In band with own parents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Oct 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Me too. My date called out for All Mamas Children and Carl obliged and introduced his son to sing lead on it.

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I thought everybody was.

3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

[​IMG]

One of them has to be the parent of one of the others. Aw maybe they are all the kids. But it's a great pic.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    starduster and lazydawg58 like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Then Merle’s son Richard played with his grandfather with some regularity but he hated touring so it wasn’t as often we would have liked. Sadly each have passed from this world and we have no one left from that lineage performing to my knowledge.

MaggieMac, seed_drill and starduster like this.
  5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

[​IMG]

Melanie and her son and guitarist Beau.

6. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Del McCoury Band!

anth67, DPC and mr. scratchy esq like this.
  7. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I saw Leon Russell a few years ago and his son was the drummer and a daughter sang back up. As always, a very enjoyable show.

8. I saw Doc and Merle Watson with a very small audience at the Mountain Lake Biological Station of the University of Virginia back in the 1960s. Their performance was laid back and marvelous and I got to talk with both of them.

thematinggame and seed_drill like this.
  9. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

Yes, saw them in a small club in Harvard Square. Awesome show!

10. The Lewis Family, mom and pop, sons and daughters and grandkids as time went on.

11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Remember who opened?

If you were at the same show I was then it was Roy Buchanan, and he was a little unpredictable at that point. He said some things about Reagan and "666" as I recall and Carl referred to it lightly later.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Not the same thing, but both Francis Ford Coppola and Spike Lee were directors that used their fathers to compose music for their films. Just thought I’d throw that out there. It’s still a collaboration.

Madrid likes this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That's the one I saw, Jonathan Swift's if I remember right.

drad dog likes this.
  14. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

The Wainwrights (Rufus, Loudon, Martha, and his mother Kate McGarrigle, along with other family members).

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  15. llama

llama Forum Resident

16. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Recent tour by Michael Nesmith (and current version of First National Band) features two of his sons.

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Pop Stoneman died in 1968, two years prior to the release of this album. But until his death he did indeed perform with his children for many years.

Hee-Haw fans might recognize Ronnie Stoneman center left, who was often seen playing banjo on that show.

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Another country family was The Carlisles.

The group Bill Carlisle put together in 1950 — which had their biggest success with songs like "No Help Wanted" and "Too Old to Cut the Mustard" — did not actually feature any members of Bill's family. But by the 1960s his children had become a part of the group.

Bill Carlisle, known for jumping in the air in the course of performing, continued to appear on the Grand Ole Opry up until a week before his death at age 94 in 2003.

jparis51 and starduster like this.
  19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Up until his death early this year, bassist Jim Rodford (Argent, Kinks) played in the modern version of The Zombies with his son Steve on drums. Steve remains The Zombies' drummer.

20. Orangefield

Orangefield Forum Resident

The Fife Reivers.

21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

[​IMG]

And yet these guys were not related in any way at all, which gives the album title added resonance.

Believe it or not!

22. MaggieMac

MaggieMac Forum Resident

The late Bobby Vee's family has been very musical for years. Bobby's touring band for the last 25 to 30 years of his career was called The Vees and included his 3 sons Jeff, Tom, and Robby. Robby left the band to go out on his own a number of years ago, but they were also part of the recording of Bobby's last 4 self-produced albums. Bobby's grandson Bennett who is Tom's son played drums on his last album. Since Bobby died, Jeff, Tom and Bennett, and most of the rest of Bobby's band continue to perform as The Killer Vees, which also includes Matt Vee, Bobby's nephew who is the son of brother Bill, who was in the original 1959 band, The Shadows. Jeff and Tom also managed Bobby's career for many years and run the family recording studio founded by Bobby in 1989. This is information about them.
    Rockhouse Productions | Rockhouse Story
    This is Bobby and his sons and the rest of The Vees on a PBS show in 1999.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  23. Paul L

Paul L Forum Resident

Roger Taylor / Rufus Taylor
    UDO
    Cheap Trick
    Max Caverala - Soulfly

24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Dhani Harrison played with his dad on his later songs.

25. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Del McCoury in the Del McCoury Band with his sons Ronnie and Rob. Good ole high lonesome bluegrass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.