In praise of Uncut's 'Ultimate Music Guide'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Paul Wad

Paul Wad Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a Joy Division/New Order one. Really surprised that they haven't done this one yet. I'm guessing we're more likely to get one of those genre guides on Hip Hop, rather than a dedicated Beastie Boys, NWA/solo or Wu Tang Clan/solo one. But Hip Hop is too big to be covered in a magazine the size of the Punk or Glam ones, which had much smaller scope to choose from.

Izozeles and Allchurch like this.
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm not sure the Moody Blues did enough interviews back in the day to help fill up an issue , but they've had enough albums and solo albuns to review so I would enjoy an issue devoted to them .

Scope J and richarm like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Obviously this is never going to happen but right now I would enjoy something totally pointless and completely out of step with 2018 like.... a Supertramp issue! :righton:

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Joy Division/New Order is a good call. Have they done one on The Cure? Thinking of that era, both need one.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Cure were done a long time ago. A deluxe reprint must be imminent.

Almost Simon likes this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

They just put one out on Little Richard.

[​IMG]

I'd love to an issue like this on Ricky Nelson or The Everly Brothers.

Darryl

PJayBe, LarsO and rednax like this.
  7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

They already did one on Cliff Richard: Vintage Rock Presents Cliff Richard is on sale now! - Vintage Rock

That only leaves Keith to complete the Richard family! :)

I assume every member of this Forum has these issues:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

8. Neonbeam

The McCartney issue is Stella stellar. Even for a non-fan there's so much interesting stuff here. One big plus is that Macca regularly gave loooong interviews so you get a really nice overview. Talking about the first edition but the "remaster" can't be that different! :righton:

9. Cazale

Cazale Forum Resident

Deep Purple are up next.

Scope J, Man at C&A and Almost Simon like this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Forgot to report that Barnes & Noble did their own exclusive version of this title with an alternate cover image:

[​IMG]

Of course I bought both! :)

oxegen and Almost Simon like this.
  11. Almost Simon

A friend shared the recent Purple Classic Rock magazine where they featured all the various offshoot groups - hoping that means we'll get a good view of Rainbow, Whitesnake et al in this one. Quite a few albums I'd be tempted to get amongst that family tree.

12. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Does this issue have all of Dylan's solo discography in addition to all The Band's stuff?

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Pity the Band issue didn't give more space and credence to those three latter day Band albums instead of re-hashing the Dylan angle.

DaveJ likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

No

15. Cazale

Cazale Forum Resident

From the uncut website.

The latest subject of Uncut’s ongoing ULTIMATE MUSIC GUIDE series is DEEP PURPLE. In Rock? They’ve been in it 50 years! As the band finish what may be their last substantial tour, we celebrate their achievements with new writing on each of their albums, and a series of spirited archive features, many unseen since original publication. Includes: Rainbow, reviewed! The most Purple bits of Whitesnake! A new introduction by IAN PAICE! And…The Deep Purple family Venn diagram!

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

No, only the Dylan albums which featured The Band. The issue is really about The Band -- the title is misleading.

There is coverage of the post Robbie Robertson albums, solo albums, and live and compilation albums (which includes a few more Dylan titles, of course).

[Edit] - I should add, this all makes the B&N cover (a solo shot of Dylan) all the more ridiculous. I understand why they did it, but it is a giant con.

17. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Long interviews but the same old stories....

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They certainly have their place and do entertain and enlighten.
    I buy the odd one but i am far more excited to seek out and spend $$ on real time magazine's and periodicals from the mid 60's to early 80's.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's what I was expecting, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the McCartney one. Mainly because it didn't cover the too often repeated Beatles anecdotes.

Neonbeam and bob60 like this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

[​IMG]

A bit of a slap in the face...

“The Full Story From Shades to Infinity”

Unfortunately, the album is called Infinite.

I think Uncut’s quality has been slipping a bit over the last year or two.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Scope J and Ern like this.
  21. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Great cover!

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Should have made a few new ones up then: "The complete alternate Paul McCartney" :biglaugh:

bob60 likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

XTC issue is much needed!

Thorpy, jpmosu and jon9091 like this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Plus ABC & Do Re Mi.

25. Almost Simon

Had a flick through it in Sainsbury's. Personally thought it a little lightweight. Its great on Purple, no complaints there but not so much on Rainbow, a couple of pages discussing the albums, an interview and Whitesnake barely half a page. Possibly feel for 120 odd pages and £8.99 it should be thicker and be more of a Purple "family" type magazine reviewing all albums. A shame for the price, but for anyone wanting just Purple then it does what you would expect.

I struggle to get past the price tag really. A few quid cheaper and then I wouldnt complain but for £9, more than most books, you kind of expect more.

DaveJ likes this.