In praise of Uncut's 'Ultimate Music Guide'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Mar 2, 2016.

1. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

.. and complain about Tom Waits getting one:hide:

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Steely Dan deserves one more than Tom Waits, for serious.

3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Steely Dan sounds a decent shout. Tom Waits was a bit of a curious one but I think the editor mentioned in a post that it had sold well.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's he gonna say, sold 100 copies.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They mean nothing in the UK

6. wallpaperman

I'm happy to take him at his word, you be as cynical as you like....

kevywevy and Man at C&A like this.
  7. wallpaperman

That's not true at all, they played in the UK on a number of occasions. They feature fairly regularly in the likes of Uncut and Mojo which is obviously the UMG's target audience.

richierichie likes this.
  8. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Black Sabbath!!

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha.... so The Go Betweens are "somewhat obscure"? I guess Robert would like that:cheers:

10. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I don't think the Go Betweens would be such a stretch. I'd buy it.

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. Cazale

Cazale Forum Resident

Next up is Prince according to John Mulvey on Twitter!

Imagine70 and wallpaperman like this.
  12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That's what I was thinking. One of their biggest live albums was recorded in Europe. And Elvis Costello is a huge fan ! LOL

13. jjhunsecker

That I could see. They now have the "cred" that most other metal bands lack, that would make them an appealing subject for the guide

Imagine70 and Man at C&A like this.
  14. jjhunsecker

I was hoping as much, especially when he "liked" my suggestion on this thread a few weeks back . Yay !!!

wallpaperman likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Ozzy interviews are always a good read too.

kevywevy and Imagine70 like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Nice but no surprise. When the guy from Uncut posted a while back to say that they had found a way to do a magazine on their next artist I guessed it would be prince. Very few interviews but plenty of albums to review. Maybe they will include live reviews as well?
    Still gutted that it isn't Marc Bolan & T.Rex as this month is 40 years since his death and what would have been his 70th birthday.
    Malakeers ;)

Imagine70 and Man at C&A like this.
  17. wallpaperman

Yeah it was strongly hinted a little while back wasn't it, but great to get the confirmation.

The front cover looks amazing and as it usually says on the cover of these issues 'classic interviews unseen for decades'. So, I'm taking it that there are at least 2 interviews. :winkgrin:

This is a day of release buy for me.

18. wallpaperman

Way before my time, but I don't the T Rex had any sustained success in the States, is that fair to say?

The usual dilemma for the publisher of UMG will be to try and ensure healthy sales in the US. Certainly whenever I have been in Barnes and Noble on trips over there Uncut/UMG is almost always on sale, so a band that had only limited success is unlikely to generate big sales, especially among the impulse buyer who might browse the racks and take a chance if they see a familiar band or singer on the cover.

19. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

20. jjhunsecker

T-rex wasn't as big in America as I assume they were in the UK...outside of "Bang a Gong", and now "20th Century Boy" (which was used in a commercial and is the theme to cable show "Lip Synch Battle"), the average American would be hard pressed to identify most T-Rex songs .

This is the magazine business , so you can see where the UMG publishers are heading. These are fairly expensive, and well put together publications, so you have to put out something that there's an audience for. You can kind of see where they go : Obvious Legends (Beatles, Stones, Zep, Clapton, Dylan, Marley, Hendrix, Clash, U2, Pink Floyd, for example) and those with enormous critical acclaim and a substantial following (Lou Reed, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Paul Weller, Radiohead, Kate Bush, Leonard Cohen come to mind). I'm still surprised that Tom Waits got one- the editor said it did well for them. I still suspect that even going ahead with it was an "indulgence" , the same way John Ford would be given the go ahead to do a personal project like "The Quiet Man" after doing several hit Western films.

21. jjhunsecker

There were several artists mentioned here that I thought were more likely to get something like this from Classic Rock magazine then from UMG- such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and Deep Purple. Or Classic Rock's sister publication Prog , doing ones on Tull or Yes or the Moody Blues or King Crimson. Though I can see UMG doing Sabbath or Metallica

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes you are both right of course. For some reason I see these magazines/specials as mostly for UK buyers/fans with a few shipped over to other places like New York.
    However I pass through airports a couple of times a month and always see them for sale so there is obviously an international market for them.
    I don't want to sound rude but that still doesn't explain the Polly Harvey issue...

23. Jimbo Jobson

Jimbo Jobson Forum Resident

A bit dissapointed with this choice to be honest. I would much rather see someone a little less poppy, ideally Sabbath or Maiden. Suppose this will be a hot seller though so fair play to John and the team.

24. Cazale

Cazale Forum Resident

The Prince issue is on sale in the UK this Thursday.

wallpaperman likes this.
  25. jjhunsecker

I guess you could see her as the female equivilant to Tom Waits ....