In The New Sundazed Catalog....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ZIPGUN99, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member Thread Starter

Very nice catalog, a lot of new obscure garage and psychedelic stuff, and cool 60's soul from the Bell group of labels.

Some of the not obscure stuff:
    On Vinyl:
    Vanilla Fudge: 1st Album in mono
    Aretha Franklin: Aretha Arrives!
    Carla Thomas: The Queen Alone & Carla
    The Yardbirds: Their Own Sound '63-'66
    The Yardbirds: Live! Blueswailing July '64
    Link Wray: The Swan Singles Collection
    Spirit: Clear
    Lord Sutch & Heavy Friends
    Martin & Neil: Tear Down The Walls
    Bob Dylan 1st Album
    Johnny Cash: Ring Of Fire, Blood Sweat & Tears, 2 Volumes of Live Town Hall Party

Some of the new CDs:
    Merrill Fankhauser: Return To Mu (with Nicky Hopkins, John Cippolina, Jay Ferguson & Ed Cassidy)
    Jimmy Bryant 3 CD Comp.
    Lonnie Mack's 3 Elektra Albums
    Youngblood's Warner Bros Catalog
    A Revised 5 Americans Comp.
    The Blues Image: Open
    3 Volumes of Lost Legends of Surf Guitar

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Cash's Blood Sweat & Tears is so damn good on the Sundazed vinyl. Everybody should have a copy of this LP, really - I can't give it enough praise. I'd love to hear the Live Town Hall Party LPs.

3. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

I don't know if Sundazed is the most consistant company in regards to sonics but damn they do put out the coolest records.

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Good point - they definitely weren't consistent for a long while, but is it me, or are they more consistent with their latest product? It seems they're nailing more of these reissues than in the past.

Blonde On Blonde is getting HUGE play at my house these days. Even my 2 year old son asks for it. :D

5. ZIPGUN99

Too bad no new singles, though. That's really what I live for!

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Can't wait for the Yardirds and the Youngbloods, the Vanilla Fudge and Aretha Franklin will probably make it to my house too. Oh, and the first Dylan of course!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm still waiting for the announced "Smoke" Cee Dee mentioned 2 years ago! Wishful thinking now:(

What happened Tim?

They have a great catalog and I own most of it:thumbsup::)

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'd say their earliest days were the most consistent - garage bands, 60's poppers ala The Knickerbockers and RAB ruled the roost. Gotta say, seems like they've now evolved into what Rhino was doing before they hooked up with the Warner axis...

I'm sure curious about that Yardbirds set of classic era hits from the master tape find (Bob I. replied to an email from me that he found them in NYC, but didn't elaborate when I asked what songs will be among the upgrade in tape tunes)...

9. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I bought it recently, and was just listening to it last night. Wonderful! Really quiet pressing and damn fine music.

10. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Their Millennium three-disc box from a while back was a bit disappointing, but other than that they've been fairly consistent as of late.

11. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I wish they would have better QC on their LP's. Every Sundazed LP I've bought has been warped, I've kept most but the last 2 were so bad I had to return them for good because the 2nd attempts weren't any better. Too bad, because I like a lot of what they offer but it's a PITA returning warped records.:sigh:

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Do you buy them from Sundazed?

I usually pick them up at my local shop, and also Red Trumpet. Not a bad one yet (knock on wood).

13. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

indy, thanks for this info!

mud-:D

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I made a CD-R from my original Atco Vanilla Fudge mono LP a few months ago. I could swear it's only a fold-down of the stereo though. So I'm surprised to see the mono version being reissued.

15. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

At last, Blues Image - Open. Every vinyl source I've tried to put to CDR has been so noisy.

16. ZIPGUN99

Ya think so? I have a needledrop of the promo mono, I like it a lot. I probably wouldn't know a fold-down if it bit me in the ass, though.:)

17. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I've never had a warp record yet from Sundazed or their garage band label Beat Records. I must be lucky, I guess.

18. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I picked up the mono 'Bob Dylan' yesterday at my local record store. When I opened it up I discovered it was badly warped - the disc was actually concave, like a mini radio telescope (only a slight exaggeration).

Anyway, I took it back and they had 2 other copies. One of them was also warped, but the other was fine. I think that Sundazed's QC leaves a little to be desired, but in the end the quality of their releases (sound and selection-wise) is worth the effort. Buy them locally if you can, it makes exchanges much easier.

- joe s

btw, it's a great sounding record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.