In Seattle for a day - best record stores?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mogambotek, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Hit the SoDo Silver Platters, and wow! Could have easily blown 10x what I had in my pocket. Found a bunch of titles that had been on my wish list for some time, and had to pass up plenty of others. Very cool place, helpful staff, great selection and very fair prices. I'm already looking forward to my next visit. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

tyler928 and nancybrooke like this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

glad you liked it! that is my go to shop. i don't know if you saw it or not, but they have a few milk crates near the register with rarer, pricier titles. i've found some gems up there.

3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yes I did. Could have spent a few hundred more out of those bins alone - saw a DCC Court and Spark and a handful of MFSL 24k CDs from the 90's. This will be a regular stop for me on all future Seattle trips.

4. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I'm in Seattle this weekend, and will hit Silver Platters based on this thread... Thanks... Any updates, or other must do's?

We are heading to the EMP as well...

5. Jive Time in Fremont would be a good stop this weekend and the neighborhood will be filled even more than usual with free spirits with the Fremont Fair going on, including the Solstice Parade tomorrow at 3. :eek:

Jive Time Records – Seattle (Fremont)
    3506 Fremont Ave N Seattle, WA 98103
    (206) 632-5483
    http://jivetimerecords.com/
    http://jivetimerecords.com/coupons/

6. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

Oh boy is that going to be crowded. For the spectacle of the parade, good suggestion. But I wouldn't plan on being able to spend much quality time in front of the record bins...more than a handful of people in that store and I find it a frustrating experience.

SpeakerLabFan likes this.
  7. In Ballard Sonic Boom. But cross the street and see the most organized used store ever: Bop Street . Check out the side walls of library storage The owner is eccentric but lots of cool old vinyl. Prices High but if you grab a few you can make an offer maybe 15-20% off or more.

8. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

This thread has been great so I decided to bump - in a couple weeks I have a week off from work. I'm going on a CD shopping spree around the area and looking for suggestions. As stated I have been to Silver Platters (SoDo) and really enjoy it. Honestly haven't been anywhere else besides Sonic Boom (I live up north by the border). I'm looking for big selections of used CDs.

Planning to hit the following on my way south:
    First of all, the El Rey Taco Truck in Tulalip.... this is a MUST, although they don't have any CDs.
    Bargain CD’s & Records – Everett (it's on the way)
    Silver Platters – Bellevue and/or Northgate
    Everyday Music

I might have time for one more stop, so what else do you think I'm missing? Thanks guys!

9. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Another recommendation (as I did at the beginning of this thread) for Neptune Music. Huge selection of used CDs, if you don't mind the cramped space and general clutter. Also, with all the Link construction there, parking is a bit harder to find these days.
    Either Silver Platters will serve you well. My general impression is that the Bellevue store might have a larger CD selection than Northgate. (SoDo is definitely bigger than both.)

hotsoup likes this.
  10. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Yes, I was just going to mention Neptune! The CDs are meticulously organized (even if at first glance everything looks quite chaotic), and the staff is happy to help you find something. They'll also leave you alone to browse, and go back to their filing - they are *always* filing or cataloging - if you prefer.

The store is in the basement of the Neptune theater, down the steps (entrance on Brooklyn). Don't be afraid! It's usually not hard to find a street (pay) parking space on Brooklyn north of 45th (there's a stretch just south of the store that's blocked off for the construction as mentioned previously), except on Sundays when parking is free. Also, parking is free on the UW campus a few blocks east on Saturdays after 12 pm and all day Sunday.

hotsoup likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.