In praise of (nearly extinct) big curved-screen 70mm theatres

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Oct 13, 2010.

1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Apocalypse Now could be interesting. It is a blowup and I have seen it twice at the Dome. This could be Francis Fords personal copy as that is what I saw both times.
    The last time, the print was really showing its age.

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Bought tickets for 2001 and Apocalypse Now.

It's a shame, as I mentioned above, that they won't be showing any true three-strip Cinerama films this go-around. Nice that they threw in a couple newer 70mm films (Hateful 8, Interstellar, The Master).

mdm08033 likes this.
  3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Congratulations to the west coast contingent. I'm trying to schedule a road trip to see Rogue 1 at the Uptown in D.C. In December.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Albuquerque had the Fox Winrock, long demolished. I believe it opened with a reserved seating showing of Lawrence of Arabia. I remember seeing 2001, Battle Of The Bulge, and other movies of that era.

Over eight hundred seats designed to deliver comfort seldom enjoyed in any theatre, the finest in modern 70 millimeter projection equipment, a magnificent screen sixty-five feet wide, six-track stereophonic sound, an integral nursery with registered nurses in supervision…these are a few of the reasons you’ll enjoy the new Fox Winrock Theatre.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I'm going to the 2nd weekend in Seattle. Pink Floyd: The Wall, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, and Aliens. Stilling trying to decide about Patton.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Can't do much better than The Cinerama in Seattle.
    Inside tip, reserve Row H seats 13-19 or pretty close to that
    Center of the theater directly above the main aisle.

mdm08033 likes this.
  7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I don't think there's been a curved screen theater in Boston since the Cinerama theater here was razed about 1970. The even ran THIS IS CINERAMA on a FLAT SCREEN in 1973!

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Cinerama restoration experts David Strohmaier and Randy Gitsch are coming to our town for a Cinerama anniversary viewing this weekend. They'll be screening "This Is Cinerama", "Seven Wonders of the World" and "Cinerama Adventure", as well as "2001: A Space Odyssey" in Cinerama format.

One of the local theater owners here is a huge Cinerama fanboy going way back, and one of the new theaters they built here is modeled after the sadly gone Cooper Theater in Denver.

I got to interview Strohmaier over the phone for this story on the even, which is probably waaaaay too geeky for our audience but might find some nerd interest here. David's really cool, hope to meet him this weekend.
    The Spectacle Of Cinerama Comes To Casper This Weekend - Oil City News

dan c

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Very nice. Enjoy the show. I took my girlfriend and children to see the 70mm screening of 2001 at the Museum Of The Movng Image's annual See It Big series. They added so many 2001 screenings that none of them actually sold out. As much TV as my children watch at home on a 60" screen with 5.1 sound, they still get excited when I take them to the theater. 15 year old Matthew was excited to see the IMAX 70 presentation of Dunkirk and is pleased to know e finally have an AMC Prime Dolby Cinema screen in the Philadelphia area. I have my fingers crossed that Murder On The Orient Express is released on 70mm film.

Cheers, Michael

Dan C likes this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

[​IMG]

It's been heavily remodeled (with 15 more screens added), but the answer is: The Lakewood Center (16) in Lakewood, CA, operated by Pacific Theatres, parent company of Cinerama, Inc. Pics from Cinematour.com:
    Screen shot 2019-06-17 at 10.19.35 AM.jpg Screen shot 2019-06-17 at 10.20.05 AM.jpg
    @Vidiot -- I'm guessing those chandeliers look familiar from your Tampa days, no?

Vidiot and Dan C like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Vickie and I LOVED the McClurg Court theater! Deep curving screen, combined with deep curving rows meant that we could sit in the front row and still be a reasonable distance from the screen. Trying to remember the last film I saw there.

Sadly both Siskel and Ebert are gone.

Okay, that puts those guys whose wives are complaining about their Klipsch La Scala speakers in their place.

When theater the didn't get mentioned on this thread was Glenwood theater in the Kansas City suburb of Overland Park Kansas. I believe it was built as a Cinerama theater, and the biggest house of four was absolutely astounding. Saw 2001, A Passage to India and a little film called Star Wars there.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. MLutthans

large-1.png large-2.jpg large-3.jpg
    Man, I would have loved to have seen a show there! I did make it to the Glendale Arts Cinema (different beast; same sign frame and some carried-over memorabilia from the original Glendale) when it was at the mall. It was nice, but nothing like this, obviously. That theatre (the "arts" version) has since moved yet again, as I understand it.

(Photos lifted from Cinematreasures.org. No photo credit given there.)

14. Chris DeVoe

It was amazing! Three Altec A2 speakers behind the screen:

[​IMG]

Whenever Vickie and I went there, we sat in the very center of the front row, but of course since the rows were curved away from the screen, at that point we were basically equidistant from the entire screen.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    MLutthans and longdist01 like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

wow...those where the days of "Big screens!"

16. Chris DeVoe

Seeing 2001 on that screen was a trip!

Here was an outside view of the Glenwood:

[​IMG]

The big one was to the left, just behind the entrance, with three progressively smaller ones to the right.

17. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Dallas Texas had one called North Park & it was so great!!

Viewed Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, The Shining, Ghandi & Field Of Dreams along with my favorite, a 20th Anniversay Lawrence Of Arabia & 2001: A Space Oddysey @ North Park...

Last time I was in Dallas they converted it to Loews Multi- Plex 8...sad sad sad

longdist01 likes this.
  18. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Have never seen one, but i'd love to see a good movie in one of those theaters. if only i didn't live in a small town..................

longdist01 likes this.
  19. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

I saw "Apocalypse Now" "A Clockwork Orange" "2001" and some others at the Continental Theater in Tulsa back in the "daze"

dprokopy and longdist01 like this.
  20. steppednwhat

steppednwhat I hallucinate on Dr. Pepper

[​IMG] This is the Poncan Theater in a small oil town in northern Oklahoma, Ponca City. It's been restored to pretty much the way I remember it as a kid in the 60s. Burg of about 30,000 people at the time.

longdist01 and williamjoel like this.
  21. MLutthans

Reopened.

longdist01, JediJones and PH416156 like this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hopefully we'll be able to say this about the Cinerama Dome soon.

23. MLutthans

.....and the Cinerama in Seattle, although I hold out more hope for The Dome reopening. Seattle may just be finished. :shake:

longdist01 likes this.
  24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My man in Los Angeles is miffed at the loss of the Cinerama Dome. I will never forget seeing a 70mm blowup of Alien under the dome. Somebody will save it. I just hope they don’t remove the film projectors.

longdist01 and Derek Gee like this.
  25. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Cinerama in the UK: 3-strip cinema in Bradford, past and present

Great thread. I live near to the above cinema and have been lucky enough to see a 70mm presentation of 2001: A Space Odyssey on their Cinerama screen. 20 years ago when I was a junior doctor I used to stop en route home and catch a film. Wonderful place. As soon as COVID permits I will be back. Last film I saw there was the second Fantastic Beasts film on the IMAX screen.

First time I ever took my daughter to a cinema was to see Toy Story 3, in 3D, on the IMAX screen. Not a bad first cinema experience for a child.

longdist01 likes this.