In Praise of Linda Darnell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sternodox, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Never actually seen it, which is why I didn’t mention it. The three I did mention, I own on BD, and are personal favourites.

Bitter Rice stars Silvana Mangano, who, again, I find more alluring than Doris Dowling. Those dark eyes!

2. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Darnell was a beautiful woman, no dispute there, but for me, Lizabeth Scott is THE babe of film noir! A shame the pic on the website stepeanut posted a link to doesn't have a very good photo of her. She was simply STUNNING in Strange Love Of Martha Ivers!

dougotte likes this.
  3. stepeanut

I recently watched Lizabeth Scott in Too Late for Tears, and she just doesn’t do it for me, as an actress or anything else. I find her rather wooden, and there’s something slightly androgynous about her. She reminds me of Nancy Kulp (Miss Jane in The Beverly Hillbillies). And yes, I’m aware that Scott was outed in the 1950s as a lesbian. My take on her was formed before I was aware of her personal life.

Glad you’re a fan, though. One of the great things about Film Noir is the deep pool of femme fatales and ingénues to draw from. Such a glamorous period in Hollywood history.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. groundharp

Lizabeth Scott is light years away from being a Nancy Kulp! And as far as I'm aware, Scott was only ever "rumored" to be a lesbian, it was never confirmed in any way. She was also said to be the mistress of Hal Wallis for many years. I haven't seen Too Late For Tears, so I can't comment on that film or how she comes across in it. Watch The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (what an unfortunate title... even terrible), she's a knockout, and I don't even like blondes usually. Yes, her voice is said to be "husky", but I don't find it to be "husky" in a masculine way (which would be a big turnoff). The "classic" film noir femme fatale that REALLY doesn't do it for me is Ann Savage.

5. stepeanut

Yeah, I’m familiar with the history, and I’ve seen The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. I didn’t say she was a lesbian, just that she was outed as one, which is true.

Like I say, she’s not my type in the least. Just a personal preference. YMMV, and clearly does.

6. groundharp

"...milage may vary"? That's fair. I guess this is your idea of androgynous:
    [​IMG]
    Lizabeth with Robert Mitchum in The Racket.

Anyone else here (besides stepeanut) having difficulty finding a beautiful woman in this photo?

7. stepeanut

I’m picking up a hint of sarcasm here.

Ever hear the saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Not-so-hot Scott:

[​IMG]

8. groundharp

Yeah, a bit of sarcasm... and yes, the photo you selected is not so hot, as is also the photo on the Beauties Lurking in The Shadows page you posted a link to, although of the two, the one just above is worse, as the pulled-back-hair isn't a good look, and the lighting isn't doing her any favors.
    Still, a far cry from Nancy Kulp, though!

9. stepeanut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kulp-able enough for you?

Sternodox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.