In defense of the CD-from a cultural view.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what file format(s) they use?

I'd assume an album in both FLAC (for lossless - anyone who does lossless would know how to reformat to their preference) and MP3 (for universal compatibility).
    Both would easily fit on a single 1GB stock.

2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

The Grateful Dead certainly caught on pretty quickly to the advantages for the CD format.
    The exhaustive sets they have released are incredible.
    It is still their time for me.
    Buying more than ever before.

Imagine70 and dalem5467 like this.
  3. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

Again, taking the "sound" out of the equation...

Playing a cd is as simple as I am doing now...Sony Walkman with a pair of headphones at my desk...Playing a vinyl album requires a nice setup and time invested to clean the disc prior to playback...full immersion...both are awesome ways to appreciate music that hopefully makes us feel an emotion...and anyone with a cd, dvd or blu-ray player can listen to the disc...vinyl is definitely worth the effort and many times even more satisfying...

dalem5467 likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Correct, but that's why I specifically used the word "can" be. It is about access.

DTK likes this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I actually find streaming sites like Spotify a rather wonderful thing. Right now Im sitting on a Train with my Iphoe a pair of headphones and just pick the music that comes to my mind -Georgie Fame, Van Morrison,Stravinsky, Professor Longhair, Lois Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald. Just let it flow. But at home and in the car CD rules for me.
    I don t do vinyl anymore but I can certanely see the attraction with it but I got enough music to pick without it anyway. And at least in the case of lot s of my CD-s in great sound(for me)
    These are great times for enjoying music on all kinds of format

Gaslight and calgary669 like this.
  6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Unless you are listening to classical music with quiet passages. That would drive me nuts when the surface noise is louder than the music. And just because on loud passages you can't hear the surface noise, doesn't mean it's not there. Maybe that's the "warmness" everyone talks about.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    ggjjr likes this.
  7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The world may be increasingly superficial, but i don't think it has any relationship to the amount of music being stored on physical media.
    Recorded music is a relatively recent invention, with regard to the history of music. You're saying Mozart's society was superficial
    and had no "deep relationship" with music because they only had live music and no LP to hold in their hands?

Gaslight and Bemagnus like this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree with this and it's easy to forget---given how long now obsolete stores like Tower Records and Borders Books treated them like precious jewels (hiding them behind the counter or attaching all manner of cumbersome anti-theft devices to them) that CDs are cheap to produce. This is a major reason while they will never go away, and may even see a rebirth in popularity at some point.

I love compact discs.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm ready for the rebirth now.

I'm sick of seeing shocked faces when I tell people I've just bought a new CD.:)

10. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Yep. The advent of the CD format = Wretched Excess. Two thumbs up. Way up.

And if you have a hobby or two that you are passionate about, you need storage space. Physical and/or virtual. No getting around it.

11. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

As an afterthought, consider the potential QC issues ...

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"Wretched Excess" has been around far longer than CD's.

dalem5467 likes this.
  13. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Sad to see that so many people around here loathe CDs! Oh well, at least in my home, CDs will never die. I've spent nearly my whole life collecting them, (seeking out lots of the older 80's masterings.) Each one is unique in it's own way, and they are a part of who I am.

So regardless of it's popularity, or relevance, I'll support the CD format until the day I die.

Obsolete? My a**! ;)

14. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

According to this forum cd's are still relevant. There is a thread about the upcoming Beatles Sgt Peppers deluxe box containing predominantly cd's that is over 600+ pages long.

Imagine70 and Shak Cohen like this.
  15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

You can have my CD's...when you pry them from my cold dead hands!

16. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

On the other hand, it's good to see that there are actually quite a few CD lovers here such as myself! Lots of knowledge from the dawn of the CD era, and interesting insights. So a big thanks to the OP for starting this thread! :)

Front 242 Addict and Jeff Kent like this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Regarding storage space. I have acquired 4 CD cabinets that can hold approximately 2000 CDs when people have digitized their collections and put them on the curb. Both were within 100 meters from my house. One was across the street.

I'm lucky in that my house has a wide central hallway. That leaves one entire wall (floor to ceiling) available for shelving that will never be in the way.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  18. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That photo is only partly accurate - you need to depict mostly deaf guys arguing about loud remasters!

c-eling likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Lately my cd collection has been growing as I delve more into more avant jazz, ambient, left of center classical, etc. For whatever reason, a lot of the music is only issued on cd, and download. Vinyl, my preferred medium, is not the choice for many of these labels/artists. I prefer having the physical product, so cd it is. Luckily, a lot of the music is produced/mastered very well, so the sonic issues commonly associated with cds are typically not a problem. I'm glad I held onto my Sony XA5400ES player.

Jackson likes this.
  21. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I totally agree with this. So much great music- stuff that I had only read about, but was OOP on vinyl or impossible to find- was returned to the consumers thanks to CD. Especially as a blues and early rock and R&B fan, to now have this music available in any decent sized store, or by mail order, was a godsend for me !

Imagine70 likes this.
  22. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I have the same sentiments but replace "CD" with "digital file."

23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

You kin have mah cee-dee's when ya pry 'em from my cold dead fingers.

MY COLD! DEAD! FINGERS AH SAY! (shakes fist)

soundboy likes this.
  24. jjhunsecker

Oh, those record clubs were great- especially when you would have a sale like "buy one- get 3 free"...I would order a Motown 2 CD set for $20, and get 3 more for free- meaning I paid $5 each ! Ooo-wee ! Those were good times

25. jjhunsecker

It's just a shame that my hometown of New York City cannot sustain a large music store at this time. We have NOTHING now that compares to Tower and virgin and HMV and J&R Music World (my personal fave) , that all closed down in the last 10 years. But we DO have a lot of bank branches and Starbucks !

Sherman, Grant, marmil and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.