ribbon tweeters generate and the overall resolution. I’m getting bored and the music is getting just dull.

The Harberths are really really good but they just special, they’re old school I’d say. Not for me and I’m back to my MA. Maybe it’s just the power of habit.

Shiver likes this.
  2. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Max

It probably is the power of habit but there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking what you like. Folks forget that sometimes and end up feeling there's something wrong if they don't like what others do.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Well... I met a hot little number (Cronus Magnum ii) and divorced the Luxman 505U. I loved the Luxman, but this CMii is on a completely different level. If you've been wondering what tubes would sound like with your Harbeths, quit dragging your feet and do it!

avanti1960 and theron d like this.
  4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is Cronus Magnum ii really that wonderful? :confused:

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

In small to medium sized room, agree!!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Seafinch likes this.
  6. Seafinch

That's exactly what I thought when I saw others post about it with the C7's. I didn't think it could possibly be that huge of an upgrade (especially over an amp that costs almost twice the amount). Trust me - it's that wonderful.

theron d likes this.
  7. coopmv

Cronus Magnum ii does not work for me since it has no tape loop ...

8. Seafinch

Bummer. Maybe you should reconsider your priorities... :D

9. coopmv

One possibility is to go for the Cronus Magnum ii without its preamp ...

[​IMG]

But tube amp requires too much maintenance IMO.

Walter Koehler and Seafinch like this.
  10. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Did anyone here upgraded his Beloved Compact 7 ES-3 to Harbeth Super HL5plus ?
    any opinions ?

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

No but I did upgrade my P3Sers to m30.1 and have no regrets or regerts:D.
    The time was right the price was right and they made a substantial improvement.
    I would have even gone for a different brand of speakers and tube amp but it was out of my range.

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 is a substantial upgrade over the C7s for $1500 less than the HL5+.

13. coopmv

Are the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6's available online?

14. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, Gene Rubin and Acoustic Sounds sell them.

Gene will tell you the Harbeths are better. Maybe, I haven't heard the HL5plus, but there's a considerable difference in price between the HL5 and the Stirlings. The Stirlings are well worth the $1000 difference over the C7s to my ears. The bass, dynamics, resolution, tone and sound stage were all on another level.

However the LS3/6 can be highly revealing of poor quality recordings. Detail junkies should love the LS3/6. I never heard more realistic string tones from a speaker.

15. coopmv

So you are powering the Stirlings by your Parasound Halo integrated? Does the Parasound Halo integrated have a tape loop?

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Sorry, no tape loop on the Halo. I drove them with a couple different amps and they sounded great with my Parasound and Yamaha. I think a vintage Yamaha CA series would likely make stunning sound with them. Maybe one of those has a tape loop?

I actually don't own the Stirlings any more. Believe it or not, I replaced them because of their great resolution/ accuracy. I returned to Spendor because they're a more romantic speaker. The Spendors have a strange sort of cabinet resonance that I enjoy, however less accurate/ neutral. I actually like somewhat colored speakers.

I did have Compact 7s in my system for a lengthy home audition and can easily recommend the LS3/6 as an alternative for Harbeth fans. I think they're sort of a best-kept-secret among the current BBC family. :edthumbs:

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Yes. especially with the secret small signal tube recipe.

18. avanti1960

the only maintenance on the CMII (other than a meter reading every few months or so) is self inflicted- that being tube rolling to try to optimize the sound.
    took a while but now i am enthralled with the sound yet willing to try a new preamp tube just for fun every once in a while.

19. avanti1960

since i added a carefully selected and integrated subwoofer i have absolutely zero desire to even listen to another speaker.

Seafinch and theron d like this.
  20. Seafinch

This! Although I need to spend a little time re-dialing in my sub with the new amp.

21. coopmv

Notice the Rec Out jacks and the Analog Inputs 5 jacks. I believe these two pairs of jacks should allow a tape deck to be connected. This is the rear panel of the current Parasound Halo integrated.

[​IMG]

jon9091 likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I completely forgot about those jacks, but I think they're only there for recording, so you can send the signal from one of your devices to a recorder. They're fixed-level, so not affected by any tone/volume controls.

23. coopmv

I thought that is a tape loop right there as you have the line in and the line out right next to each other. Obviously, this is only good for one tape deck. It appears the Yamaha S801 is the only current integrated on the market that allows two tape decks to be connected but the Halo should be a better integrated amp due to its design by John Curl ...

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

Honestly, the mid-range Yamaha integrateds sound 90% as good as the Halo. That's my opinion after many comparisons between the two with different sources and speakers. The Yamahas just have a slightly leaner tonal balance and less power, but that doesn't really matter for most speakers.

The Yamahas also have a lower noise floor.

25. coopmv

Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if it may be a better idea for me to overhaul some of my vintage gears instead of going out and get new gears while many of the vintage gears are languishing in my closets. I can just buy an outboard DAC to bring my vintage preamp up to the digital age ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.