In praise of Uncut's 'Ultimate Music Guide'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Mar 2, 2016.

1. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

they are great….got the Who, Stones and Bowie ones. Want to get The Byrds, and would be good if they reissued The Kinks. Not sure if they have done Beach boys but would like that too

ccbarr likes this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

There's tons of these on ebay, not too expensive, either.

ccbarr likes this.
  3. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Buy them on eBay!!!!

ccbarr likes this.
  4. jsayers

jay.dee likes this.
  5. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I have the prog one only! Good stuff too.

[​IMG]

Regginold31 and Scope J like this.
  6. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Have issues dedicated to Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Lou Reed, The Clash, The Small Faces / The Faces, Neil Young, Nick Cave, Paul McCartney, Kate Bush and Bob Dylan. Bizzarely the Dylan issue has the least pages of them all. If you Cut The Crap The Clash who had five albums during their relatively short career warrant 24 more pages.
    Premium priced re-pressings are slowly becoming available so those hard to find early editions should find their way to a newsagent near you at some point in the future.Those EBay prices in some cases are quite excessive.

Christopher B and ccbarr like this.
  7. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Not yet, but according to the current issue of the regular Uncut magazine, The Beach Boys ultimate guide is coming soon. That will be a must buy for me as well. :agree:

ccbarr, theMess and Lost In The Flood like this.
  8. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I have a pile of these from over the years and they are a mix of Uncut, Mojo and Q. No idea which artist is by which magazine/publisher. I bought the Springsteen one twice by mistake :sigh:

To my knowledge The Beach Boys have never been covered in this way but I look forward to that happening.

Regginold31 and ccbarr like this.
  9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I have to say that the Byrds issue really caught me by surprise. Didn't see
    that one coming. It is......superb. Everything you wanted to know about Gene
    Clark, Clarence White, et al. I'd love for Uncut to do an Allman Brothers ish
    but there is little hope of that.

10. wallpaperman

It is excellent, I've only touched the surface with it so far. I think if you have an interest in the band already and have some of their stuff (where I am at with the Byrds), it almost sucks you in to wanting everything, and quickly.

ccbarr likes this.
  11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I really liked the Lou Reed and Who issues. These UNCUT editions are much more interesting than the similar special magazines that Rolling Stone puts out. It seems like I've already read much of the Rolling Stone material and am just bored.

Christopher B, ccbarr and jsayers like this.
  12. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

All the classic rock nuts in this forum should be aware of Mojo and Uncut. Just picked up the Byrds Uncut issue. Fantastic coverage, reviews of every side project of most of the members of the band, great vintage pics, a lot of care is put into those mags and they crush a lot of the American ones.

ccbarr and theMess like this.
  13. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Wow, I have never seen these, but they look fantastic! I checked Amazon and some they don't have and the ones they do are all around 30 dollars. Looks like ebay would be a better place to look. What would be a good issue to start with? Obviously McCartney would be cool but I don't want to buy it and read what you can find on wikipedia. Would the McCartney issue be a good start (if I can find it) or is there any other stand out issues on a different artist. And do you get these if you subscribe to the magazine, or do you have to pick them up at Barnes & Noble or someplace similar?

Sorry for all the questions, but these look very cool, from a quick search every artist that they have covered I enjoy, so these could be a fun read.

Yovra likes this.
  14. jsayers

I looked at the McCartney one in B&N and didn't think it was that good - put it back and saved myself $15 or whatever. My B&N gets all of these in - the good ones go fast and the others move slow and get sent back.

IMHO - the ones that simply review the albums <and major singles sometimes> don't have that much value to me. You can get more info yourself on line. There was one last year on Elvis Costello and I was psyched until I flipped through it - other than a few cool photos it was useless to me. Plus it had a horrible geeky pic of him circa MAIT on the cover - no sale! It's the ones with past interviews, clippings and music magazine articles with rare photos that I like. There was a recent <well, 2013> one on Joy Division that was excellent. Wish I'd have bought more than 1 copy!

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Joy-Div...d=1456984227&sr=1-2&keywords=joy+division+nme

ccbarr likes this.
  15. WilliamWes

No, no, really, I have plenty of Macca stuff, this is prime time. Every album, every song is rated. All the old interviews from different periods of his career, plus old critical analysis that is difficult to find-especially in the U.S. It's a fantastic issue with plenty of rare pics. Find on EBay for $20-worth it all the way. Same with Lennon's. Wish they have a Harrison issue in the near future.

anthontherun, theMess and ccbarr like this.
  16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I've got them all so far.

Would love to see one for Tom Petty.

Is the Beach Boys confirmed to be the next one? Sweet!

17. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

I have about 90% of these. Of course I only pick up the artists that intrest me. Would love to see issues on ELO and Jethro Tull.

Christopher B likes this.
  18. wallpaperman

Yeah, it was mentioned in the April monthly edition of Unuct.

19. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I'd love a Stevie Wonder issue

siveld and oh1 like this.
  20. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, glad to know B&N stocks them, I have one about 50 miles away but I'll be up that way next week, I'll be stopping in B&N for sure to check out what issues they have. That Joy Divison one does look awesome, I'm gonna keep my eye out for when the Beach Boy issue is released, I want to snag that one for sure.

That's great info on the Macca issue, love the fact that not only is every album, but song rated and discussed. But the interviews and old reviews sound just as enticing. I checked ebay and found a copy for $20.99 new, I'm going to wait until next week when I go to B&N, hopefully they might have a copy in stock. Otherwise I'll be picking up a copy from ebay. I'm a huge fan of all those various best albums of all time, best artists, best guitarists and so on magazines. I also have a few books like these for my Kindle Paperwhite, that talk about each artists albums and songs. I have ones one the Stones, Dylan, Springsteen and Tom Petty, and I know I'm forgetting some others.

But these guides look like they are put together with love, I'm going to get the Beach Boy issue right away. I can't believe I had never heard of these...

21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Has anyone compared the 'remastered' reissued editions of for Bowie and Floyd with the originals?

I looked at both in store, but couldn't see much different to persuade me to buy them again.

Regginold31 likes this.
  22. jsayers

I stand corrected on the McCartney issue - this sounds good. There hasn't been 2 on him, have there?

23. WilliamWes

No nothing close to this depth and wealth of info from the last 45 years. There are plenty he is on the cover of, but the one mentioned earlier is the only one that is a full Mac issue with the actual vintage interviews and album reviews. (Along with contemporary reviews of every song, album etc.)

jsayers likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the Beach Boys Uncut magazine.
    Over 100 pages. Not bad.
    But, The Byrds one looked a tad better.
    Wish I got The Kinks one(Got to look out for that Jon Savage book ).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I got the Bowie one and love it... totally plan to go online and get the U2, Beatles, Kate and Mac ones

ccbarr likes this.