In defense of the CD-from a cultural view.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

When CD's came out it was a definitely a mixed bag for me. I genuinely liked them because I generally like technology and convenience. But they were unaffordable (compared to LP & Cassette) so I did not own very many. In addition, I thought that from a portability and longevity aspect they were the best format for a brief period of time.

2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

YouTube is that today. Instant and free access to sample.
    When i'm searching discogs or a artist discography I don't have to go buy a CD to hear it,
    i just click. The cultural impact of the CD pales compared to the access the digital
    file has given the world. Youth today can be the most musically educated generation
    in the history of the world.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Streamingservices and YouTube are the logical step. When it comes to new albums I generally use Spotify to enjoy them without the chosen few artists I always wants to own the new album. Archive-releases,boxed sets and similar stuff are a different thing. I'd like the books and other stuff that goes with it.But I don t buy close to the amount I used to because I have so much music already within different genres. Im not fallen for the collector/completist-disease. At least not in full. Guess my wife would say otherwise.:)

JeffMo likes this.
  4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've never jumped off the CD train.....

For the reasons you state right here ! :)

5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

True. Gotta be said. Loved it from the very first CD I ever bought.

6. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I think we are conditioned to always move onto the next "big thing". Corporations are really good at convincing us to dump our current stuff and get new. Even I wonder sometimes if it is time to get out of the "spinning disc business"...NAH! :targettiphat:

Jerquee, JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  7. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I love cds! :love:
    I am buying and listen to cds from the age of 12 and I will keep buying cds/
    I love the format ,the sound. there are so many great old titles on cds from the 50 60 70 80 90 at cheap prices, there are so many fantastic Ambient music titles from the last years on cds.
    I know that I am in minority in a world of downloads and streaming , but I don't mind , I am happy with my cds and I will keep enjoying them/

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Use it extensively also as a 'try before I buy' Comes in handy when checking what mixes are what when I'm on the hunt for a certain 12 inch single or CD maxi to purchase

Shak Cohen, Grant, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The greatest CD myth was that they are somehow indestructible. It's very easy to scratch a CD from handling; I wish I handled mine better over the years (and I was pretty careful, always placed them back in the case after playing), because by now a tiny scratch that does not affect playing renders a CD worth zilch, unless it's something very rare. So I'll never ever sell mine.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Totally agree. It's the same with vinyl. As long as people will still buy these audio formats it'll stay in the market for a long time.

Imagine70 likes this.
  11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Oh I think they would love to have everything on a subscription based service. Imagine the sheer amount of jobs lost if physical formats became extinct...
    However by that time i'll be in a home somewhere where the Hoffman mods can't find me :laugh:
    [​IMG]

12. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Streaming music and digital files do not have personality. They belong to an increasingly superficial world to which we walk without remedy. I can listen to thousands of albums in my car and I know what I'm talking about. It is listening to music like a hummingbird that now stings here and then there. You do not have a deep relationship with music. On the other hand, having things in the hand (sense of touch) is a human need, donĀ“t forget that. For that reason I really appreciate the physical support.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Many established and independent touring artists rely on merchandise revenue and have benefitted greatly from having CDs which can be priced reasonably, sold and autographed to the fan. In turn, the fan can keep the CD as a concert souvenir and either play or load it onto a device for future listening.

Country legend Mickey Gilley signing autographs for fans at his merch table

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I agree 100% I have a number of CD box sets that would have been cost prohibitive on vinyl. It really is about preserving the music.

eric777, Shak Cohen, Grant and 2 others like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The last sentence: I think not. Having access to a lot of music doesn't mean you actively seek it out. Actively being the key word. Streaming playlists and recommendations reinforces your preferences rather than broadening them. It's like social media in that aspect; a process of gradual elimination that reinforces your own world view and opinions. Of course there are exceptions.

16. The CD offered recordings with a new twist. You didn't have to flip it over to hear the whole album or wait through the blank passages for a tape to switch directions or tracks. You had instant replay or track advancement.
    The initial sound quality advantage had no surface noise, ticks or pops, plus when done correctly from original master tapes, very little if any hiss.
    So, the CD offered the best convenience and better sound.
    The CD's continued popularity is due to many like me who want a physical format and refuse to pay for a download of lesser quality mp3's. Maybe CD sales aren't what they used to be, especially for newly released music, but when I go into a music store, like my local Rasputin Music store, you wouldn't think that there was any decline in the CD market with racks full of 1,000's of CD's and people lined up at the counter buying them. If you realize that online businesses like Amazon is selling 1,000's of CD's daily, again you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with the future of the CD.
    In addition, the companies who manufacture CD's are still working at capacity as are the companies who also make vinyl records. For now, there is nothing wrong with any physical music format.

Martijn, Imagine70, eric777 and 4 others like this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I loved cd's 30 years ago, I love cd's today, and I will love cd's 30 years from now.

18. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Me too. Such as the ability to explore Blue Note Connoisseur and Rare Groove Series releases for cheap.

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. remover

remover Forum Resident

I am slowly but surely heading towards 15,000 cds, so I "guess" I am a cd collector.....:goodie:

Always have loved 'em, always will. There is room for all formats in my collection!

Kristofa, Imagine70, eric777 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I agree completely.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That is funny.

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'm a CD lifer. Record store day was an interesting experience being usually the only person in the stores I visited buying used CDs. The 40 CDs I bought probably cost the same as new 3-4 LPs, which would not satisfy my appetite for buying albums.

Kristofa, Imagine70, eric777 and 4 others like this.
  23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

The local climate for cds kind of reminds me of how vinyl was a decade ago. I usually just see middle aged and older folks browsing the cd aisles with very few people who appear to be under ~35 caring one bit. I've also noticed there are very few newer artists in the bins and even the big box stores seem to be mostly carrying $5 greatest hits compilations or classic rock staples. Conversely, the vinyl stock around here is quite varied with many new artists, both mainstream and more indie, and a pretty sweeping demographic of buyers covering a very wide age range.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

A friend's band just released their first CD a few weeks ago. They are simply a pub band that wanted to share their work with their local fans. While they briefly considered vinyl, cost-wise it was pretty much a no-brainer to select the CD format. And from what I understand, it is that way with tens of thousands of local acts everywhere. I agree that the format is not going to die for a long time.

25. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't understand any thinking behind seeing vinyl and cd's as an either/or choice. Both coexist in my home quite nicely.

Kristofa, Imagine70, eric777 and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.