IN ROCK Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylSoul, Jan 22, 2019.

1. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Always a favorite listen one of my high school party lp's. Is this an official release is there a British parallel release and if so what label would it be on?Every song is strong on this album. Many other forum members this?

2. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Purple's best studio album, IMO. It was a bigger hit in the UK than it was in the States.

First released in June of 1970 on Harvest in the UK.

Stas, Leroyd, Zoot Marimba and 6 others like this.
  3. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Yes, it's a great album, that really sets the yard-stick for all that they became there-after...

There have been a number of re-issues, but the European ones will have the magnificent maxed-out-crazy introduction into the opening track, "Speed King", that IMO, sets the tempo for the whole album there-after...

I have no idea why US-of-A WB pressings omit this intro...

I'm pretty sure that it was a HEC enterprises release ( Hire, Edwards & Colletta ) through EMI, & then their distributors & sub-labels around the world.

I've heard great reviews of the Roger Glover produced / mixed 25th-anniversary edition. I'd say this is the one to grab, with extended tunes & out-takes included.

Ciao,

Gregster

warewolf95, Carlox and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gregster would you say the olive label US Warner Bros lp sounds muffled in comparison to the British pressing? Thanks.

LitHum05 likes this.
  5. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

In Rock literally created metal along with Black Sabbath's Paranoid.
    Iron Maiden would not exist without Hard Lovin' Man.
    For me the first Japan CD pressing 32XD-898 is the definitive digital version. It's a real shame Into The Fire wasn't recorded better.

warewolf95, Xabby and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yep, I rate it highly, too. I really like the pre-WB albums, but IMO, while maybe not being as adventurous or textured, . . . in Rock was more consistent.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. On CD, look for the original UK EMI.

Eddie Van Halen also appreciates it.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Roger Glover only remixed a couple of tracks (as bonuses) on this one, unlike on some later albums where they remixed the whole thing. He remixed "Speed King" and "Flight Of The Rat" from the album, plus the outatke "Cry Free" (which meant the original mix of that one was not released in the remastering campaign) and there was also a separete "Black Night" single which has a remix of that.

9. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Could this be the best hard rock album of all time.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nope.... the long track Flight of the Rat is a filler.

herky10 likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Great little LP, but does not come close to Machine Head.

texron, Blastproof, johnny q and 6 others like this.
  12. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

In Rock is a classic beast, though I might like Machine Head a bit more. Speed King is awesome, as well as the single Black Night. And of course Child in Time ...

13. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Just been remastered too

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I have the import CD, CDP 7 46239 2 version. One of the few times I thought an Audio Fidelity version got bested.

Holy Diver, Xabby and tkl7 like this.
  15. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

Without a doubt, my fave Deep Purple album. I've mentioned before on a thread, the 3 songs that make up side 1, is one of hard rock's best album sides, imo. Great, great stuff!

16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

A great and fantastic album but Fireball is my favorite DP album.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Good LP but Machine head is miles better

johnny q and Rufus rag like this.
  18. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

G'day mate,

I can't say that I've heard that version, so I can't comment I'm sorry....I do have the original pressing UK / Europe record, plus the European ( Italian ) release on CD, & I also grabbed the WB US-of-A mini-LP boxed set of the first 10-albums starting from MK-II, including MIJ & MIE...

The original recording was carried out at a number of different recording studios, the the sound quality of each track is noticeably different if you listen hard enough.

The Italian CD I have was from the late 1980's, & came in a boxed-set of the MK-II on-wards studio albums, & sounds like a direct master-tape transfer onto CD, with no enhancements to be noticed.

The WB pressing from 2015(?) sounds warmer, & enhanced to a nice degree, that's very easy-on-the-ears to listen to, but it's missing that awsesome introduction to Speed King.

I have heard the 25th anniversary edition, & was pleasantly surprised at the awesome results heard.

Lots of choices to be made !!! And I'm sure other members here will chime in on other alternative sources...

Since I've had the "original pressing" for so long, its sound etc is ingrained in my mind, & anything other than that, can kind-of sound false, or unusual, which is why I haven't bothered picking up the newer editions...How many do I need ?...

And with every successive record from the 1970's that they made, each album has a subtle but noticeable improvement in sound quality IMO.

I'd say that I spin the record maybe 3-4 times a year, & I'm usually playing through all the MK-II albums in that sitting. It's sadly only a couple of hours of music to listen through !

All the best,

Gregster

19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

YES.

Slice and Gregster like this.
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Hunt for the Audio Fidelity version.

[​IMG]

21. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Favorite Purple album. Every tune is a winner.

Xabby, danielbravo and Gregster like this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I'm glad I bought it upon release.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Original Harvest sounds great but I have a really nice sounding 80s Fame copy too. The artisan stamped green label US version is ok but the edit pushes it down the list.

Gregster and Joti Cover like this.
  24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have the original gatefold copy and it's the only D.P record I own these days, it's their best album for me at least.

Speed king alone makes it great

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Sweet Child In Time.....ahhhh.

belardd and S. P. Honeybunch like this.