Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: In the Wee Small Hours (1955)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davidmk5, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Comments from moderator MLutthans, followed by Davidmk5's post: [PLEASE NOTE: This thread is a "split" from a (formerly) very lengthy thread that attempted to cover all three 2009 Capitol / Sinatra vinyl reissues: In the Wee Small Hours, Come Fly with Me, and Come Dance with Me, and which (d)evolved into a morass of discussion on all three albums in general, not necessarily dealing with the 2009 issues.

Post #64 (by MLutthans -- me) from that thread is reprinted below, after which time, discussion that has to do specifically and primarily with the Capitol issue has been left in the old thread. Any comparative discussion regarding different pressings/issues of this title has been moved to this current thread.

Here is that post #64:

I've been a "subscriber" to the idea that the MFSL monos are messed up (which may be the case) and that the grey labels are the only way to go, and that may all be true. However, having done some careful, critical listening today, I think I have some new views on IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS.

In no particular order:

1. At least on the title track, I'm not sure that the MFSL used wrong tapes. (2018 Update: That MFSL LP is riddled with problems.)
    2. The Capitol mono LP reissue of the late-70s/early-80s, although abridged, has nice sound, and does not sound like it's from re-dubbed, reverbed tapes.
    3. That Disky release from Europe? Don't waste your time.
    4. The 1973 British release has to be a technical error. (2018 UPDATE: On some pressings.)
    5. Larry Walsh did a GREAT job on the mastering of WSH tracks in the 3-disc "The Capitol Years" set.

But those are my ideas. I'd love to hear yours!

I've posted a page that has comparisons of assorted versions. You can listen at:

[MOD: Dead link removed. See here instead: In the wee small hours - 1955

Matt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DavidMKV's post:

PS - My 1991 Walsh CD is not in its case, so I did not include it. Probably at work or something. I'd love to post samples from that and from the Norberg CD. If anybody could send those along, I'll be happy to add them to the samples above, and I would, of course, give you a credit on the page.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to you & "MLutthans" for this info , it's very helpfull ....... yeh 2 months back i boughtwo of those "re-issues" at my local store used & realised whne i got them home they were missing tracks i wanted ! one was the "This is sinatra vol. 2" not only was i bummed at the tracks missing but when playing them they sounded really "flat" to me , so i took them back & got something else .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2018
  2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, these samplings you post are really outstanding to hear and compare Matt and what a difference some of them...I thought I liked that Disky cd until hearing it among all the other samples...i prefer the green label to the Disky...:eek:

I cannot even believe the British pressing...what a catastrophe that. I'm digging the Capitol 3cd version and my humble needledrop the most...

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Those examples are awesome , really cool to hear what a big difference there is the.
    "1973 British Capitol reissue with alternate cover " & "The European “Disky” issue" are just awfull ....

I love the Original 1955 USA pressing , that sounds really nice & even the cd version you have up sounds really good I have an lp copy made from an original lp someone put on a cd that's decent & then a copy that came in a Borders boxed set which is not too bad either .

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

These have been sent, Matt, but I'm not sure I'd like getting credit for the Norberg. ;)

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Check back on this page late tonight. I'll have some additional samples added to the sample page.

Also, that 1973 issue -- all I can figure is that it wasn't supposed to be released that way. It's not a transfer issue as far as the current sample goes. That's a straight transfer from my turntable to your headphones. That's REALLY how awful that sounds! It used to belong to Ian Bradley, but when I told him I would like a copy just to have for the artwork, he happily shipped it to me from England just to be rid of it. Now I understand why.

Matt

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

For those interested in the "Mastered By Capitol" re-issues from the late 1970s and early '80s:

In The Wee Small Hours: omits four tracks, "Can't We Be Friends", "When Your Lover Has Gone", "It Never Entered My Mind" and "I'll Never Be the same". Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

Songs For Swingin' Lovers: omits three recordings, "Pennies From Heaven", "Love Is Here To Stay" and "Makin' Whoopee" and re-arranges the track list on both sides.

A Swingin' Affair: omits three recordings, "Night and day", "I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plans" and "I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good". The track list is altered on both sides.

The Sinatra Christmas Album (originally entitled "A Jolly christmas From Frank Sinatra"): retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order. Note the change in title.

Come Fly With Me: retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order.

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely: omits two recordings from the original release, "It's A Lonesome Old Town" and "Spring Is Here". Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

Come Fly With Me: retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order.

Look To Your Heart: omits two recordings from the poriginal release, "Same Old Saturday Night" and "Fairy Tale". Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

No One Cares: retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order.

Nice 'n' Easy: retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order.

All the Way: Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

Come Swing With Me: omits two recordings from the original release, "Almost Like Being In Love" and "Paper Doll". Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

Sinatra's Swingin' Session: Other than the omissions, the track list is the same as the original album.

Point of No Return: omits one track from the original release, "It's A Blue World". Other than the omission, the track list is the same as the original album.

Sinatra Sings ... of love and things: omits two tracks, "Mr. Success" and "I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues". "Chicago", the last track on Side 1 of the original album, is moved to the third track on Side 2.

Pal Joey: retains all of the original tracks and the original track list order.

If anyone is interested in collecting a nice analogue vinyl "best of" Sinatra's Capitol recordings, may I suggest three compilations, all a part of the late 1970s early '80s "Mastered By Capitol" re-issue programme: "All Time Classics", "Timeless" and "Classic Performances". All three are double albums with 16 tracks each - so only four tracks on each side. None of the tracks are duplicated on the compilations. The mastering and vinyl quality is good. Although the covers have a deceptively budget look, together they make a great 48 track collection.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

All the songs on this album did not get treated in the same way when the tampered dubs were made. Why, I don't know...

I'll send the Norberg and Walsh files.

BTW - The '73 British LP sample you have up sounds like a Duophonic source folded down to mono.

8. MLutthans

My "Mastered By Capitol" re-issue (green label, actual mono) omits 6 tracks.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

My mistake. Add "I Get Along Without You Very Well" and "Ill Wind" to the omissions listed above for a total of six.

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd love to see these all done really right, once and for all...

11. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Amen. A Frank Sinatra Mono Box…

vonwegen and belardd like this.
  12. MLutthans

With the original stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul as bonus tracks, of course! (It's all EMI, right?)

Matt

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Me too, and youve been a fan a lot longer than I have.

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

One of the most beautiful and important albums ever made, and it hasn't been available for probably the past 40 years. Not really. Think about that.

Evan likes this.
  15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve, please master these titles. Very important.................

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  16. MLutthans

I don't think he likes 50's vocal pop from Capitol. ;)

17. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

wow, amazing to think that could be possible...it really does sound like $hit

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

kind of reminds me of that last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the box containing the "holy grail" gets placed in with a million other boxes in the giant wharehouse.

ok now im depressed.

Sorry to the guys who are enjoying the new reissue. ultimately it is about the music. However, the authenticity and realism of Franks voice brings this album to all its glory when his voice is right there with you and the intimacy of the instruments shine through properly and without uneeded mastering devices. As someone once said "the sound is part of the music" Never more true than with Frank Sinatra and this album. It really is a piece of art that has had elmers glue thrown at it far too long.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  19. MLutthans

I've added 5 more samples from IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS. The new ones are:

1. Another 1955 pressing
    2. Yet another 1955 pressing
    3. The 1987/1991 Walsh CD mastering (quite different from the 1990 mastering of the title track for the CD box set, already posted)
    4. The 1998 Bob Norberg CD mastering
    5. An actual clip from the new 2009 LP!

Please direct your browsers and ears to:

[MOD: Dead link removed. See here instead: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...small-hours-1955.200429/page-14#post-9546421]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  20. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Thanks for the time and effort you put into the comparisons and thanks to the other forum members who provided samples. Some differences are subtle and some will knock you out of your chair...Randy

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's just what it sounds like. Do you have a stereo copy of the Sinatra OF LOVE AND THINGS compilation? Put on "Something Wonderful Happens In Summer" and fold it down. Should have that same, buzzy sound.

22. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

So I guess the best CD version of the actual whole album would be the one from the 21 disc British box.

23. MLutthans

Hey! Anybody have a sample...... :D

24. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I don't think anybody on this forum has that set.

Any preferences so far?

25. MLutthans

Well, your disc sounds great, as do the other 1955 pressings that were sent, and as does my 1955 copy. (Yours, by the way, seems to have the best tone of the 55's, at least to my ears, but they all sound good.) I was surprised at how good the 1981 green label LP sounded, and at how good the MFSL sounded. I had been avoiding that LP for years, but at least that title track sounds very nice. (I haven't played the rest of the LP on this go-round.)

In the CD realm, the Walsh, to my ears, is miles above the Norberg in terms of tone, but there sure is a lot of reverb to deal with, and it's stereo to boot, as is Norberg.

The 180 gram 2009 LP, based on the single clip, is certainly a letdown, and just continues to be a source of the ongoing frustration of: Why is it so dang hard for Capitol to take the 1955 tapes and issue a CD or LP from those tapes? Seriously!

I think the west-coast 1955 pressing is the only "absolute 10" that I've heard. The other 1955 LPs (my own included) are a good strong 9, and if the rest of the MFSL is as close to the original as the title track, I'll give that a 9 also, but that's a big if. The green label would earn about an 8.5 sonically, but it's missing 3/8ths of the album -- that's almost half, folks! Walsh gets an 8 for his 1987 CD remaster, as it sums to mono pretty well, and the tone is good. Norberg's sums to mono, too, but that tone drags it down to about a 6 for me. The Disky CD gets a 4 sonically, and 1973 British Capitol gets a 0. Geez, that thing is horrendous, and again, I really think that somebody goofed on that one and it slipped past the goalie. That should never have seen the light of day, period. It's like the old tobacco joke, redux: "Do you have Sinatra in a can?"

My two cents....

Matt

vonwegen and Izozeles like this.